Grand Floridian during the Christmas Season?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
We are not staying here, but I keep hearing that you absolutely "must" visit the GF during the Christmas season. I know about the Gingerbread house and beautiful tree. I've read that they sometimes have a live pianist and orchestra playing and that Mickey & Minnie will stop by for photos. Is there any way of finding out when these things happen? Are there other "must sees and dos" at the GF during the season? We're going the last week of Nov/first part of December. We plan on doing breakfast at 1900 Park Faire, then browsing the resort.

Yes, the tree and the gingerbread house is wonderful. Grab a stink from Mizner's and wander around the lobby. Best time to do that is when the band is playing.

The GF is extra special at Christmas time, plus it even smells like Christmas in there :)

I don't know about Mickey and Minnie but the rest is true. It really is beautiful. If I were making a special trip to GF just to see the decorations, I'd do the entire monorail loop and boat over to WL as well. GF this past Dec.
Gingerbread house
uryMZzal2iMIvs6hL9RcnzAWjAOkRQXVHuOJYRHi0a1YoXPd7KOW6agrVQZTS3OtfKYRAAmpMO6Yi7N5AFakrKTX-yc9Sx6QHoayqG1ES4dtsJIdnOgOG7mBPj5l6adF_biUgE6YdzSEKLtuHwKsMmDZjAyOGtEbH0RQjqpG2ry1NQQKMplpqXrTAezYzd6_DdrfEAPV7vLsFnGGnF-hJt27bTqzyaNmBZNgcx49Xgyg6PJwl_3KWkFe6iD0CZnGhNTWeaSBexDGfp_OoSykUVTy7B9YQNKpAglpsXz8aSYMAC8Ol5v8xMrx8jcYqSwfRPQfCFjKsxckuZwnih0g7mf_I6GF9yvkQj7RGPjVkfsU7xoNcNjLrE3drex_74nge3brKQgQSaSBx3C4C-egQgDPTXvYgo14-5BhZRXPGhZPipqSG8wfsaXUMMm7ktdtT1vsCsevDo9e4dNG3IlaRePcMTVHGure9ie8oqk7yD6bf29JS7lU7JE22JFsrT-7f3cU-03tVAoIcADSjthddJgmu-exMWmGksuHmfbQXnHGWixFyZN56U9Bz484YGboNlIcw8BBKsv7rLn34jmVrQ6VtK_gBC5LmAsjscs=w1771-h1328-no

Lobby tree
JFGMO1ouOAPD449vL83BL6MInxyrqqqCZnUjkxTYp0-8Y2LACSFLYByrKLtz8yj0KZlU7CWGNQKC1co641aYcLpWmkl-xyOqoc_uEQmTvK-5AzUhsXW84CAHLufHWk9L-jBTkgeXAtgcqeTYKTqKHpcbPcQRuU5uUBMsdPCIeBMmRmXqn8tGkCYGLMKukfrLEe8lL3nBYXtuKRDWP1SrnqTAEpd-eP5PSV6AdMaW96F5BsM9FfQCByYbhpsJ2rr3hrcfwHknGW8f5l4GCqgBj8RRV_yl6FqjZJ27ucgw4tpBsg1rC46Jji1zBPU39P8fJV5gLmFqfrGnzjv89w9E4oefvKV5QLcMoqUTCbaKxgc-qluSyOPP2FE9hp5QpgAwIDBQD2woEKV8GLPN1N88DpcVVkvnTX3I1opLtbv5CWLyxtapqW0vLqbdHQbd83dsCm0R-4jXGqXp95MMG-CDXakFbShxaHCdUsRbGjys1nKIxjM2JgtkO3Du9lZLazuUqMSxQubyWfkoIZKz7voAzRJ-CoGv_cP4P7-PtofA-hel-Yznn0uhuvC6BokRzOLZwbXHsu4qKtkOBKv3qU4VAHJacE-xgk5773uoWuU=w997-h1328-no

Detail on the Gingerbread house
6Pz2eLmZgngcdfBuBrplpGpJu3sNWs9w-2D5cIl7F9jg_kDOH3vcbkmSjJBvQ4RzKvCuGMWhLpdoEV-kX0ePe6FpGbPVtodsiLB-x0tR1UaE3lqIjFJGfpTLRO_ESiW1fpxLnpUaZ-_KhxuEi7mJOg7c2DeoVnDPrRDWZRh7pErxB7QJscAEphfSB9Jwtx1XZWluwb_rXxY693XFhRPMgBVl3X9A4rPWmUL-SHWjmJ0QobNPStaLKqn-srva_v6mazZF2ifurNS3cl8AEAlDkeG_J0zVJgkawMVgDiczlh1Xe7ecGw8K5ispip9VFnfpHsayF_jWNiimSmzqFETWTYVEFbcRoMkF7tE113VNtWhA9_aepOt4Ddn0alZi1PNyIEQcJTbAl_6BHPekryPcZEu-C8sbuAfSHheFRwhjZQl8BKfkhvFwCLjBh3nW-SMGwQyq59ZQ0EsH2f2QTDj7ELlz9HfVMm48Lz6FtY_O4cJu8DXzmaUwH5mjgq5Gg2sOvmxFoTZf-QoP-P8W9iLOJj6bSYhG_KdhmcIvrjyq2IMKXkjm4IR4PVtnuPZiVqCh2vagPT7jZPM2SMADUNDA7M34ztUS5BjxkrTefI8=w1771-h1328-no

Mickey and Minnie have been there in the final days leading up to Christmas, but not in late November/early December.

I LOVE the GF at Christmas time. But I would not give up park time on a short trip to see anything at a resort. So if I could do it on a day I wasn't able to go to a park, I would. If not, I would skip it.

We've done it several times and loved it. But those were 10 day trips when we needed a break anyway.

Mickey and Minnie have been there in the final days leading up to Christmas, but not in late November/early December.

I LOVE the GF at Christmas time. But I would not give up park time on a short trip to see anything at a resort. So if I could do it on a day I wasn't able to go to a park, I would. If not, I would skip it.

We've done it several times and loved it. But those were 10 day trips when we needed a break anyway.

Our last day is just going to be a non park day.

We are not staying here, but I keep hearing that you absolutely "must" visit the GF during the Christmas season. I know about the Gingerbread house and beautiful tree. I've read that they sometimes have a live pianist and orchestra playing and that Mickey & Minnie will stop by for photos. Is there any way of finding out when these things happen? Are there other "must sees and dos" at the GF during the season? We're going the last week of Nov/first part of December. We plan on doing breakfast at 1900 Park Faire, then browsing the resort.
The orchestra and pianist play in the lobby every day of the year. But the earliest that they start playing is mid-aftternoon. The schedule of times is listed on the Disney website.

We spent a bit of time visiting the GF during the end of 2017 and start of 2018. I'll never forget an observation DGD made about the way people were dressed NYE. Most people wore their holiday best that evening. Women in taffeta and satin dresses and men in suits. Lots of waltzing in the lobby near the piano and Christmas tree. Very festive and distinctly un-Disney like. She wanted to know why people were so dressed up and I reminded her how we also dressed for NYE and she said "But that's in the real world", LOL.

I don't know where the GF schedule is listed but guess you can find it on the mydisney link for that specific hotel.

Our last day is just going to be a non park day.

I think visiting/exploring the GF is a great idea for your non-park day. As others have said, the GF is beautiful during the holidays, with a very festive atmosphere. Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

I have this planned, too. We will spend the morning and early afternoon at MK, then take the boat over to GF to see the gingerbread house, and buy a few "shingles". Then we will take the monorail over to Contemporary to see their display, and eat dinner at Contempo Cafe. Then back on the monorail to MK so we can grab the bus back to AKL. I am planning on doing this early in the trip to get the Christmas vibe going!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter