Grand Gathering Reviews

CBRorBust

Always dreaming of Hot Chocolate
So when I was planning our trip one of the hardest things to find was reviews for the Grand Gathering experiences. So here are mine from the 2 out of 3 we did. Hope someone down the line finds them useful. Even though I can’t remember what exactly was on the menus.

Let me start by giving you a little background. We were a mixed crowd of 9 (6 Adults; 3 children ages 6, 5 and 1) and also about 50/50 when it came to adventurous vs. picky eaters. I think we would all agree that the food was nothing to write home about (probably the reason why there are so few reviews out there) on any of these grand gatherings, but the experiences more than made up for them.

Epcot’s Illuminations Dinner & DessertYou are seated at large round tables with your family. It’s a buffet, so you begin eating immediately. I am the pickiest eater in our group and I found nothing in the adult buffet that I wanted to eat (or was willing to try) so I stuck to the kids buffet. I am very much a plain/dry kind of person, so I knew samples of cuisine from all over the world was not going to be my cup of tea. I was okay with that, and prepared myself for chicken fingers and mac-n-cheese for dinner. About half way through dinner the fun begins. Aunt Roz talks about what everyone is celebrating and it’s really nice to have your family mentioned and congratulated among the group. But then the fun begins. A couple of characters (Minnie/Goofy) come out and the room turns into a huge dance party/conga line for the kids. They don’t just dance for a few minutes, they dance for like 20 minutes with the kids. Great photos and fun! When they leave the dance floor, dinner is pretty much done. By that time the waiters have collected plates and you can make your way to the exit where you will have your family photo taken with the characters. In front of a Grand Gathering Illuminations background. Really great. Then the group walks to a special area where the dessert/coffee/tea/cocoa buffet is set out. I don’t remember exactly where it is, but I know it was directly next to one of the shops. There is plenty of places to sit (on the ground) and enjoy your hot cocoa and desserts. They had tons of different desserts set out. Cookies, cakes, brownies, tarts, cupcakes, etc. Illuminations starts and it’s a fantastic view!

Overall, I would say I would definitely do this if you have kids in your group. The one-on-one interaction with the characters is totally worth it! Plus you won’t have to wait to save your space for illuminations. If you have super picky eaters, just let them know beforehand to prepare to eat chicken strips from the kid buffet.

Safari Dinner and Cruise
I hate to say it, but the food was horrible. And I’m saying that not just because I’m a picky eater, but because the entire group agreed. The only thing we found edible was the chocolate cake they bring you for dessert. Even our most adventurous eater (who claims to like everything except liver and onions) did not care for the food. Simply put, it was just gross. Not much more to say. It was a buffet, even the kids buffet was not good.
The adventure starts out by meeting Mama Deja and she tell us what we’re going to do. Introduces each of the groups, etc. Then they take you to Kilimanjaro Safari’s which is a nice extended version of the ride. They do not rush you through the track, and even stop to make sure you get really great photos before moving on.

From there they take you to the Tusker House to eat dinner. I really thought the menu would be the same and it wasn’t. They have a different menu than what they serve during the day. At dinner there is a band who plays the drums and Mama Deja dances and invites the kids. I can’t remember which characters come out together, but I think I remember it being Rafiki and Timon. They dance with the kids and take pictures too. They also invite families to come outside and get an up close look at some animals. I think reptiles and birds? Can’t remember it’s all vague now.

Overall, I would say pass on this unless you just have a hankering for African cuisine and love Animal Kingdom park in general. I would not use my dinning credits (or cash) to do this one again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter