Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just recently gotten back from two trips with very different experinces with the room check policy. The first trip was June 29-July 9 at CBR. We opted to not have the daily housekeeping and only enocountered a room check person once. He knocked on the door even though we had the room occupied hang tag up. Waited for me to get to the door and asked if we needed any new trash bags or tolietries. He stood in the door and glanced in but nothing more than that.

The second trip was DVC SSR July 13-15. My mom stayed in the room most of the days as she did not have park tickets and lightning kept closing the pool on her. I made sure that each time the room occupied tag was out and that she knew that they were going to come in and take the trash out. What happened is very different than CBR, there was no knock, she heard someone at the door and all of a sudden there was a mousekeeping staff in with her. No knock, no annoucing who they were, nothing. Sunday when we were checking out this happened again, it was 7:05am and all of a sudden the lights are on in the room and mousekeeping is there. Again no knock or annoucing herself. I know she spoke english because I left mom sleeping in the room and took her out to the hall to ask what was up. We had not checked out, we had the sign up and she did not have any cleaning gear with her. She said someone called a well person check to our room because of some sounds they heard overnight. I did not get back to the resort the previous night till about 2am, so it may have been hearing me get back. I told Mousekeeping this and then she asked when I thought we would be vacationg the room by. The plan had been to sleep till 10am, get packed and be out by 11am. What ended up happening due to not being able to go back to sleep after a drawn out encounter and the scare, was we left by 9:30am.

We have stayed multiple trips since the daily checks were put into place and this was the first time I felt unsecure in my room, my DVC home away from home, room. I have kicked around calling the general mamager from SSR as his phone number was left in our room and I made sure to bring it home with me. We have stayed BLT, CSR, OKW, AKL and GF before without issue and had a good experince in Jan at SSR. Not sure how I feel about the policy now.

We stayed at All Star Music a few weeks ago. We did keep housekeeping but my MIL opted for the gift card. We were in her room once during a room check, the man knocked, was nicely dressed (maybe a manager?) and had a clipboard or tablet and looked very official. He glanced in from the doorway and then said thank you and made a mark on whatever it was. I had seen him coming up the walkway stopping at rooms through the window so we knew he was on his way. We didn't have any kind of sign on the door.

The "Room is Occupied" sign has replaced the "Do Not Disturb" sign.
Again, at 7:00 AM, the vast majority of housekeeping staff isn't even at work; this was a wellness call.
So the update is talked to the GM. He looked into file and it was a wellness check called in by the room next to us. Heard “banging at about 2am then nothing”. I understand why they needed to check on us but the not knocking was my main point of contention. I got back to the room about the time our neighbors heard the banging. My mom said I did stub my toe after pulling out the sleeper sofa. That is most likely what they heard and I feel bad that they got woken up. According to GM wellness checks should not knock and wait for person because if the person is incapacitated this is a problem. I was profusely apologized to and they may look into a better way to do these type of called checks in the future.

Guys, please do not post anything but guest experiences on this thread. It is not a discussion thread; the only posts that should be made here are first-person accounts of your experiences with the room check policy while staying at a Disney resort. All other posts will be deleted.

The purpose of this thread is to have a place where people can read others' actual experiences without wading through dozens of pages of complaints, what-ifs, conspiracy theories and arguments.

If you want to ask questions about the policy or discuss it, either post on an existing thread on the Resorts board or create a new thread.

We were at Disney 7/12 7/21 for a split stay:

BWI- our second day(first full day) housekeeping came by later in the afternoon and asked if we needed anything. I asked for a few towels and she brought them in and took the trash. Our last day was a rest day and my husband had out the Occupied sign out for a bite. Later int he day, housekeeping calle dna asked if we needed housekeeping and I said no as we were checking out the next day. She asked if there was a time they could do a "security check" and I said now since I was sure when we were leaving for dinner. A hpouse keeper came and walked through and said thank you and left. While I do not like this policy, I'm glad they called and asked about a good time. I'm sure I could have said in a few hours and that would have been fine, but I wanted it over with since I was packing and our stuff was everywhere.

Poly CL- We had housekeeping most days but did have 1 where we put the sign out due to being in and out of the room a lot. Never heard a peep or received a call from housekeeping.

We returned from a stay at Pop in June. We did the no housekeeping. One day they did clean our room and left fresh towels, etc. anyway. One day, mid afternoon, a lady did come to our door. She looked like one of the housekeepers. She said that she needed to see our room. I let her in, she walked toward the bathroom, then turned around, said thank you, and left. It wasn't a big deal and we were not inconvienced.

Just completed stay at BCV. Did not mind the trash and tidy daily service. I actually liked it, as I usually empty the trash every night and bring it to the trash room, now I don't have to do that:). One day we forgot and left the privacy sign on the door - front desk called and asked what a good time would be to come.

We went for a week at the dvc boardwalk villas, 2-23 to 3-2-18. I had "security" enter my room while I was on the toilet. I had to get up to see who was in my room and what they wanted. I did not have the latch on the door as my wife and 6 yr old granddaughter were at the pool. On another day, the three of us were walking to the pool. A different "security" guy stopped us in the hall, asked what room we were in, and then made me march back to the room for his "visual security check". It felt like the warden doing a surprise inspection on my cell.

Having said that, we're going back again in February 2019. I hope it's gotten better and more friendly.

Started a Pop stay on July 5th. Had housekeeping. Never disturbed, never a problem and housekeeping was always done by at least 2pm, and we left the room around 7 or 8 am each day. The only day I put the sign out on the door handle was checkout morning, and we weren't disturbed and didn't officially leave the room til around 10:30 am. We've stayed at Disney twice since the policy, not a big deal either time.

After vowing to stay offsite, I am on a quick last minute trip to see Toy Story land before my AP expires, staying at Pop. Declined housekeeping, was napping about 2:45 today when a loud knock woke me up. Had to put more clothes on, she knocked again before I got to the door. She came in explained why she was there, walked around, peeked in the bathroom. It was WEIRD. (I did have the top bar on so she would not have been able to come in quickly while I was partially clothed.)

Edited to add - The next day, a knock came at 11:30 AM, and before I could get to the door housekeeping tried to enter (stopped by the bar). I told him I had declined housekeeping. Ten minutes later, same woman from 1st day knocked and came in and looked around.

I was only there for 3 nights, and had been granted a noon checkout time because I was planning to go to MK for EMH. I ended up sleeping in instead, and housekeeping knocked at 9:30. Told them I would be out in an hour. I found it odd they were knocking so early on checkout day anyway.

I never bothered to put out the room occupied sign because of reading it didn't do any good.

Last edited:
Here now at BCV staying on our points. Haven’t had any trash pick ups or any knocks on door at all so far in 4 days. Have never put the room occupied sign on door fwiw.

At Pop 2 weeks ago. Declined housekeeping. Stayed 5 nights and saw the person checking rooms once. They could very well have come other days while we were in the parks, but the one time they came in and saw us, checked the bathroom, then left without fanfare. BTW, they did not take out the garbage nor offer fresh towels.

Stayed at both Boardwalk and Kidani last 2 weeks. They had been in, as trash was done, but never saw anyone. So thumbs up from me.

At Pop and having a rotten time with this. We are AM park-nap-PM park people. We did not decline housekeeping expressly due to the room check policy. Yesterday, we arrived back around 2 and the room hadn’t been made up. We called via our phone and explained the room wasn’t done and we were coming back to nap; can we please have housekeeping in the AM and additionally asked that they not come by as we were laying down for a nap. They agreed and indicated it was being documented. An hour later, we were awoken by a knock. Housekeeping. So much for our nap.

So we returned to our room today; room still not clean. Repeat phone call, repeat request, explain what had happened the prior day, reiterate that we’re going to nap and please don’t knock. They respond by telling us to put the RO sign out. I’m reasonably certain it was out the prior day, but we agree nonetheless. Finish showering, put the sign out, drift off - tap tap on the door. I then proceed to show the man at the door the RO sign and all but beg him to tell me how to get an uninterrupted nap, and he first tells me to turn the sign over and write on it (???) and then tells me to go to the front desk. So after the aborted nap, I drag my exhausted self down to the front desk and explain AGAIN.

Front desk tells me no one is supposed to knock if RO is out (and confirms that no, we should not be writing on the RO signs). Supposedly the AM cleaning message will be passed to housekeeping ... I guess we’ll see tomorrow. I’ll update in a few days with the end of the saga...

First two days at BCV no one came and trash not emptied. In the four days since they’ve come every day while we’ve been out. It’s worked out for us.

We were at Kidani last week. We had the daily trash and recycling pick up. They came around 11:45-12 each day. I was expecting it and just left the bins by the door each day. We weren’t in the room two of the days. The other days, they knocked and swapped out the bags quickly. Overall about a two minute interaction.

I experienced the room check once on my trip at Pop with declined housekeeping. Around 10:30 am or so (I had been out late at Disney After Hours) I heard very persistent knocking which I tried to ignore. I had the door latched so I knew no one could enter and I thought they'd give up, but they did not. So I eventually got up and let them in. The man did a quick look through the room, including sticking his head in the bathroom and then left. It was annoying to be woken up earlier than I intended, but overall I think it's probably still a good idea.

Coronado stay in May, opted out of housekeeping, did not get a single room check while the room was occupied, which was usually until noon every day for a 7 day stay. If they checked it must have been after 12pm.

When in room I always keep security bolt engaged, just in case.

We stayed 4 nights at Copper Creek (cash reservation with daily housekeeping) this July. I had read the information about the security checks here, but otherwise I would not have known that there were checks going on, in fact, I started to wonder if they did not include deluxe resorts with daily housekeeping

We left in the morning (sometime between 7 am and 10:30 am) and returned to nap one of the four days around 2:00 pm. The other days we did not return until later in the afternoon, and then left again in the early evening. We used the room occupied sign when we were in the room and took it out when we were not in the room. Housekeeping cleaned the room daily while we were out. I guess we were fortunate that we were not bothered while we were in the room.

Just stayed 7 nights at AS Sports. We only had one experience with daily room checks, which was the day after we checked in. Housekeeping had not come all day, and while we were in the room that evening with the room occupied sign on the door, a man with a clipboard came knocking. He simply asked if everything was ok and if we needed anything. He sort of looked past me to see into the room, but didn’t come in.

Another afternoon, we returned from the park to find housekeeping had not come. So, I called to ask that a room check and/or housekeeping be delayed until after 6pm when we would be out again. Housekeeping came sometime that evening, as requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!