Growing wisteria from cuttings?

Shugardrawers

<font color=teal><b>Ovarian Cancer Survivor!<br><f
Is it possible to start wisteria from a cutting? How exactly would I do that? And will it grow on a wooden fence or do I need some other kind of support for it? Once it gets started is it terribly hard to train and contain it? I don't want a kudzu nightmare!

Wisteria need a very sturdy support. They have been known to pull down weak structures, as well as de-shingle a whole side of a house. A free-standing pergola is ideal. If the fence is very strong, it might suffice. I'd think long and hard before taking on a wisteria. They also can take up to 7 years to bloom...are you willing to wait that long? They do need a couple of strong prunings a year as well.

If you are willing to give this plant a try, take a hardwood cutting, dip it in rooting hormone, and stick it in a pot of clean moist sand. Enclose this in a baggie and tie off to keep humidity in. Check the cutting every week or so, giving it a gentle tug. When it resists pulling out of the pot, it has roots and can be planted. If the weather is not amenable to immediate planting, pot it up in the house for a while until the weather is better.

Also, have a care where you grow wisteria. Michael Dirr (my favorite tree writer) calls them "pernicious pests..." in the south (of zone 7), "...strangling everything in its grasp".

I agree with Ursula on this one. BUT, I have seen it planted strategically on an ugly tree (we have weird digger pine trees) and it took over the tree. Every spring, the tree turns beautifully purple and then green with draping leaves. The owner had to top the tree a couple of years ago, but the trunk is still 60' tall. I'm sure that it'll topple in numerous years to come, but is it a beautiful sight to see every spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter