Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any announcement about whether or not the Chinese theater facade will remain? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

The GMR was a classic not doubt.... Our children have grown up over the years going to the parks. We have rode it more times that I can count. I will miss it. But many of the newer generation don't have a clue about Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, The Wizard of Oz etc etc. very sad but true. It is dated. Same with Ellen's UOE. When the new rides open a new generation of family's will enjoy it just as much. Then say 20 years from now it will be replaced as well. I am very nostalgic about the old rides. I will miss them. but times change. I am just glad that they are spending some money there and all over the property. I cant wait till October to see the progress......

Last edited:
This generation just doesn't care about the classics like we do I guess, weren't all these movies really old mostly when the attraction opened too? Save for Indy

For me, it (the focal point) was the back lot tour with the exploding tanker, etc...but alas that is gone also. Star Wars is nice, but MGM is a shell of what I grew up with.

To be fair, the whole movie studio concept was because Michael Eisner wanted to try and drive the up and coming Universal Orlando out of the market. Who knows if and when and what theme a third gate would have been if no US Orlando.

That perfectly describes Maelstrom, both for me and the general consensus from what I remember. Great Movie Ride and Ellen's closing consensus both seem to match my thoughts: I liked them but it's time. Although the Great Movie Ride was one of my favorites it became a shell of itself once TCM stepped in. At least the best part (the montage at the end) will always live on in my heart. Gives me goose bumps every time when I rewatch it on YouTube
The closing of Maelstrom was just one more bit of damage to the Norway pavilion. The problem isn't one attraction but an endless barrage of damage. Maelstrom was the proverbial last straw for me at least.

I think Goofy is the main offender here. I looked up "new style goofy" and the first thing I found was an image with the caption "Does anyone else 110% hate the new meth head goofy?" I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Except I used the term "hobo pedophile Goofy" when talking about him with a co-worker.

His design in these shorts is a throwback to his original "Dippy Dawg" incarnation from 1932, when he was first introduced!

I think Goofy is the main offender here. I looked up "new style goofy" and the first thing I found was an image with the caption "Does anyone else 110% hate the new meth head goofy?" I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about it. Except I used the term "hobo pedophile Goofy" when talking about him with a co-worker.

I completely agree! Goofy is the worst. I don't care what the animators were trying to reference or recreate....he looks stoned.

the new goofy is meant to look like goofy's original "dippy dawg" design combined with a few modern aspects (his hat and eyes)

i can see how people wouldn't like it, but since their reference is the '30s cartoons (while donald and co. are based on carl barks' designs) it makes sense to use goofy's earliest look, and i like how much character it gives him

6012703_f520.jpg
5d243832a81a7b4f5eeb3757b054df7a.png

I've been away from the boards for awhile (needed a break after our last trip in Dec '16), but I'm wondering if anyone can catch me up on what type of ride this is going to be? It doesn't seem like a coaster, it's not a float-on-the-water ride (like FEA or LWTL or any number of other Disney attractions). I assume it'll be a tame ride though, right? No height restrictions? Trackless? I mean, the name (runaway railroad) gives the impression of a thrill ride but I wasn't sure.

I looked at the first page and the last few and didn't see much about the actual ride itself (other than the DPB announcement which was short on details). Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond!

I've been away from the boards for awhile (needed a break after our last trip in Dec '16), but I'm wondering if anyone can catch me up on what type of ride this is going to be? It doesn't seem like a coaster, it's not a float-on-the-water ride (like FEA or LWTL or any number of other Disney attractions). I assume it'll be a tame ride though, right? No height restrictions? Trackless? I mean, the name (runaway railroad) gives the impression of a thrill ride but I wasn't sure.

I looked at the first page and the last few and didn't see much about the actual ride itself (other than the DPB announcement which was short on details). Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond!
This is the description from DPB (not a TON of details, you're right!): https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Here's the appropriate portion of the D23 announcement -- you can see a test for the 2-1/2D technology they reference:

I think the answer to these questions is YES, YES, YES: "I assume it'll be a tame ride though, right? No height restrictions? Trackless?"

We don't know a ton of details other than that it will be trackless

As for height restrictions - no one knows for sure but I suspect either no restrictions (just checked and both mystic Manor and Ratatouille-which are trackless ride systems- say "any height")

I got the impression there could be some "zip" to the ride (or at least perceived zip) - nothing crazy but not super slow like small world or SSE or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!