Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Disney would consider doing what they tested with TSM a while ago -- simply make the entire queue FP scheduled (essentially doing a boarding group but scheduling it beforehand. I know I would prefer getting up early ONE morning at home to make a reservation on my phone rather than drag my entire family to DHS in the pre-dawn hours to ensure we are there at 7:00 AM on the nose (and then still not know when we would be able to ride (what if it is late in the night after we planned to leave?)

While the not waiting in line aspect of the boarding groups is nice, they essentially just gotten themselves back to the old FP paper ticket days, with the exception of not having any standby line at all.

It's totally an antithesis to what Disney has been trying to establish with FP+ for the last 6+ years. Controlling the crowd. This is just causing people to show up way before they normally would, which causes Disney to have staff on hand probably hours before normally would.

So .. no clue what they will do with the Railway. I would just guess they just make it FP free like they did with MFSR .. it seemed to work there.

I wonder if Disney would consider doing what they tested with TSM a while ago -- simply make the entire queue FP scheduled (essentially doing a boarding group but scheduling it beforehand. I know I would prefer getting up early ONE morning at home to make a reservation on my phone rather than drag my entire family to DHS in the pre-dawn hours to ensure we are there at 7:00 AM on the nose (and then still not know when we would be able to ride (what if it is late in the night after we planned to leave?)

While the not waiting in line aspect of the boarding groups is nice, they essentially just gotten themselves back to the old FP paper ticket days, with the exception of not having any standby line at all.

It's totally an antithesis to what Disney has been trying to establish with FP+ for the last 6+ years. Controlling the crowd. This is just causing people to show up way before they normally would, which causes Disney to have staff on hand probably hours before normally would.

So .. no clue what they will do with the Railway. I would just guess they just make it FP free like they did with MFSR .. it seemed to work there.
This exactly

We just aren’t rope drop people and we’ll be forced to do that now
I will miss the ride if I have to rope drop it. because, even if I DID get up for it (which I would not enjoy), I have plans for the rest of that day, and not knowing when your turn is , then having to dash back over form wherever... Nope. Sad, but, nope. I mean, I'd wait standby for a *bit* but...

I will miss the ride if I have to rope drop it. because, even if I DID get up for it (which I would not enjoy), I have plans for the rest of that day, and not knowing when your turn is , then having to dash back over form wherever... Nope. Sad, but, nope. I mean, I'd wait standby for a *bit* but...
I’m going in July, so hopefully it’s all worked out by then. We planned on doing Bon Voyage breakfast our HS day, so I have two times booked for right now and will drop either the earlier or later time depending on fastpasses and what’s going on with this ride. We don’t care about Star Wars Land, just this Mickey and Minnie ride and TOy story land

I’m going in July, so hopefully it’s all worked out by then. We planned on doing Bon Voyage breakfast our HS day, so I have two times booked for right now and will drop either the earlier or later time depending on fastpasses and what’s going on with this ride. We don’t care about Star Wars Land, just this Mickey and Minnie ride and TOy story land
I'm going in June, so I *hope* I will be able to ride this. But, I don't think I will mess with all my other plans just to accommodate it.

If they think this ride can operate reliably my guess is it will open with only standby no BG. I feel the main reason they used BG for ROTR is they knew it would break down often and they did not want to have to dump the que several times a day.

Last edited:
GI'll take boarding groups until things get less crazy over standing in a line for hours and hours.
FP is the way to go. BG doesn't allow advance planning. Only the morning of which fill up incredibly fast leaving many people no way to get in. At least with FP you had 2 or 3 ways to enter. BG its the only option. Its no good for most people.
If they think this ride can operate reliably my guess is it will open with only standby no BG. I feel the main reason they used BG for ROTR is they new it would break brown often and they did not want to have to dump the que several times a day.
If they feel that it will break down several times a day then why open it? spend the time to address those issues they feel they have a problem with. Makes no sense. BG severely limit the number of people that will be able to board this ride. I don't like the format.

If they think this ride can operate reliably my guess is it will open with only standby no BG. I feel the main reason they used BG for ROTR is they new it would break brown often and they did not want to have to dump the que several times a day.
This is my thought too. It’s working well for MFSR and I think MMRR will be similar in popularity to that ride.

If they feel that it will break down several times a day then why open it? spend the time to address those issues they feel they have a problem with. Makes no sense. BG severely limit the number of people that will be able to board this ride. I don't like the format.
In the case of ROTR it’s such a complicated ride system. Seems they knew it would take a while to work out the kinks. Evidently they felt opening it was the best way to do it and BG allowed them to run it without dumping a que that was full of people that had waited for hours only to be turned away. I really think ROTR is unique don’t think it’s gonna set a new standard for how rides are open. But I could be completely wrong it’s just my guess.

In the case of ROTR it’s such a complicated ride system. Seems they knew it would take a while to work out the kinks. Evidently they felt opening it was the best way to do it and BG allowed them to run it without dumping a que that was full of people that had waited for hours only to be turned away. I really think ROTR is unique don’t think it’s gonna set a new standard for how rides are open. But I could be completely wrong it’s just my guess.
I agree. With ROTR there's also a whole area dedicated to Star Wars that people want to check out. I think with MMRR they'll either do FP or standby only because it just one ride without a large (and extremely popular) area to explore around it.

FP is the way to go. BG doesn't allow advance planning. Only the morning of which fill up incredibly fast leaving many people no way to get in. At least with FP you had 2 or 3 ways to enter. BG its the only option. Its no good for most people.

I feel the really difficult thing is for the rest of Disney with dining and the majority of rides that you have fast passes for you need to do alot of advanced planning and really plan your trip out. Now you have these new rides which do not allow advanced planning and it is hard to deal with 2 different systems. It is one thing if you go to Disney frequently then you can just randomly show up one day and not really have plans and try for a boarding group. But if you only go every few years it is not a good option. I hope they don't go the boarding group route with this ride too. I just feel like they are devaluing the advantages of staying on property etc.

I feel the really difficult thing is for the rest of Disney with dining and the majority of rides that you have fast passes for you need to do alot of advanced planning and really plan your trip out. Now you have these new rides which do not allow advanced planning and it is hard to deal with 2 different systems. It is one thing if you go to Disney frequently then you can just randomly show up one day and not really have plans and try for a boarding group. But if you only go every few years it is not a good option. I hope they don't go the boarding group route with this ride too. I just feel like they are devaluing the advantages of staying on property etc.
Yes this is exactly the issue. We want to do different dining options, including character dining, with our (then) four year old - but those need to be planned 6 months in advance. And then FP 60 days. It’s crazy to have to do these boarding groups that could screw up the rest of the days plans

Yes this is exactly the issue. We want to do different dining options, including character dining, with our (then) four year old - but those need to be planned 6 months in advance. And then FP 60 days. It’s crazy to have to do these boarding groups that could screw up the rest of the days plans
Probably a "pick one or the other" situation. The boarding group concept works well enough for those "this is the only reason I came" visitors who absolutely must ride that specific attraction. No so much for the, "but how can I schedule Breakfast with Mary Poppins and Friends at 8, a 1 pm ADR at the Brown Derby, the Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party, and fastpasses for Slinky Dog Dash, Hollywood Tower of Terror, and Mupper Vision 3D, AND be assured I can still make my Railway boarding time? Disney sure makes this hard on me." folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter