Grand Cayman Excursions

gonepincrazy

Mouseketeer
Can anyone recommend snorkeling and/or beach Grand Cayman excursions (Disney or others)? We're sailing on the Magic with 2 teenaged boys and we are all experienced snorkelers so not sure if only the snorkeling at Stingray City will satisfy DH and our boys. Really would like an excursion with snorkeling at a couple of spots including the stingrays. Would like input too on other Grand Cayman excursions by previous cruisers as to recommendations. TIA

You've got to have them try a scuba resort course..its for people who have never done scuba before..trust me if they love snorkeling this will be a winner. We loved it..We did it a while ago(pre-babies), its fabulous

They show you all the basics and then you get to dive Eden Rock with the instructor, SO amazing...You're surrpounded by fish of all colors and we saw a few stingrays and tarpons...someone else in our group saw a turtle but we missed it.

Abanks Diving Center, at Paradise

I think they will love it...you as well!!!!!

Thanks so much for the info! DH and I are actually both certified divers but it's been a while so we would need a refresher course and actually I now prefer snorkeling (getting too old I guess). :) We will look into other snorkeling excursions (other than Disney) so we may see more than just the stingrays (unless DH insists on scuba). Thanks again!

We visted GC this past Sept. and went out with the Capt. Marvin guys for the 3 stop snorkel trip. My wife and I are in the mids 50s and we were thrilled. They made two snorkle stops before going to Stingray Sandbar. The boat was clean and the crew were wonderful. There were two ladies who went out with us and scuba dived with video equipment. They recorded everything from below us and then got some great shots on the boat and with the Stingrays. We bought the video ($54 with shipping) and watch it all the time.
On this trip there were several young couples, 20s, a family with 12-14 yo girls and us old folk. Everyone had a ball.
My son and his wife are going in Nov and they are going with Capt. Marvin as well.
I would like to do the full day next time which includes lunch.

Have a great time,

Russ

Thanks, Russ! I think Captain Marvins it is then! I would love the video - is that done with every trip or maybe I should request when booking.

I know that others have posted about the girls going out with them as well. I talked to the one who sold us the tape and her name is LaRene Wilkinson. Her email is vip@candw.ky. She and her husband are from Canada and love diving. A not so good combo so they shucked it all and moved to the Caymans. She does video and photography and he teaches diving.
Capt. Mavins web site is here http://www.captainmarvins.com/. I booked through the web site and had no problems.
We carried our own gear but the stuff they had looked clean and in good condition. They also have the float vests on board for eveyone.
On our second stop one of the guys went down and played with a nurse shark and a green eel. He brought the eel up for eveyone to see but there was a mass exodus before he got to the top. Be sure to pack a couple of disposable underwater cameras. We shot amost two full cameras on this trip.

Again, have a great trip. Wish we were going with you.
Russ

Thanks so much, everyone! I am going to e mail Captain Marvin and LaRene. I love photograhy myself and am taking my underwater camera. On our last cruise (Magic eastern) my DH was ready to shuck it all himself and run a catamaran like the Golden Eagle. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter