• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grumpy Banned From Disney (Part II of Disney on Husband’s Terms)

J'Adore Disney

With a smile and a song...
My H (purposely leaving out the “dear” from DH) attempts to make me happy by taking me to Disney World, in a nutshell, he mostly goes for me. We live 3 hours away from WDW. My kids and I grew up on Disney and therefore, love all things Disney! My daughter was a cast member at The Disney Store for 4 years. You get the idea...

Husband and I recently went to Disneyworld during the first week of November. We stayed at the Yacht Club, allowing for easy access into and out of Epcot, just in case husband wanted to scram out of the park at any given moment, as he goes into cardiac arrest (not literally, I'm being sarcastic) at the sight of large crowds. On the first day, we went to Food & Wine Festival, my plan was to get him liquored up AND throw in a few “R” um perhaps X-rated moves back at the hotel.

Second day, we went to Magic Kingdom, BIG MISTAKE! Although we rode some rides, I should have known better to go anywhere near Magic Kingdom with him. He was extremely overwhelmed with the music and the parades... at one point, I thought I was going to have to give him CPR on Main Street!

I also dragged him to Disney Springs ... and that was single handedly the fatal blow!

Throughout the entire time, I was a nervous wreck trying to make this trip perfect for him (and me). Unfortunately, it was the worst trip we had ever experienced together!

On our last night, I found myself crying on the balcony of our hotel room, overlooking the Boardwalk and Illuminations fireworks, wishing I had gone with my kids and left him home. No one should be this miserable in Disney World I thought to myself and I came to terms with the fact that he will NEVER see or feel the magic.

I vowed to NEVER go back with him. Grumpy a/k/a Husband is banned from Disney - for life !!!

Part 1 - http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-on-husbands-terms.3449565/page-2#post-54574163

Last edited:
I am sorry that it went so poorly. I read the other thread and it seems pretty clear that Disney is not a passion he shares and that the compromises he demands are ruining your fun. I love some things my husband hates. I do those things without him and we're both happier.

AI hope you can schedule a bounce back trip soon and recapture the magic. I hate thinking your Disney Sparkle is spoiled, even for a little while.

Leave old Grumpy at home and have fun going solo. My Grumpy has not set foot in WDW since he was a teenager and had to go to do some band something. That is his memory of it and by George he isn't going. Fine by me, hand me the money and stay at home with the puppy. Works for us, he gets alone time and I get Disney time.

Will be going with my grumpy next May. And we coming from the other side of the Atlantic with two kids :-) This holiday is so for me, hopefully he won't ruin it for all of us.

There may be some things to do at WDW that he likes besides the parks. Maybe golf/mini golf/ renting one of those boats/etc

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I do a mini trip, just three or four nights almost annually with DS and leave DH home. I was married for 20 years and did three trips with DH (I'm a slow learner) before a light bulb went on. We talked and finally figured out the best thing to do is for me and DS who also loves Orlando to go by ourselves and have DH who hates Disney, Orlando, and Florida to stay home. It works like a charm. I've done five trips without him down there and am planning a sixth. The trips with him (notice just 3 in 20 years -- extended family or a convention got us down there) and the trips without him (five in seven years), had a night and day difference. // Our main vacation every year is someplace we all like, usually the mountains or something like that. DH is actually fun to travel with if it's somewhere he likes.

Silly me, though, when he came down with us I put way too much energy and time into actually trying to find things he would like. He hates world class theme parks. The only things I found in the whole area that he enjoyed were -- (1) Gatorland -- He likes it that it's more like an old time Florida attraction than a world class theme park and thinks it is acceptable and fits into the area because alligators are native to the area. He also likes it that the most exciting thing that ever happened here was some Indiana Jones filming back in the 70s and that they still talk about it. (2) He likes the Blue Man and Cirque shows (I took him Cirque each trip and did Blue Man group on one trip in addition). (3) He liked indoor sky diving in the wind tunnel. (4) The first two times we went he liked the BOMA dinner buffet, but he hated it on the third trip, said they had replaced too many of the interesting African dishes with food with bland fare to appeal to the theme park crowd and said he never ever wanted to go there again. (5) SeaWorld is OK, but he'd just assume skip it. I think that a favorite activity on these trips was to ***** about Disney -- He especially complained about blatant strategies to get people to part with their money. He hates it that he can't even find a rock to kick at any of their theme parks. They keep the walk ways too clean. He hates all the man made stuff. Interestingly enough he has had several conventions he's had to attend at the Contemporary, and he has no problem with those. He thinks the Contemporary is a very nice conference facility. Do note, though, he does not leave the resort if he attends these on his own. Unfortunately his *****ing really did get to me on these trips and diminish my enjoyment considerably.

Just last year when DS and I were planning a trip, DS was trying to talk him into coming, and DH was starting to think he might. I talked to him, though, and said I would be OK if he came, but he had to promise that he would not complain or ***** about Disney even one time for the entire trip and that if he couldn't promise that and keep the promise, I really and truly would prefer he'd stay home as I would have a much better trip without him. He took what I said very seriously and told me and DS that he couldn't promise that and to go ahead without him and have a good time.

Anyway for family upcoming travel, DS and I are looking forward to our next four night / three day mini Orlando trip, and all three of us are also looking forward to an August summer week in the Colorado mountains. / The three of us will also be doing a mini east coast relative visit and a mini visit to NYC. // It's really just Orlando that DH is banned from.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this, OP. My father could be a real nudge on vacations with his arbitrary demands. When I was 15, I opted out of the family trip to WDW in February and stayed with my best friend for the week. THAT'S how done I was with vacationing with him. I ended up going to WDW that same year with my best friend's family and had an awesome time, so it worked out well for me in the end. (My father did try to kick up a fuss about not letting me go since I wouldn't go with him, but he was overridden.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter