Gratuities

I love them. One less thing to worry about. I bring some cash to pay extra if I decide to do so.
Denise

I always prepay my gratuities. One less thing to worry about. For our last cruise I didn't add them when I made the reservation. I called and added them about a month before the cruise.

I prefer to wait until the cruise.

We are cruising RCCL for the first time in December but not planning to prepay. I figure I'll hold onto my money longer instead of RCCL. But, we are budgeting for it so it won't hit us as an unexpected expense after the cruise.

We prepay, though not when we book the cruise. We wait until after final payment and then I just call and prepay then. We also bring cash to tip extra as needed.

I see no reason not to. It isn't like I am earning some great interest rate on the money by holding on to it so might as well have one less thing taken care of in advance.

Just an FYI - if you don't prepay the gratuities RCCL will add them to your onboard account each day.

Just something to think about if you plan on settling your onboard account with cash.

it so might as well have one less thing taken care of in advance.
Tips aren't something that need to be taken care of in advance. If you choose not to pre-pay them then, as @WebmasterJohn noted above, they will just be added to your onboard account each day. We did it that way last week on the Explorer of the Seas.

We prepaid with final payment and brought cash to tip extra. Steward, head waiter, assistant waiter...etc.

even if not mandatory I pre pay. it is a stable cost of cruising so I budget for it up front. I vastly prefer to have every known expense paid for before I ever board the ship and use any OBC I may have to indulge in something on board.

Would you tip the same if you have bad service or choose not get services? For instance, my DH doesnt want anyone in our stateroom so for the whole week we just ask for new towels and take our garbage out. ...still paying the same gratuity as someone who uses the service... and we don't eat anywhere but the buffet... still paying the same gratuity as someone who gets served like they should all week. I'd rather pay 1/2 the amount or something other than hundreds of dollars for services i dont fully use.

Would you tip the same if you have bad service or choose not get services? For instance, my DH doesnt want anyone in our stateroom so for the whole week we just ask for new towels and take our garbage out. ...still paying the same gratuity as someone who uses the service... and we don't eat anywhere but the buffet... still paying the same gratuity as someone who gets served like they should all week. I'd rather pay 1/2 the amount or something other than hundreds of dollars for services i dont fully use.

Personally, I would. It isn't the crew member's fault you are choosing not to use their services. And in any case, your room steward still works very hard to prepare your stateroom for you and the passengers after you. The dining staff does more than just work in the MDR. Many of them work in dining areas elsewhere on the ship and are still serving you even if you never set foot in the MDR.

1: if you have poor service you ADDRESS IT IMMEDIATELY and give them a chance to fix it. you do not stew and then remove gratuities using the excuse you had 'crap' service( and everyone's definition of 'crap service' is different)

2: they do not necessarily allow you to go the entire week without any services at all. they do have standards that must be met and policies that must be followed. plus it is easier on turnaround day to clean a cabin that has been kept up with as opposed to one that has been ignored the entire week.

3; the portion of the gratuities that you pay to the dining staff covers EVERY MEAL in ALL included venues. it is not solely for dinner in the MDR. it is for EVERYWHERE you can grab something o eat that does not incur an additional fee. in the buffet you are still being cleaned up after, they still( or usually) bring you drinks and they can help you find a spot to sit. you ARE using their services fully.

so yes you should tip the same no matter where you eat and how many times you let the cabin steward into the room.

Yes I would.

Personally, I would. It isn't the crew member's fault you are choosing not to use their services. And in any case, your room steward still works very hard to prepare your stateroom for you and the passengers after you. The dining staff does more than just work in the MDR. Many of them work in dining areas elsewhere on the ship and are still serving you even if you never set foot in the MDR.
Exactly. On more than one occasion I have seen my assistant waiter from dinner in the MDR working in the Windjammer during breakfast or lunch.

It's a shame that staff aren't paid a decent wage to start with!!!!Don't begrudge the tips, but how much money goes onto 1 ship in gratuities in a week if there are over 3000 passengers on board?,and how are the tips shared out?

It's a shame that staff aren't paid a decent wage to start with!!!!Don't begrudge the tips, but how much money goes onto 1 ship in gratuities in a week if there are over 3000 passengers on board?,and how are the tips shared out?

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ce-gratuity-expense+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Yes, the gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. Our daily totals are in the middle range when compared to competitors' suggestions. Any modifications or adjustments to your gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Standard Staterooms:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$3.45 - Stateroom Attendant

$3.70 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$6.10 - Suite Attendant

$4.05 - Other Hotel Services

I would definitely pay even if I declined services. Dining room crew members work all over the ship when the dining rooms aren't open. Even if you just go to the buffet or the fast food, the same crew members are working there.

Service from an individual crew member would need to be frankly abysmal before I would withhold their tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter