Grandparents

Unfortunately I only ever knew one grandparent, and we called her “Grandma”.

Once in a while it might get shortened to “Gram”.

I called both sets Grandma and Granddaddy.

My mom is 'Grandmama' and my dad is 'PawPaw XXX' (his first name). DH's parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

I had a Nonni and Nonno (I realized it should have been Nonna, but this is a fairly common Italian thing) and I Grammie and Grandpa.

I think of them everyday. I was very fortunate to have all of them alive until I was 28 and the last one died when I was 40.

Both my mom and Dad's mothers - Gramma, with their last names if needed. Their dads were no longer living.

Our kids called my parents Nams and Papa Bear, husband's Grammy and Grandpa

My husband and I are Grammy and Gramp, although the not yet 2 yr old calls my husband Butt :ssst:

This is timely, because my MIL's nickname (really the only name that she goes by) is the same as mine, so DS grew up calling her "Grandma Terri" so, to avoid confusion, once DS has a child, I'm going to have be something other than that (presuming she is still alive). I'm rather fond of "Nana" because it reminds me of the dog in Peter Pan (I love Newfoundlands)!

Terri

Kind of a tangent, but this thread made me think of it....

My mom is a great-grandmother. She and the other great-grandmother were asked what they wanted to be called. One is GG (or Gigi?) and the other is Oma.

What never occurred to me before now: I have no idea whether the great-grandfathers were asked what they wanted to be called. Maybe they didn't particularly care. :D

My grandparents on both sides were just Grandma and Grandpa.

My great grandparents (mom's mom's parents) were Nana and Pop-pop. They were German.
I don't remember what I called any of the rest of the great-grands. They were mostly gone by the time I was speaking.

Three of my grandparents were deceased before I was born but did meet my one grandparent when was 19.
She preferred being called grandmother
She passed a year after I met her

Both DH and I called our grandparents Grandma and Grandpa Last Name.
My step grandparents were called Grandma and Grandpa First Name.
We called “great” Great Grandma and Grandpa Last Name. My cousins called my paternal Great Grandma, Grandma Great. I tried using it but it didn’t stick.

When kids started coming along my maternal grandmother became Grandma First Name. Paternal Grandma remained Grandma Last Name.
DH’s maternal grandmother remained Grandma Last Name while his paternal grandmother became Granny for the great grand kids.

My dad was Grandpa Last Name. My son called him Papa when he was little. Stepmother is Grandma First Name.
My stepdad is Apo. My mom is Grandma First Name though my brothers kids all call her Nana.

My DH’s mom was Grandma Pumpkinpuss and DD called her husband “my Bob.” His Dad went by Grandpa Last Name but then his twin started referring to him as Grandpa Grump and it stuck. Now we just refer to him as your Dad’s Dad.

Never met any of my grandparents. They were long gone before I was born except for one grandmother who lived In Ireland. My mom chose to be called Nana, my dad was Grandad. In-laws were Grandma and Grandpa to my kids.

My sister is Gram and her DH is Gramps. One of my BIL's dad chose Pop-Pop, which is a common Pittsburgh thing. I'm starting to think about what my future grandchildren should call me!

I only had one set and I called them Grandma and Grandpa. DH had both sets and called his Grandma/Grandpa Last Name. Our DS had 3 sets and called them all Grandma/Grandpa First Name. All of them are gone now. :sad1:

DH's grandkids all have multiple sets. I've no idea how they refer to any of the others but they all call us Grandpa Ron and Nanannette.

I was fortunate enough to have both sets of grandparents and one set of great grandparents growing up, all but one has now passed away. Anyway...my grandma is Nanie. The other grandmas were just Grandma "their name". All grandfathers were Papa "their name".

My daughter called my husband's parents Grandma "her name" and Papa "his name".

My parents have different names for all 4 grandkids. :laughing: My daughter calls my mom Grandma or Big Head....:rotfl:which was a joke between my dad and her. :blush: She calls my dad Pumpkin, which is a joke name my mom called my dad, usually when she was irritated by him and my daughter latched onto it. :laughing:

My niece calls them Grandma and Papa. My nephews call them Munga and Pops. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!