Grand Floridian or Beach Club?

Shanti

Momketeer
This would be for midsummer 2019. Any opinions from those who have stayed at both resorts? And I don't want to do a split stay, btw.

Hi Shanti!

We have stayed in both and loved our stays in both!! I guess that it depends partly upon where you want to spend most of your vacation? Epcot/DHS or MK? With all the work going on at DHS and soon, Epcot, that may have a positive or negative impact on staying at BWI, depending upon your perspective.

Our experiences/opinions FWIW:
BC
BC is centrally located, with convenient walking distance to both Epcot and DHS. We loved the beach feel and the proximity to Epcot makes you feel like you are staying in World Showcase - especially from the rooms that are closest to the IG. Dining options are plentiful and good with four other Epcot resorts and World showcase all just steps away. Rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. Some standard view rooms also allow views of the high fireworks from Illuminations. Storm Along Bay is a very special pool.
The things that we didn't like about the BC and few and very minor, but here they are: hallways inside are very long, winding and convoluted; some rooms have small balconies; room size varies (some are relatively small, almost cramped) and not all rooms even have a daybed.

GF
I'll start by sharing that the MK resorts are personal favourites. Any resort with a view of Cinderella's castle is magical to me. Also, the monorail, though not perfect anymore, still feels like a quintessential part of a Disney stay for us. The GF, Poly and CR are our three favourite resorts by far. If I were choosing between the BWI and the GF, it would be no contest. The GF has larger rooms, all with reasonably good views and almost all with balconies. The buss top has more seats than any other resort bus stop. The boat ride to the Poly and the MK is my favourite mode of Disney transportation. period. LOVE IT! Dining at the GF is great. From V & A's to Gasparilla's, we enjoy the dining options here (and at the neighbouring resorts of the Poly and CR) as the best that WDW has to offer. I love the beautiful lobby with frequent live music, the flowers in the lobby, the gorgeous pools, the walkway to the Poly and the peaceful feeling that a stay here brings.
Things that I do not like about a stay at the GF: transportation to any theme park other than the MK is less convenient - especially to Epcot, monorail transportation can be especially problematic. Also, unless you are staying RPC, you have to go outside to access any restaurants/shops/transportation.

I know that you aren't interested in a split stay, but It is what I would do (and have done) with exactly these two resorts. So, you obviously have great taste in resorts! LOL!

It looks like you have stayed at the GF in the past (as well as in other Epcot area resorts), so I doubt that I have said anything that you don't already know. It is nice to hear others' perspectives, however, when making these difficult choices. :)

BTW: I'm so envious of your two upcoming Disney Cruises!!! We still haven't been on one, but it is on my bucket list! For some reason, the timing has never been quite right.

Enjoy!!!

I've stayed at both and as Babsy said, it all depends on your goals. If you are going to spend more time at MK, GF is the way to go, if Epcot/HS is your thing, BC is the way to go.

BC biggest advantage is within walking distance to both Epcot and HS, literally less than 5 min. to IG at Epcot. Pretty resort, very kid friendly if you have kids and the pool is a big draw. The fact that it is kid friendly is a disadvantage to me, I prefer YC because it is more adult themed. The pool is not a draw to me, I prefer the quiet pools. You are not guaranteed a full balcony at BC, there is a good chance you will get one of those silly Juliete ones, again a disadvantage to me because I love sitting on the balcony at the beginning and end of the day.

GF biggest advantage is within monorail/boat ride to MK and from certain rooms you can see the castle. Disadvantage for me you have to rely on the monorail to get to Epcot, I dislike the monorail with a passion. There is a big possibility you will be in one of the buildings that are not attached to the main building, which some find a disadvantage, never bothered me. Again, not a fan of the main pool but love the quiet pools. Love, love, love, love the lobby, it is slightly more adult themed than BC.

Given a choice and all things being equal, I'd choose BC just because we love Epcot and HS and as I said, I hate not being given a choice other than the monorail to get to Epcot.

We've stayed at both multiple times and you can't go wrong with either. I would make my choice based on where you'll spend the most time - MK or DHS/EP. I think as an overall resort, I prefer GF. The rooms are beautiful and I feel like the overall service is better. But, in terms of the amount of restaurants, amenities and parks within walking distance, BC really is amazing.

We’ve stayed at both-GF once and BC many times. While we liked the convenience to MK, we didn’t really enjoy the GF. We were in one of the outer buildings and it just felt isolated. That sounds strange because we love the Poly which is all outer buildings but something about it felt off.
We have visited many times and think it is beautiful. I think if we had been in the main building we would have liked it more.

We absolutely love the BC and entire Epcot area. We love strolling to Epcot in the evenings so BC is my pick over the GF.

Last edited:
It looks like you have stayed at the GF in the past (as well as in other Epcot area resorts), so I doubt that I have said anything that you don't already know. It is nice to hear others' perspectives, however, when making these difficult choices. :)
Yes, it does help to consider others' perspectives & experiences. I've stayed at Yacht Club a couple of times, so I've experienced Stormalong Bay, but I only stayed at GF for one night during a split stay, and we couldn't use GF's pool that day due to lightning. So I really don't have that much experience with GF, and Beach Club is the only deluxe I've never stayed at.

I've done multiple split stays & while they served their purpose, I'm kind of done with them and look forward to settling into a "home" resort for a week-long trip. I still can't decide which resort. MK is my favorite park, & seeing it from the GF is awesome, as is MK's easy proximity from GF. I love the monorail. I also remember really wanting to stay at GF when I saw it during my only WDW trip while growing up. But then again, I've never stayed at Beach Club and really love Stormalong Bay, Beaches & Cream, walking to mini-golf, etc. And it helps that Beach Club is less expensive. So I'm still mulling it over.

Mind if I ask your party size and the type of room/view at each your are considering? Or maybe you haven't gotten that far yet? What @Babsy said about BC's room sizes and lack of balconies/daybeds for some rooms weighs a bit heavy in my mind, but may not be an issue for your size/style.

(You know, by 2019 everyone will be going in the summer again ;))

Mind if I ask your party size and the type of room/view at each your are considering? Or maybe you haven't gotten that far yet? What @Babsy said about BC's room sizes and lack of balconies/daybeds for some rooms weighs a bit heavy in my mind, but may not be an issue for your size/style.

(You know, by 2019 everyone will be going in the summer again ;))
Ha ha ha. I don't know why they'd do that when summer at WDW is as hot as the face of the sun and oppressively crowded...It will likely be just my young son and I, so 2 double beds are all we'll need. I'm wondering what Beach Club bus service is like now. Do you know which resorts it shares with?

Btw, my back-up plan is to visit over Easter weekend 2019, if people start catching on to visiting in summer. Easter weekend this year was manageable. Shh! Don't tell anyone.

Ha ha ha. I don't know why they'd do that when summer at WDW is as hot as the face of the sun and oppressively crowded...It will likely be just my young son and I, so 2 double beds are all we'll need. I'm wondering what Beach Club bus service is like now. Do you know which resorts it shares with?

Btw, my back-up plan is to visit over Easter weekend 2019, if people start catching on to visiting in summer. Easter weekend this year was manageable. Shh! Don't tell anyone.

:laughing::laughing:

Ok, so room size doesn't really matter too much.

I've stayed at GF a couple of times now but I've only stayed at BC one night (last summer) so I'm woefully unqualified to comment on the BC side of things. I'm not sure how bus sharing goes there.

We're a relatively MK-centric family, we tend to spend most of our time there followed by Epcot. The transportation convenience of GF to MK can't be beat (one monorail stop away going, one boat stop away coming back).

My one minor nit about GF is that I feel "isolated" from Epcot when there. Monorail is the only option, and it just takes time with the transfers. I've used Taxi/Uber more often going/coming to Epcot from GF than the other resorts I've stayed at.

Not sure how young your son is.... my one night at BC last summer was just me and DS6 at the time. He wore me RAGGED in Storm Along Bay! We had a total blast... but boy was I tired that night! As a solo parent, I found myself missing the "simple" pools at other resorts where I could more easily keep an eye on him.

Really love both pools at GF - I probably wouldn't care for GF all that much if it weren't for the two pools. They keep me coming back.

For us, we're a bit stuck on the MK resorts and have had trouble really breaking away to anything else. A lot of it is the fireworks viewing from the resort, EWP, etc. It's our 'comfort zone' for sure.

Happy planning!

We were just at BC over Thanksgiving and we shared busses with YC.

:laughing::laughing:

Ok, so room size doesn't really matter too much.

I've stayed at GF a couple of times now but I've only stayed at BC one night (last summer) so I'm woefully unqualified to comment on the BC side of things. I'm not sure how bus sharing goes there.

We're a relatively MK-centric family, we tend to spend most of our time there followed by Epcot. The transportation convenience of GF to MK can't be beat (one monorail stop away going, one boat stop away coming back).

My one minor nit about GF is that I feel "isolated" from Epcot when there. Monorail is the only option, and it just takes time with the transfers. I've used Taxi/Uber more often going/coming to Epcot from GF than the other resorts I've stayed at.

Not sure how young your son is.... my one night at BC last summer was just me and DS6 at the time. He wore me RAGGED in Storm Along Bay! We had a total blast... but boy was I tired that night! As a solo parent, I found myself missing the "simple" pools at other resorts where I could more easily keep an eye on him.

Really love both pools at GF - I probably wouldn't care for GF all that much if it weren't for the two pools. They keep me coming back.

For us, we're a bit stuck on the MK resorts and have had trouble really breaking away to anything else. A lot of it is the fireworks viewing from the resort, EWP, etc. It's our 'comfort zone' for sure.

Happy planning!
I agree with you about the “simple” pools. While we love BC and stormalong bay, it is hard to keep an eye on 3 kids and one not so great swimmer.
I prefer the pools at
Poly and BWI for that reason.( the clown is not so scary in person!):earboy2:

Some bullet points from me (stayed at Yacht Club in September, Beach Club multiple times over the years, Grand Floridian for the first time last week)

Beach Club
  • one enclosed building - perk if the weather is bad
  • while I like Stornalong Bay, I personally find it chaotic and not relaxing
  • very limited hot food between the hours of 2 pm and 5 pm - it's Hanna's or one of the marketplaces with very, very limited menus (or the few items on the lounge menu)
  • no access to fill your refillable mug between 11:30 pm and 6:00 (?)
  • walk to Hollywood Studios (or boat - my hint for this is that it can get very crowded during peak park opening times and boats can get filled up - if that's the case, take a boat in the opposite direction to the Boardwalk Inn, get off and then take a boat to HS - you'll be sure to get on) - this will be a major perk mid-summer 2019 when Toy Story Land is open, I think Star Wars is not expected to open until late 2019
  • walk or boat to Epcot
  • walk or boat to Boardwalk and lots of entertainment
Grand Floridian
  • Outer buildings - if you are not staying club level in the main building you will need to walk to the main to access all of the amenities, some of the buildings seem a little isolated to me
  • monorail or boat to MK - we loved being just one hop (there and back) from MK for our Christmas trip since it was fairly focused on MK
  • Gasparillas is open 24 hours
  • monorail to the other resorts on the loop for access to restaurants
  • Fireworks view and EWP
  • sitting at a table outside Gasparillas with the castlel right in front of you
  • 2 very nice pools, although it can be a hike depending on your building
  • beautiful lobby that is a destination itself (this was a double-edged sword to us, since it always so crowded)
  • I went into the GF worrying it would feel stuffy, but once there I didn't get that vibe at all

This would be for midsummer 2019. Any opinions from those who have stayed at both resorts? And I don't want to do a split stay, btw.

We've stayed at both and while BC is a nice resort, my choice would be the GF. Like GADisneyDad, we love the MK area and prefer staying there over the Epcot area. The GF has 2 nice pools, beautiful grounds, and we find the dining options (both CS & TS) to be better. SAB is nice, but we weren't wow'd by it. I found it too spread out and somewhat chaotic at times. For me, nothing beats seeing the castle every day :wizard:.

We have stayed at both. We stayed at the BC many times when I was growing up and currently are DVC members at BWV and GFV. Personally, if you are going to focus on mostly the MK, then I would pick GF; however, if you are going to spend decent time at the other parks, then I would select BC because of the central location. The transportation from the BC would be only for the YC/BC, but the GF shares with the Polynesian (I believe). Personally, I think the transportation from the BC is better than the GF. If you plan to take mid-day breaks (which you should in the summer), then I would pick a resort where you would not be spending as much time to on transportation. From the BC to AK and MK are roughly 15 minutes. From the GF to the HS and AK would be closer to 20-25 minutes since it is not centrally located.

I have stayed at both and I prefer GF. Gasparilla's is hands down better than BC marketplace for quick service dining. Stormalong Bay was nice for sure, but I prefer being closer to MK and having the ability to easily get to the Poly, Contemporary etc. for dining. At the GF you can see the castle, watch the fireworks, and see the electrical water pageant which is no big deal but is still cute. While I liked YC/BC, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I'd go back, but I didn't get that wow feeling. I thought the GF felt more magical. To each his own.

You say you've stayed at Yacht Club a couple of times. Pretty much identical to Beach Club.
We have stayed at both Beach and Yacht. The only difference is room decor, sometimes the Beach Club lobby is livelier due to restaurant and the bus picks up at Yacht Club first, but we never had issue fitting on it when we were staying at Beach Club. Oh and chances are you won't get a full balcony at Beach Club.

We just stayed at Poly last trip. We liked it, but missed the Epcot resort area, a lot.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but the BC pool can be a challenge with young children. BCV is our home resort, and we love everything about it, but I would not take my DS6 there on my own. It is a very large area, the entrance for the slide is across the public walkway, and the lazy river is very deep. When we are there with our extended family with a lot of kids it works out great because they can stay together, but it would be challenge alone.

I have not stayed at the GF, it just isn't for me, but I love the Poly and that has always been a better option when we don't travel with the whole family. Also, if your son is younger, I think the GF has a children's play area by the pool like the Poly.

Thanks, everyone. I've decided on Beach Club. The deciding factor for me was the comparitive hot tub situations at each resort. I love hot tubs. Beach Club has three nice ones. After studying pictures, the GF pool area only seems to have one hot tub, and it looks small. That decided it for me, as decompressing in the hot tub is a big attraction for me and I like to do it daily on vacation.

As a bonus, I also appreciate being able to walk to the lobby/dining areas without going outside when it's raining. My son and I both love Stormalong Bay, and we've seen Epcot fireworks from the pool, and HS fireworks from the bridge over Crescent Lake.

The bus situation at Beach Club sounds like it's better now than it once was. The first time we stayed at Yacht Club, the buses were shared by Yacht, Beach, Dolphin, Swan and Boardwalk. Major yawn.:faint:

Last edited:
After staying at a few other resorts, I always pick BC as my home resort, we love the themeing and with being able to get into Epcot and HS is very nice plus if you want a nice to just walk an people watch you can walk over to the Boardwalk and actually walk on the boardwalk and get something to eat have a drink etc. I can not stress how much I love the BC compared to any other resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter