Grandparents

Maternal: Maw Maw and Paw Paw or Maw and Paw
Paternal: Grandma and Grandpa

My husband and I are Hunny and Pop....'cept that my dd is referring to me as Big Mama. I'm ok with that :) Yes, I'm a big-ish woman and I don't find it offensive. I would still like being called Big Mama no matter what size I was!

Just curious, for those of you who use Nana...how do you pronounce it?
Nah-nah or rhymes with banana?

My mom is Nana (nah-nah), my dad is Grandpa, DH's parents were Grandma and Grandpa.
My mom was Nana as in rhymes with banana also.

I am seeing a lot of Babcia on here. Never heard of that - how is it pronounced? What culture is it from?

My maternal grandparents were Nanny and Papa (and his wife was just Joan). I never knew my paternal grandfather but my paternal grandmother was Grandma and my great grandmother was Marmee. We also had some next door neighbours that we called Grandma and Grandpa [Surname].

My maternal grandmother was known as Nanny & her husband, as she always called him, was Mr. Langston. Rather formal, don’t ya think!
Paternal gfather was Daddy Jim.
My children called their gparents Grandma & Popo(my in-laws) & Mimi & Papa for my parents.
My grands call my husband Papa as well, but is pronounced “pah pah”.
I was called Didi until my first grands were three & then they just woke up one day & began calling me Gaga, so that’s who I’ll happily be!

In the same vain my kids called their paternal great-grandparents Big Grandma / Big Grandpa. I am not sure how or where that came from.
For me, it started back when my girls were younger and they would watch The Fox and the Hound. I loved Pearl Bailey's Big Mama and so it kind of stuck in my girls head. We've tried to get my husband to be Big Daddy or Big Pop but he wont go for it :)

In the same vain my kids called their paternal great-grandparents Big Grandma / Big Grandpa. I am not sure how or where that came from.

When my mother became a grandmother she wanted to be called Mom-Mom, and since *her* mom was also a 'Mom-Mom,' we started referring to her (my mom's mom) as Big Mom-Mom and it stuck. Boy, this thread is making me miss my grandparents. They were wonderful, warm people.

Grandma and Grandpa.

I can't stand silly made up names like Nana. Ick. Just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I can't explain why but it is.

Grandma and Grandpa.

I can't stand silly made up names like Nana. Ick. Just like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I can't explain why but it is.
While I have no issue with the "cute" names. If ever become a Grandma. I would celebrate and be called Grandma. I don't understand (some) who don't want to be called Grandma because it means they are old. Well you have a grandchild, your not young anymore get over it.

That said I had a neighbor who became a grandma at 29. But that is another thread entirely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter