Grand Californian Super Thread

Do the Disneyland hotels offer any incentive to skip housekeeping the way they do at WDW? We will opt out of housekeeping either way, since we don't like people in our rooms... but didn't know if there was a benefit to doing it at the desk vs leaving up the do not disturb all the time.

Do the Disneyland hotels offer any incentive to skip housekeeping the way they do at WDW? We will opt out of housekeeping either way, since we don't like people in our rooms... but didn't know if there was a benefit to doing it at the desk vs leaving up the do not disturb all the time.
Even with the do not disturb they will enter the room for a room check daily.

Even with the do not disturb they will enter the room for a room check daily.

I figured they were still doing that, but that's usually less invasive than housekeeping. The room checks in the past have been mostly a cursory glance, not moving things around. We always opt out of housekeeping when we stay at hotels of any kind.

I figured they were still doing that, but that's usually less invasive than housekeeping. The room checks in the past have been mostly a cursory glance, not moving things around. We always opt out of housekeeping when we stay at hotels of any kind.
They usually empty the trash as well during the room checks.

What if you're DVC owner, but just staying at the hotel? Any perks there?

If you reserved ANY of the DLR Hotels on points (NO CASH) then SELF PARKING IS ALWAYS FREE ! :teacher: `
Obviously you are charged for Valet at the villa side as well as all the other hotels.

If you reserved ANY of the DLR Hotels on points (NO CASH) then SELF PARKING IS ALWAYS FREE ! :teacher: `
Obviously you are charged for Valet at the villa side as well as all the other hotels.
So checked in yesterday and they were backed up a little -- made small talk with the CM and she noted that we were newly minted VGC owners but no points loaded yet and staying on cash pay hotel GCH when I inquired about the parking.

When we got to the desk, they were finishing checking in and the manager on duty came by, welcome home! greeting and reviewed option for owners -- then went ahead and comped the self-parking as a welcome home initial visit! Already loving this place. After day 1 in the park and taking a few hours relax during the insanely packed parks today; dragged into the hotel at 1130p -- taking all but 5minutes to get to the HOTEL room. So much different than our standards along Harbor.

DW - 'oh i can get used to this real fast' - totally agree

you really can’t make that direct price comparison. For one, the retail booking is cancellable, the David’s rental is not. The retail booking also includes daily housekeeping, There is also some risk and loss of control with the rental booking. These things all have a price associated with them. (Especially the housekeeping has a real price, and the cancellability would be equal to an insurance cost.). Probably David’s could charge another few dollars per point, but not anywhere near what you calculated. As an owner (at WDW not GCH), If I can’t use the points for whatever reason, renting them out is a nice option to have.

true, but even accounting for a “CFAR” trip insurance policy and a generous $$ value on housekeeping (I personally opt out, but I have friends who depend on/look forward to it), there’s a huge gap between what Dave’s can offer an owner vs the true market value for a 1bd suite.

it really all boils down to cost basis, value proposition, and the amount of time/hassle an owner is willing to go through to rent out points.

who knows, I’ll be 75 years old in 2060....very good chance I’ll punt the points to Dave for those last 2 years of contract:hourglass

So checked in yesterday and they were backed up a little -- made small talk with the CM and she noted that we were newly minted VGC owners but no points loaded yet and staying on cash pay hotel GCH when I inquired about the parking.

When we got to the desk, they were finishing checking in and the manager on duty came by, welcome home! greeting and reviewed option for owners -- then went ahead and comped the self-parking as a welcome home initial visit! Already loving this place. After day 1 in the park and taking a few hours relax during the insanely packed parks today; dragged into the hotel at 1130p -- taking all but 5minutes to get to the HOTEL room. So much different than our standards along Harbor.

DW - 'oh i can get used to this real fast' - totally agree

What a great post! Glad your first day as a new VGC owner went well! Wishing you lots of pixie dust on your trip.

What is, typically, the quietest room category and/or location in the GCH? I am consider booking a Woods-Courtyard View - is that a good choice for, hopefully, a quiet room? And, if so, is there a particular floor or area you would request when booking this category?

What is, typically, the quietest room category and/or location in the GCH? I am consider booking a Woods-Courtyard View - is that a good choice for, hopefully, a quiet room? And, if so, is there a particular floor or area you would request when booking this category?
I personally think that is a good one for a quiet room, and it is the one we always book. However, some of these rooms on the lower floors face out to the lobby, which is a large, open space (if you have not been to the GCH, the lobby is open all the way up). This can be noisy because you can sometimes here people there, the piano playing (which I actually like), etc. In general I still think Woods Courtyard is the best choice for quiet. I would just put in “quiet area” as your only room request, and ask again at check in if you are in a quiet area of the resort.

I'm staying at the VGC in early April, and I have a late-afternoon flight on my check-out day, which is Day 6 of my trip, so I don't want to use a park ticket that day.

What I have been unable to find out is if there are lockers and showers in the pool area for using after you don't have access to your room. Thanks!
One thing to note, sometimes there are toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash) in the lockers and sometimes not (at least last time I checked). So that can put a real damper on using those showers if your toiletries are locked in your luggage in Bell Services (my personal experience). So you may want to swing by the locker room/showers at the pool a day or so before your planned departure and confirm they currently have toiletries, or put some in your “day bag” that you aren’t giving to Bell Services, before you leave your room for check out day.

They are ALL quiet. Concrete on 5.5 sides. Just keep the balcony door closed. Quietest would be Brisa Courtyard with the door open.

If you want quiet, stay away from rooms that face DTD. They have music (live and/or recorded) that plays throughout the day and into the evening. Can be heard even when the door to your balcony is closed.

They are ALL quiet.
If you want quiet, stay away from rooms that face DTD. They have music (live and/or recorded) that plays throughout the day and into the evening. Can be heard even when the door to your balcony is closed.

Not ALL quiet...DTD facing rooms as mentioned as well as rooms that have doors immedaltly off the main lobby are pretty noisy in my experience.

I once request "close to main elevators" and they gave me just that...the room NEXT to the elevator! Elevators did not make a peep but all of the noise from guests in the lobby could be heard in the room as it echoed through the vaulted lobby.

Other than those, GCH is one of the quietest hotels I have stayed at....and have stayed at WAY too many.

Thank you all for your advice - I booked the Woods/Courtyard View and will place a "quiet room" request on the reservation. Now to plan the rest of the trip!!! :)

If you haven't already, try sleeping with a white noise app on your phone. Most apps have other sounds to choose from if white noise is not your thing. It's not for everyone, but can really smooth out things that go bump in the night; Especially in a busy hotel.

So this is not pulling up when I search but I am sure it is on here somewhere- I am a DVC member so I know I get free parking. But can I park in that lot all day when I check out - also what if I leave in the afternoon can I come back and use that lot till the end of the day- the website says you have to show your room key to exit so not sure how this would work. I know that you can use the pool etc all day but can’t seem to find the info on parking! Thanks

So this is not pulling up when I search but I am sure it is on here somewhere- I am a DVC member so I know I get free parking. But can I park in that lot all day when I check out - also what if I leave in the afternoon can I come back and use that lot till the end of the day- the website says you have to show your room key to exit so not sure how this would work. I know that you can use the pool etc all day but can’t seem to find the info on parking! Thanks

Yes. As a resort guest you have full parking privileges the entire day of check in and check out.

We are staying at the Grand Californian for the first time ever March 15-19. We booked the Woods-Courtyard room for two adults and 1 child but requested a room with two queens (two adults preferring not to share bed) and a day bed for my 8 year old.

My understanding is that the rooms with the day beds are given preference for parties of 5. Anyone know what all bed configuration they have for the Woods -Courtyard rooms? Do any of them do bunkbeds? Are little guy has special needs and often a hard time traveling. It helps to prep him with pictures of our room so he knows what to expect, but it seems like we may not know the exact set up until check in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!