Grand Cayman port excursion, not through DCL

Hatay

Earning My Ears
I'm new here and our family of 5 has never cruised before, this will be our first Disney experience. And we have to wait until Oct 2018. But I'm very excited! I started looking at activities to do while in the ports. Has anyone booked a Stingray city tour through Viator? It is supposed to last about 3 hours. I think we'd have to book the afternoon time and pick up runs from 11-1, so by the time we get off the boat, get picked up, and go on the excursion, I'm afraid we'll arrive back to the ship too late. Any insight is much appreciated!

I'm new here and our family of 5 has never cruised before, this will be our first Disney experience. And we have to wait until Oct 2018. But I'm very excited! I started looking at activities to do while in the ports. Has anyone booked a Stingray city tour through Viator? It is supposed to last about 3 hours. I think we'd have to book the afternoon time and pick up runs from 11-1, so by the time we get off the boat, get picked up, and go on the excursion, I'm afraid we'll arrive back to the ship too late. Any insight is much appreciated!
Be aware, excursions from cruise ships use local excursion companies. Often they have exclusive contracts. Meaning that a private tour company will not book people from a cruise ship, if they have an exclusive contract with the cruiseline.

Also, many private tour companies will not book you if they know you won't be able to get back to the ship in time.

What are the port times?

Be aware, excursions from cruise ships use local excursion companies. Often they have exclusive contracts. Meaning that a private tour company will not book people from a cruise ship, if they have an exclusive contract with the cruiseline.

Also, many private tour companies will not book you if they know you won't be able to get back to the ship in time.

What are the por

I think the ship is in port from 10:30-5:30. That particular tour company runs am pick ups from 9-10:30/11 and pm pick ups from 11-1.
Also, I was looking on the DCL port adventures site and the age requirement for some of the excursions is 5. My youngest child will be 4 1/2 when we cruise. Do they make exceptions? Some of the private companies have a lower age requirement, if any at all. Thanks

I think the ship is in port from 10:30-5:30. That particular tour company runs am pick ups from 9-10:30/11 and pm pick ups from 11-1.
Also, I was looking on the DCL port adventures site and the age requirement for some of the excursions is 5. My youngest child will be 4 1/2 when we cruise. Do they make exceptions? Some of the private companies have a lower age requirement, if any at all. Thanks
No, DCL age requirements are set in stone. It has to do with liability. Private tour operators take bigger risks, usually, allowing younger ages than DCL does.

GC specific;

If you book thru DCL, you will meet up almost one hour too early. Then wait 30 minutes, then be herded like cattle, out of ship. Then line up for debark, then line up again ashore for stickers, GPS Chips, and what not. Then finally board A/C buses, then drive, ..... So 2 hours min wasted , IMO.
Average attendance on a DCL excursion; 30 - 100 pax.

Or you could pay similar or less, and have a much better private experience as noted.
Thru many companies available.
Also these private companies allow younger children, unlike DCL excursions.
Average attendance on any particular private excursion.; 4 - 16 pax. :)

Private Charter;
Get up when you want almost. Definitely later than the DCL folks.
Casually walk of the DCL vessel with others at your leisure.
Link up with your Charter Representative ashore.
It's simple. They are there ashore where you come ashore with a sign usually.
You can't miss them. They will find you.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/our-tours

Enjoy excursion.

Oh, wait, problem. You want to come back.
Will never happen on a DCL excursion, Well unless you are dying. lol .

On a private excursion.;
Oh you want to go back to ship? Sure. Lets go.
Oh, you want to go to beach, store, bar, mountain, etc, . No problem.

Never going to happen on a DCL excursion.

We always try to avoid the cattle calls on all our travels.

Cruise ships are notorious for their cattle calls.

Of all places to do a private excursion, this is the port IMO.
If they will give your deposit back due to missing the port.
Even if they don't, it's still worth it.

Grand Cayman port is missed often due to weather, currents, seas.

HTH

Last edited:

GC specific;

If you book thru DCL, you will meet up almost one hour too early. Then wait 30 minutes, then be herded like cattle, out of ship. Then line up for debark, then line up again ashore for stickers, GPS Chips, and what not. Then finally board A/C buses, then drive, ..... So 2 hours min wasted , IMO.
Average attendance on a DCL excursion; 30 - 100 pax.

Or you could pay similar or less, and have a much better private experience as noted.
Thru many companies available.
Also these private companies allow younger children, unlike DCL excursions.
Average attendance on any particular private excursion.; 4 - 16 pax. :)

Private Charter;
Get up when you want almost. Definitely later than the DCL folks.
Casually walk of the DCL vessel with others at your leisure.
Link up with your Charter Representative ashore.
It's simple. They are there ashore where you come ashore with a sign usually.
You can't miss them. They will find you.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/our-tours

Enjoy excursion.

Oh, wait, problem. You want to come back.
Will never happen on a DCL excursion, Well unless you are dying. lol .

On a private excursion.;
Oh you want to go back to ship? Sure. Lets go.
Oh, you want to go to beach, store, bar, mountain, etc, . No problem.

Never going to happen on a DCL excursion.

We always try to avoid the cattle calls on all our travels.

Cruise ships are notorious for their cattle calls.

Of all places to do a private excursion, this is the port IMO.
If they will give your deposit back due to missing the port.
Even if they don't, it's still worth it.

Grand Cayman port is missed often due to weather, currents, seas.

HTH

We did a private charter on GC and it was sooooo worth it. We had 12 going, but it was the guy's biggest boat that he told us he was selling the week after we were there! Now he just does smaller groups. The group had adults, kids, and special needs teens, and the Captain did a great job with everyone. It was lovely to be scooped up when we got off the ship and not have to wait while others got their acts together. We did a DCL beach excursion in Cozumel, and while the park was cool, never again with the cattle call - it wasn't a long day, and once you eat 1-2 hours off each end to herd everyone to and from buses... plus we were ready to go back and our bus wasn't, because stragglers, of course... what a mess.

What was also lovely is, because we were a small group on a small boat, we could basically race to the stingrays before the crowds got there. There were some *huge* boats pulling in, stuffed with people, as we were finishing up.

Note that we also paid cash. Which was a little scary because I forgot to actually bring purposeful excursion cash, but fortunately my husband had his gambling winnings in his wallet!! But, had we not been able to dock, no worries about fighting for a refund, losing a deposit, etc.

http://www.7seascayman.com/

If you can swing a private charter on Grand Cayman, DO IT!! This is definitely the port to do it, as there are many places that can be visited by boat, and most DCL charters only visit one or two. We know GC well (and have lots of boating experience), so last time booked a ski boat for the day! We went across the bay to Kaibo Grill, Starfish Point, Stingray city, Rum Point, and did a lot of snorkeling in different spots. It was my favorite day of the entire trip.

Also, Captain Marvins is another excursion company that we have used and been really happy.

This is all great information! Anybody have any suggestions for activities in Cozumel or Falmouth?

This is all great information! Anybody have any suggestions for activities in Cozumel or Falmouth?

Cozumel has a lot of great beaches and excursions, etc. its easy to grab a cab and do your own thing like beaches etc. i have used Viator in the past when traveling to europe and have had good experience with them, even though they just subcontract a local company sometimes their prices are better than going direct.

I can't say for Falmouth, only had Jamaica on the itinerary once and got diverted due to weather.

.... It was lovely to be scooped up when we got off the ship and not have to wait while others got their acts together. ....

What was also lovely is, because we were a small group on a small boat, we could basically race to the stingrays before the crowds got there. There were some *huge* boats pulling in, stuffed with people, as we were finishing up.

Thanks so much for your detailed report.

I quoted the two points that most should know booking these excursions.

Red for emphasis obviously. OP said it very well. No reason to expand, although you know I want to.

Do your research. ....

Enjoy

Last edited:
Falmouth was very underwhelming. I don't remember which, but 2 other cruise lines are pulling out due to the hyperagressive 'selling' in town. We did the Good Hope house tour and were disappointed (FA28). We loved the Tulum tour in Cozumel & the Stingray City snorkel in GC but we'll stay on the ship in Jamaica for our next W. Carib cruise.

Of note: for the Tulum tour, we got back 5 minutes after all aboard, but they held the ship as we were on a DCL port adventures. There're pros and cons to both approaches (PA vs. private tour). For the Tulum tour, we were playing it safe by going DCL PA and purchased peace of mind re: reboarding because of the travel times to and from the site. In GC & Stingray City, the travel times aren't as long, so I'd be more comfortable freelance. Again, pros and cons to both.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

We've probably had our best excursions on the Western itinerary. In Cozumel we did the Baby Turtle Release, took a taxi to Paradise Beach, and did the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab National Park. The beach at the park is nice, there's a sea lion show, pool, restaurant - even if you don't do the dolphin swim. They have less expensive dolphin interactions as well. In Falmouth we've done the Heritage Walk and tubing on the Rio Bueno. Your youngest may be too young for tubing. All of the excursions I mentioned were excellent and I'd do any one of them again. Jamaica gets mixed reviews about going off on your own so take that into consideration for your family. My daughter(8) and I did the tubing through the cruise line (Royal Carib) and it was almost a private tour. I have, however, seen the Disney groups and it is pretty much the cattle herding mentioned above.

You will easily be able to find excursions/taxis in each port when you get off the ship. You can also book in advance - check TripAdvisor or Cruise Critic reviews - all good info. Allow enough time to get back to the ship and you won't have any problems. Many people worry about missing the ship but it rarely happens. A tour operator's livelihood depends on getting everyone back to the ship and getting good reviews! I haven't used Viator in the Caribbean (used them in China - I'd give them mixed reviews there). I have used ShoreTrips.com in the Bahamas - and it was a good excursion.

Falmouth was very underwhelming. I don't remember which, but 2 other cruise lines are pulling out due to the hyperagressive 'selling' in town.

That is incorrect information. It was a rumor that had to do with RCI's Allure, which was actually changing itineraries to accommodate RCI's newest ship, Symphony. If there really was an issue, I'm sure Disney would not continue to visit Falmouth.

That is incorrect information. It was a rumor that had to do with RCI's Allure, which was actually changing itineraries to accommodate RCI's newest ship, Symphony. If there really was an issue, I'm sure Disney would not continue to visit Falmouth.

Actually, it's not. "Two Royal Caribbean ships and one from Celebrity Cruises will call on other ports in the Caribbean for the upcoming cruise season." and "...three reason expressed by the Falmouth mayor for the disruption of arrivals at the port: (1) "visitor harassment," (2) the "conduct of tour bus operators," and (3) "craft vendors leaving much to be desired.""

While my memory was somewhat incorrect (cruise lines aren't abandoning Falmouth), there is a withdrawal. In addition, companies like Magical Cruise Company (DCL) and others have contracts with the cities where their ships berth establishing services rendered (tending, water, power...) and costs associated therein while the cruise lines commit to number of port visits (weather permitting). As such, depending on the contracts in place, it may be financially unpalatable for the companies to wholesale refuse to send their ships to the cities lest they be found in breach of contract. The penalties can be significant. While I found Falmouth unpleasant, the return on investment to the company may tilt their activities in a certain direction.

Actually, it's not. "Two Royal Caribbean ships and one from Celebrity Cruises will call on other ports in the Caribbean for the upcoming cruise season." and "...three reason expressed by the Falmouth mayor for the disruption of arrivals at the port: (1) "visitor harassment," (2) the "conduct of tour bus operators," and (3) "craft vendors leaving much to be desired.""

While my memory was somewhat incorrect (cruise lines aren't abandoning Falmouth), there is a withdrawal. In addition, companies like Magical Cruise Company (DCL) and others have contracts with the cities where their ships berth establishing services rendered (tending, water, power...) and costs associated therein while the cruise lines commit to number of port visits (weather permitting). As such, depending on the contracts in place, it may be financially unpalatable for the companies to wholesale refuse to send their ships to the cities lest they be found in breach of contract. The penalties can be significant. While I found Falmouth unpleasant, the return on investment to the company may tilt their activities in a certain direction.

The mayor in Flamouth gave the info to the newspaper - it is not true and there are reasons to the shifting of ships - http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/news-of-falmouth-jamaica-s-decline-is-premature.html. We're on the Harmony next year and going to Falmouth. Whatever the mayor has said, RCI has not given any such statement of pulling ships for the reasons the mayor stated. We've had great excursions in Falmouth but hate the whole touristy port area. Looking forward to returning next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts