Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but the timeline is the issue. They still haven't completed the merger yet and the TCM movie contracts ran out in 2017. The ride was going to be shut down either way at least now we have something there
The ride shutting down had nothing to do with TCM. It was due to the amount of rework the ride needed and the cost of that rework, and the cost to maintain and operate the ride. That was the deciding factor.

I know I'm super late to this thread, but I'm going to miss the Great Movie Ride. I know it wasn't the most popular attraction and was very dated, and half my kids would groan when I made them go on it, but it was pretty central to the whole idea behind Hollywood Studios as it was originally imagined. Seems almost like getting rid of the castle in MK. Oh well, I'm sure Disney knows better than I do what will make them $, but that doesn't mean I won't be sentimental about it.
I agree GMR was central to the original idea behind DHS. However, the central premise of the park is in the middle of being changed. The studio feel doesn't draw crowds anymore like it did in the 90s when a bunch of parks were opening up like that. They are transitioning over to immersive environments to essentially put you into the movies themselves and become a part of that world. I think this ride makes a perfect fit for that while still paying homage to the old. The main street doesn't really seem to be changing so we still have the old Hollywood feel and the theater but now you are literally going into the movies versus past fairly static vignettes learning about the movie process and history. You now get to be transported to the world of the cartoons and live out an adventure like you'd see on tv.

I agree GMR was central to the original idea behind DHS. However, the central premise of the park is in the middle of being changed. The studio feel doesn't draw crowds anymore like it did in the 90s when a bunch of parks were opening up like that. They are transitioning over to immersive environments to essentially put you into the movies themselves and become a part of that world. I think this ride makes a perfect fit for that while still paying homage to the old. The main street doesn't really seem to be changing so we still have the old Hollywood feel and the theater but now you are literally going into the movies versus past fairly static vignettes learning about the movie process and history. You now get to be transported to the world of the cartoons and live out an adventure like you'd see on tv.
I hope the new ride is better in person than the videos I've seen. Seems like a lot of projection mapping and not much practical effects. The animatronic mickey/minney in the car at the beginning isn't very convincing, frankly.

We have a tenancy to miss something once its gone but there was a reason it was near walk-on anytime of the day. Sadly, it was time. Just like I know there would be a revolt if Disney demo'd CoP but its usually empty.

We have a tenancy to miss something once its gone but there was a reason it was near walk-on anytime of the day. Sadly, it was time. Just like I know there would be a revolt if Disney demo'd CoP but its usually empty.
A major difference is that Walt had a major hand in CoP. He never knew of GMR plans or existence.

Well, we rode it every time we visited MGM. Glad we got to catch it in 2017 before it shut down. Ditto on the backlot tour. We enjoyed the prop warehouse about as much as the tour itself, taking our time looking at stuff until the CMs shooed out out to our tram. Loved walking around the streets of america too. I'm sure SWGE will be cool the next time we visit. But, MMRR is no match for the stuff they removed. Just commented on another thread that the new BatB coming to Tokyo would be pretty an incredible addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!