Grandparents. . .how much do you spend on each grandchild at Christmas?

The grands usually do $50 per grandchild. It was just my 2 until this year when my sister had a baby. My parents also retired this year so I am not sure if the $50 will hold. I usually get a call from my mom the weekend before asking what they want. I try to clue her in so she can get good deals, but she just doesn't think like that. We do a secret santa with my parents and 2 sisters and the spouses so we are only buying 2 $50 gifts instead of 6, the kids are exempt so they get gifts from everyone.
My husbands dad sends $50 cash in a card and that's it, they are not close. His mom sends nothing, she is practically nonexistent in our lives.
We have a budget of $150 per person plus $25 for stockings, but I think I have gone over by a bit. My kids are 17 and 14 and it's hard to stay in budget and still get them things they will enjoy/use. I have loved buying stuff for the baby this year, it has been a long time since I could buy for a baby girl.

I have 6 (step)grands. We spend $75 each. Our newest grandchild is less than a year old, so I will spend less on him - I can get more gifts for less money for a baby. DH wants me to cut it down to $50, but I feel we just can't suddenly drop down. The oldest grandchild is 15. I'm thinking as they each finish high school, I will switch to $50 cash.

I've read a lot of this with interest as I am a new grandma. My granddaughter will be enjoying her first Xmas this year as she was born on New Year's Eve 2015.

I've been buying things for her since before she was born, but haven't actually shopped for Xmas for her yet so not sure how much I will spend. I think I want to do a few wrapped gifts for her to tear open and also make a deposit into her future college fund.

I love some of the things that you all shared, such as the person above who said her children would enjoy spending time with either set of grandparents. Too many nice sentiments to quote but this was a heartwarming thread!

I only have 2 grandchildren and this year I spent 200$ each on them. Most of the toys they wanted were 50$ and they are only 3 and 4 years old. I don't have a problem with it since I pay cash and do not go into debt. I am in a position where I can afford it (alimony lol) I got them both two big toys and a few smaller ones and some clothes. My kids always had big Christmases and both Grandparents went overboard. But they appreciated everything and still do. Santa does not bring much to the Grandkids. My oldest daughter does not do Santa at all so it works out.

I've read a lot of this with interest as I am a new grandma. My granddaughter will be enjoying her first Xmas this year as she was born on New Year's Eve 2015.

I've been buying things for her since before she was born, but haven't actually shopped for Xmas for her yet so not sure how much I will spend. I think I want to do a few wrapped gifts for her to tear open and also make a deposit into her future college fund.

I love some of the things that you all shared, such as the person above who said her children would enjoy spending time with either set of grandparents. Too many nice sentiments to quote but this was a heartwarming thread!

College fund is a great idea! I am thinking of buying them Disney Gift cards since both families are planning trips to WDW.

I think that $50 is generous. I applaud the fact that you are spending an equal amount on all of them. My MIL has 6 grandkids and each year some grandkids get big gifts like motorized rocking horses and bikes and others, like my son, get coloring books and crayons. DS5 is the only grandkid on my side so my mom spoils him enough that he hasn't noticed, but I am waiting for the day where he asks us what's up.

I think that $50 is generous. I applaud the fact that you are spending an equal amount on all of them. My MIL has 6 grandkids and each year some grandkids get big gifts like motorized rocking horses and bikes and others, like my son, get coloring books and crayons. DS5 is the only grandkid on my side so my mom spoils him enough that he hasn't noticed, but I am waiting for the day where he asks us what's up.

That is just not right in my opinion. My mother in law used to do the same thing. My kids were the only kids who lived near her so they were the only ones who got gifts! It was really awkward and we would make sure not to tell the other kids if we saw them that year that Nana had bought my kids gifts. It was not because she couldn't afford it.

My mom spends $100 each on 5 grandkids. Each kid gets 3 presents and she makes up any difference with cash. She keeps it very fair. My two sisters, their husbands, my husband & myself each get one present & a nice check from her.

My in-laws spend more on our two. If I had to guess I would say close to $200 each but my mil is a good deal shopper so could be closer to $150? Always at least 7 presents per kid plus a stocking. She loves giving gifts & they spend a lot of time with our kids. They spend the same amount on us too (husband, his brother & us wives). I think it's way generous on both sides & no one goes into debt to do it. Everyone is always appreciative. I know we are extremely blessed.

That is just not right in my opinion. My mother in law used to do the same thing. My kids were the only kids who lived near her so they were the only ones who got gifts! It was really awkward and we would make sure not to tell the other kids if we saw them that year that Nana had bought my kids gifts. It was not because she couldn't afford it.

Ugh. I don't understand people who do this. I think the worst thing about it is that we all live within an hour of each other so all the kids are there opening gifts in front of each other and seeing what they each got. There have also been a few times where she didn't buy any gifts for DS at all saying that she didn't think we were coming even though DH told her several times that we'd be there.:confused3

Ugh. I don't understand people who do this. I think the worst thing about it is that we all live within an hour of each other so all the kids are there opening gifts in front of each other and seeing what they each got. There have also been a few times where she didn't buy any gifts for DS at all saying that she didn't think we were coming even though DH told her several times that we'd be there.:confused3

That is just mean! My granddaughter lives with me and my Grandson lives 3 hours away. I spend the same amount on both of them whether I see him or not! They are coming to visit this weekend for my Granddaughter's Birthday party and we will be opening Christmas gifts since we will not see them on Christmas.
Since I am always picking up things here and there for my granddaughter since she comes shopping with me I occasionally send my Grandson a small gift card or order him something offline. I never want him to feel like I treated her different because she lives with me.

I spend a lot on the grandkids 3 boys all under 6 so little guys, I try to get what their moms say they need... then I buy what I want for them... Around 250.00 to 300.00 each...We can afford it and I have been shopping for months already, lots of good deals... So I don't lay out that kind of cash all at once.. They are only little for such a short time... and I am going to spoil them...

When I was growing up, we always got PJ's and a small item from one set of grandparents, and my dad's mom could not afford really anything, we would get bible versus attached to a candy cane which I treasure to this day.

My parents - do the this is our holiday budget method ... so if its 1000.00 dollars and divides it in half so 500.00 for his family and 500.00 for my family this includes everyone.

I spend a lot on the grandkids 3 boys all under 6 so little guys, I try to get what their moms say they need... then I buy what I want for them... Around 250.00 to 300.00 each...We can afford it and I have been shopping for months already, lots of good deals... So I don't lay out that kind of cash all at once.. They are only little for such a short time... and I am going to spoil them...

When I was growing up, we always got PJ's and a small item from one set of grandparents, and my dad's mom could not afford really anything, we would get bible versus attached to a candy cane which I treasure to this day.

My parents - do the this is our holiday budget method ... so if its 1000.00 dollars and divides it in half so 500.00 for his family and 500.00 for my family this includes everyone.

We do something similar but we divide by the number of people due to the fact that there is so much difference in family sizes. One son has a family of 13, one has a family of five. . .

My dad has 16 grand and great grandchildren, as well. Kids under 18 get $50 cash. Kids over 18 have "aged out" of gifts from Grandpa. Works out well for everyone.

(He used to buy gifts, spending the same $ on all the kids, but he's 80 now and cash is far easier.)

I have no idea as to the exact $$ amount. Our family has wish lists and we as the parents try to ensure that there are a variety of items at different price points to fit different budgets. Once my granny passed away Grampa gave cheques everyone got the same amount. It was a shock to my DH the first Xmas we were married and he a cheque for the same amount of money as my mum, sister and I did. Grampa said "You married my princess, you're a member of the family"

My mom is the only grandparent left, and my daughter is the only grandchild. She spends about $200. Usually one big ticket item like her Fitbit, and smaller things that add up. A craft here, a toy there.

DD is an only and we are super involved parents/grandparents. Kiddos are 2 & 6. We shower them with vacations/experiences throughout the year but tend to buy them only one gift at Christmas. Usually in the $50-$75 range. We feel like it's important to let the parents/Santa have the spotlight at Christmas.

I don't have kids, just nieces and nephews. I give $50 Amazon gift cards, which go over very well, as they can't be put into savings. (None of my young relations are from wealthy families, so the joy of having $50 to spend and getting to look through Amazon's website, knowing "I could get that, if I wanted it" is half the fun for most of them.)

My mother is the youngest of 9 siblings and all together we have almost 100 first cousins. When I was growing up my grandparents had no money. They sent a $15 check to each of their children to buy Christmas presents for the kids. My mom only had two kids but she used the check to buy our Christmas tree every year. I now know $15 didn't fully cover the tree but I always thought it was so cool that my grandparents gave us our tree every year.

We do something similar but we divide by the number of people due to the fact that there is so much difference in family sizes. One son has a family of 13, one has a family of five. . .

This is the way my parents have done it since we were kids. My family is smaller than my brothers family, and a several years ago he made a big stink about it with me, how we get more gifts and such.... and more blah, blah, blah... I told him I had nothing to do with what mom and dad give for Christmas or birthdays or whatever, what prompted this is my parents gave my niece's live in boy friend a shirt and a 25.00 gift card to Starbucks, which my SIL( the pot stirrer) thought was soooo terrible to treat him this way, and my Dad response was they are not married, so he is just her boyfriend, then he told him.. mom and I, split the Christmas budget right down the middle between your sisters family and your family...this is how we have always done it and its our money....Which my brother went totally ballistic over.... then of course I got the "CALL".... I told my brother "you know how mom and dad believe so you should just respect it and move on" the thing is my niece boyfriend was so surprised that my parents got him a gift at all, and thanked them several times. When my now DSIL and DD were dating they gave him they same thing, and he was surprised that they gave him a gift and thanked them several times... He told my DD later on that was the first time he had ever gotten such nice gifts from any of his pervious girlfriends parents.

After the dust settled I sorta tried to approach the subject with my parents... my Dad was like... Honey I know you are trying to keep the peace but this is what mom and I decided a long time ago, and no-one is going to tell us what to do with our money. No more discussion about this...okay... my response, okay....

This is the way my parents have done it since we were kids. My family is smaller than my brothers family, and a several years ago he made a big stink about it with me, how we get more gifts and such.... and more blah, blah, blah... I told him I had nothing to do with what mom and dad give for Christmas or birthdays or whatever, what prompted this is my parents gave my niece's live in boy friend a shirt and a 25.00 gift card to Starbucks, which my SIL( the pot stirrer) thought was soooo terrible to treat him this way, and my Dad response was they are not married, so he is just her boyfriend, then he told him.. mom and I, split the Christmas budget right down the middle between your sisters family and your family...this is how we have always done it and its our money....Which my brother went totally ballistic over.... then of course I got the "CALL".... I told my brother "you know how mom and dad believe so you should just respect it and move on" the thing is my niece boyfriend was so surprised that my parents got him a gift at all, and thanked them several times. When my now DSIL and DD were dating they gave him they same thing, and he was surprised that they gave him a gift and thanked them several times... He told my DD later on that was the first time he had ever gotten such nice gifts from any of his pervious girlfriends parents.

After the dust settled I sorta tried to approach the subject with my parents... my Dad was like... Honey I know you are trying to keep the peace but this is what mom and I decided a long time ago, and no-one is going to tell us what to do with our money. No more discussion about this...okay... my response, okay....

I know what you're saying, but my MIL took the opposite approach with some financial choices (inheritance-type stuff). She has 2 sons, so she wants everything split equally. So, there's a life insurance policy to benefit the grandkids--let's say it's $1M. Half goes to NIL's 3 kids, and half goes to DH's 4 kids. So, my kids will get less each. I can understand her reasoning on this. For Christmas gifts, though, every grandchild gets the exact same amount. What will be interesting to me is, up until this point, it's been at that 4/3 split for many years. But recently, our niece has had 2 children, making it a 5/4 split when you count the great-grandchildren. My BIL/SIL were perfectly content with the earlier decision...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter