Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so disappointed! I had a feeling it wouldn't be open by our trip in mid September 2019 but for it to be delayed to spring 2020? How on earth do they expect to absorb the SWGE crowds? This does not sound like it will go smoothly... :sad2:

A couple of theories.
1. Diverted the workers to get SWGE open on time.
2. Intentionally delayed as they expect big attendance increases when SWGE opens and another when M&MRR opens. If they both open about the same time, they potentially lose one uptick in attendance.
They sound really proud of what M&MRR will be and don't want it overshadowed at its opening by opening at the same time as SWGE.
I could see both.

Since they are opening SWGE months earlier than even they originally estimated (end of August is nowhere near "late Fall") .. my guess is that they are in no rush to finish a new attraction at DHS with one coming in August and another coming in???? (Late fall?).

I bet the original thought was to get the Railway open months before SWGE open to have a crowd eater before the new land opened, but I guess opening SWGE months early was the priority.

A couple of theories.
2. Intentionally delayed as they expect big attendance increases when SWGE opens and another when M&MRR opens. If they both open about the same time, they potentially lose one uptick in attendance.
They sound really proud of what M&MRR will be and don't want it overshadowed at its opening by opening at the same time as SWGE.

Personally, I believe that rather than diverting workers, and I do think that this is what happened, Disney should have added more. Once SWGE opens there is going to be an influx of visitors in a very small park. I cannot imagine where they will all be absorbed. TSL is so darn congested with the pathways narrowed with umbrellas to provide a bit of shade, can you imagine how crowded it will be when folks cannot get into GE?

I do not think that M&MMR will be a driving attendance booster, and I honestly do not believe it's opening would be overshadowed by GE, however I do believe it is playing second fiddle to that land, which is a shame.

That's a shame it's delayed. I was very unhappy that SWGE would be open when we were there in November. I was hoping to sneak in a trip before it opened. But, I figured, at least M&MRR would be open by then. I would skip HS studios all together, but RnRC and ToT are must dos.

A couple of theories.

3. They really did miscalculate the project's scope and needed to adjust the projected opening date.

But, your point #2 is interesting and something I've thought of as well.

4a) Attend SWGE on opening phase (less Rise of the Resistance)
4b) Attend SWGE after Rise of the Resistance opens
4c) Attend MMRR once it opens

That's 3 separate visits in my mind and a substantial increase in ticket/merchandise/parking/food costs.

Is there any new rumor as to the opening of this attraction at WDW? I saw a blog somewhere that was saying that it was slipping to "summer of 2020".

Following also. Even though I loved the Great Movie ride I guess it will fun to try a new ride.

Just us - the "thing" that caused WDW to destroy the Great Movie Ride, rather than updating it?

We don't care if the "Runaway Train-wreck" EVER opens.
Well okay then, that's more than a little excessive.
Not quite sure how you can judge a ride without even riding it, let alone not really even knowing many details about it.

Don't really expect much different though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter