Group of 11 questions..opinions please

hockey mom

<font color=coral>Loves to do the Napkin Dance at
Here is the scenario- My cousins family of 6 and my family of 5. A quick 5 day trip in May for surfing lessons at TL. We are paying for accomodations.

Fri/Sat- 3 rooms at a value(AP discount hopefully)

Sun/Mon/Tues- Would you do:

1) Grand villa at OKW(135 points)-2 families under one roof, chances of getting one at 7 months?

2) One 2 bedroom and a studio(111 points)- could we get these close together?

3) Three studios(90 points)- could we get these close together?

We wont be in the rooms much because this family has not been to Disney so lots to do.

Can I also phone MS and ask about availabilty at OKW grand villa even though it is not at my 7 month mark yet-not to book -just to see if one is even open?

Thanks

hockey mom said:
Here is the scenario- My cousins family of 6 and my family of 5. A quick 5 day trip in May for surfing lessons at TL. We are paying for accomodations.

1) Grand villa at OKW(135 points)-2 families under one roof, chances of getting one at 7 months?

We wont be in the rooms much because this family has not been to Disney so lots to do.

Can I also phone MS and ask about availabilty at OKW grand villa even though it is not at my 7 month mark yet-not to book -just to see if one is even open?

Thanks
I would try for the GV and if you don't get it, do the 2 bedroom plus a studio. It is incredibly fun to all be together in a big unit. We have done this several times, and it was a blast! The problem with the 3 studios, is that you would not have as easy access to a laundry, and that seems to be the big thing when we have visitors with us. Last year, we had 12 in a GV, and the washer and dryer were busy constantly, because there were a couple of teens with us!

if you aren't going to be in the rooms a great deal.

I would go with the 3 studios.

the laundry mat at OKW is at the swimming pools - so there shouldn't be a problem. just when you go swimming - do the laundry.

the washer/dryer at the laundry mat are much bigger than in the villas.

most of time 3 studios would be in one building - but no guaranteeds. get the reservations linked - so hopefully the room controller will see that they need to be together and assign rooms accordingly.

don't expect a popular building.

spiceycat said:
the washer/dryer at the laundry mat are much bigger than in the villas.

At OKW the washers and dryers in the 1,2, and 3 bedroom units are full size units, unlike the stacked pairs at the other DVC resorts. The ones at the pools are also full sized, but laundromat style machines with coin slots. BTW, the coin slots are just there to start the machines. You don't need to put any money in them.

Diane - trust me - the ones in laundry mat can handle twice the clothes than the ones in the villa.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

They must be the extra large capacity ones then. We have not stayed in a studio at OKW for 7 years. I just assumed they looked like the regular sized ones that are in the units.

hockey mom said:
Based on this, and the short nature of your trip (3 nights in DVC rooms), I'd go with the three studios to save the points. It's not important if your rooms are close together if you don't intend to be there much!! And laundry on a three day visit? Probably not much of an issue. :)

You can ask MS about the GV...they should be able to tell you. Can't think of why they wouldn't, and it can't hurt to ask!

Yes you can call and ask if any Grand Villa are open. I did a week before my 7 month mark and was told there were 2. Then I couldn't do day by day because I was in Mexico on vacation, but I called as soon as my plane landed, fifteen minutes before MS closed on my 7 month day from last checkout. I was lucky - there was still a GV available for five nights Sun-Thurs in March. So you can get GV at the 7 month mark.

My backup plan was a 2 Bed and a studio. We wil have nine, four in each of two families plus a single. How old are your kids? Regardless one family will have to split up. With a 2 bed you can put the kids in the second bedroom and keep a closer eye on them than if they were in a separate studio. Also having a 2 bed gives you a kitchen, washer and driver and a sitting area to gather in.

We are going to do 3 studios for the first night as it is Sat and I can't afford the GV weekend points. But we are getting in late (plane lands at 6pm) and will be just sleeping that night.

My vote goes for the Grand Villa. Family time is wonderful and having everyone together would be great. Even if the only time that you spend together is to eat a quick bowl of cereal in the morning and to tell tales at the end of the night.

Thanks everyone. The kids will be 16, 16, 15, 15, 15, 14, and 11.

I will try for the GV.

hockey mom said:

Thanks

If it was me, I would take the path of least resistance and not try to over-engineer this. No matter where the rooms are you will have a good time. OKW Grand Villas may not be available at 7 months anyway, so you may have to go with the flow, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter