Granddaughter with Broken Ankle

DHamFree

Earning My Ears
We are taking our 2 granddaughters on vacation and, of course, to Disney World in about 3-1/2 weeks. Our oldest granddaughter (who is 9 years old) broke her ankle last week and will be in a cast when we go so she probably won't be able to do much walking. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would suggest several things.

First is rent a "child size" wheelchair from an off-site company. Tell them her height and weight and they will provide one which is the correct size for her. Generally the Disney wheelchairs are either "standard size" or "very large".

You might be able to get one (if you ask) with a clamp to hold crutches if she will be using them to transfer beteen the chair and other seating.

VERY IMPORTANT: Have the person who will be removing the cast draw a line on it where the cast will be cut. Buy several "Sharpies" pens, including large ones. Get the Characters to autograph her cast (using the Sharpies). Tell the characters to not sign across the drawn line. When the cast comes off, your grandaughter will have a very interesting souvenier of the trip.

I replied to your thread on another board. Just wanted to welcome you here.

We rent from walker, and you can request to get the
legs that raise. Since she has a broken ankle she may need to keep it elevated to keep the swelling down.
So, keeping the swelling down will make her more happy and
probably less pain. If she doesn't really need to keep
the foot elevated then it may not be necessary.

The special raisable leg costed us an extra $10 for
the week. Its $10 per leg, so if you want both legs adjustable
its $20. One more thing. If she is riding with her leg out
extended, the length may not be the correct length.
Since its different with the leg bent and in the regular
down position.
Ours wasn't in the correct position for my height with the legs out, but for legs down. We borrowed a wrench from the handyman at the swan to fix this, and get the correct length of the leg. In the wheel chair rental place, they also had a tool to help adjust the lwg, but it didn't work to adjust since the bolt was
stripped, and we couldn't get a good grip.
So, if you put a request into have a maintenance person come
with a wrench, channel lox (sp?). Or try the tool at the
wheel chair rental place in the parks may help get you
the correct length, so you are riding comforatbly.
Connie

I've had several foot/ankle surgeries and have had many casts. I must comment on the "autograph" the cast thing--don't fo it. I've been told that inks, dyes, etc., can weaken the cast and cause breaks. Also, certain dyes can bleed through and irritate the underlying skin. Besides, you'll quickly get tired of the comments a cast generates "my goodness, what happened?', believe me, it gets old. The last thing you want is someone running after you with an autograph pen. After all, she isn't one of the attractions at Disney!

Also, you might want to consider asking for a handicapped accessible room with a walk-in shower and shower chair. Its much easier to shower that way. Only problem with most handicapped rooms is that they usually (not always) are located on the first floor and you get all the outside noise.

Actually I did this with my shattered leg with the permission of my orthopedic doc. Still have the cast as a souvenir. It is fun to do. Casted for almost 3 months btw.

Well, just got off the phone with Care, Walker and Colonial. The smallest wheelchairs they have are 16" transporters, rated for "slim adult". None of these companies has kid size. Someone reccommended A Baby's Best Friend, if you are looking, do not bother, they do not have anything other than stollers, no wheelchairs for kids. Most of the companies thought the 16" with a leg lift would be O.K. for our 55", 75 pound son. Opinions?

(Ha! Jokes on us, we are off to WDW sans 87 y o g'ma and wheelchair, older cousin with bad hip, and the rest of the extended Florida relatives, and what happens??? Our ten year old son wrecks his knee and needs a rental wheelchair, hence the info above, gma needs respite care and a simple trip has turned into the most complicated ever! Got an installer coming to put in an emergency alert, going today to check out a senior day-care, have a doctor friend checking on g'ma next week, neighborhood kid coming to water and do a welfare check, sheesh, still gotta go get groceries and freeze some meals.....)

Carla

originally posted by abitjaded
Well, just got off the phone with Care, Walker and Colonial. The smallest wheelchairs they have are 16" transporters, rated for "slim adult". None of these companies has kid size. Someone reccommended A Baby's Best Friend, if you are looking, do not bother, they do not have anything other than stollers, no wheelchairs for kids. Most of the companies thought the 16" with a leg lift would be O.K. for our 55", 75 pound son. Opinions?
That's the pits. Some people had posted in the past that they had rented pediatric wheelchairs from Care and/or Walker. I know that A Baby's Best Friend doesn't rent pediatric wheelchairs, but I was told they do have what are called "special needs strollers" - these are similar to umbrella or jogging strollers, but in sizes to fit larger people. That might not be an option for your son because of the cast. One person also reported they were able to get a pediatric wheelchair lent to them by their WDW resort, although I have never seen one of those in the parks.
My 60 inch tall, very thin 85 pound daughter has a custom wheelchair with a 14 inch seat and she just comes to the edge of it on both sides, so a 16 inch seat would probably not be that large for your DS. It would be better than a regular adult one rented from the parks, which is probably an 18-20 inch wide seat.
Your best bet (which I just thought of now after all this typing) may be to call the number WDW lists for Guests with Disabilities 1- (407) 939-7807
or TTY 1- (407) 939-7670
They are the people who handle reservations for things like handicapped rooms and also listed as helping with equipment needs if you are staying at a WDW resort.
I didn't see where you are from, but you might want to call your doctor's office and see if they know where you could rent one locally. Then you would have the option of having one with you which might be very handy in the airport.

We just got back from a 2 week trip to WDW and my 9 yo daughter broke both bones in her lower leg prior to us leaving on this trip. She had a full leg cast, toe to hip. We got around fine. We were a little slower, but that had to do more with bathroom breaks, I had to help her since the cast went up so high. If your gd can use a regular stall in the bathroom that will help. A lot of people use the handicap stall even if they do not need to. If your granddaughter has just a lower leg cast, it will be a lot easier. We never carried crutches in the park we just lifted her when we had to transfer her. However, she could not go on any roller coasters, her favorite, because of the pressure is could cause to the break. Ask your doctor. We also took sharpies and had the characters sign. We used all different colors. We didn't have a problem with ink leakage. The only problem, was that they sign BIG, it is hard for some of them to manipulate their fingers. Make sure to stop at Guest Service to get a disabled guest pass. It will help on some rides, but not all. You need a different one for each park, but it will be good for your entire stay.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Make sure to stop at Guest Service to get a disabled guest pass. It will help on some rides, but not all. You need a different one for each park, but it will be good for your entire stay.
The card is called a Guest Assitance Card. Generally, people with wheelchairs or ecvs don't need one. The CMs will see the wheelchair and direct you to the wheelchair accessible boarding area. Most lines are fully, or almost fully, wheelchair accessible. The card is more for people with invisible disabilities or disabilities in addition to needing a wheelchair/ecv that are not totally taken care of by using the accessible entrance. You don't need a different one for each park - one issued in one park is valid for all parks (unless they have changed this in the past few weeks).

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice/input. We only have 2 more weeks till we leave & we are all so excited, I'm sure everything will be fine!! And she is doing just great - already walking some on her cast (without crutches). After checking on rental prices for wheelchairs, we went ahead and just bought a small transport chair to take with us. That way, we will have it with us eveywhere we go (and it turned out to be cheaper that way). We told her we would decorate it with Mickeys & Minnies for WDW. Also, we found a company that makes waterproof cast covers that are so good, she will be able to bathe, go in the pool & everything and her cast stays completely dry! It's called Xerosox. If anyone wants more information, let me know or go to www.castcoversnow.com. Thanks again for all your help and hope you all have a great summer!!

Sounds like you have everything covered (pun intended).
Here's some pixie dust for a great time - waterproof pixie dust :)

Hopefully the next two weeks will fly by & you'll soon be heading to WDW! Have fun! Glad you found a transport chair to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter