Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Thank you all for the prayers! We will see all in 2020. Ed let us know what we need to give you for the reservations next year. Joe, prayers for your lymopha that it is something minor. Like Mickeyfan0805 please keep the forum going, if y’all have time. Prayers for all.

Gloria, everyone books their own specific site via the on-line reservation tool here:

https://www.alapark.com/gulf-state-park

and over on the right click the "Book Online Campground Reservations" now. You were on site #3 last year and were going to be on #3 again this year as a reminder.

Most of our traditional sites are available Tuesday May 26, 2020 to Sunday May 31, 2020.

If the pattern holds, once people come in for Memorial Day and then go home, they book the next year right away. So I would book 2020 sooner rather than later.

Ed

Last edited:
Yes, it's not going to get better. I've said over on the main Camping Board in the past to book early because better to 'have it and not need it' rather than 'want it and can't get it'.

Done, went ahead and booked site 16 again. Check in on Tuesday, out on Saturday.

Regrettably we'll have to start passing on the May/June GSP trips. DW has now gotten cellulitis two years in a row and had to get on antibiotics because of her horrible reactions to yellow flies. We'll need to start looking later in summer for us in order to avoid the blasted things.

Well we were on the road early this morning, weather was great and traffic was not too bad. A couple of slow downs. Another 500 miles tomorrow and we will be in the campground..

20190522_081816_resized.jpg

Our traveling lap dog.

Resized_20190522_120935_8792.jpeg

She was trying to fall asleep.....

Well everyone travel safe and see some of you tomorrow night, and the others when you arrive.

Got home from work around 6. Grabbed some more groceries. Aired up the tires and then started carrying loads, and loads, and loads out to the camper. I still have to finish laundry and take my clothes out, but we are just about ready to head out early afternoon tomorrow.

j

All I need to do in the morning is hook truck up. My clothes and DD's are packed in as well as all the towels. My nephew is house sitting for us so I'll leave the groceries here and we'll get all that down there at Rouse's after we have our customary arrival day dinner at Gulf Island Grill.

OK, so we are still coming to GS next May as usual & then in Oct 2020 The Fort? If so, then we will make our reservations tomorrow 5/23 for Gulf Shore, site #3.

Well that was fun. The camper is resting in site 215 alone and I am back home. Traffic was good and no issues. I had a late lunch at Buccee's. Pulled pork sandwich, fresh fried potato chips and drink with banana pudding to enjoy after set up all for $10.00.

While checking in I discovered some pretty cool news I didn't know. The park system is closing the golf coarse in December and converting the area to additional camping. New primitive sites and yerks you can rent and maybe new camper sites. She said it was on the parks web site under long range plans. Hope everyone has a safe trip down. See ya real soon.

Last edited:
Wishing all of you a great time over the Memorial day holiday.
Thanks Spud!

While checking in I discovered some pretty cool news I didn't know. The park system is closing the golf coarse in December and converting the area to additional camping. New primitive site and yerks you can rent and maybe news camper site.
Michael and Joe,

We should be in early afternoon tomorrow. We are heading out this afternoon when I get home from work (1/2 day today). We are staying outside Huntsville (Athens) tonight. That's right at 1/2 way, so it should be a short, 6 hour, roll in on Friday.

j

Jim we should be pulling in about the same time, i hope. I think we can get up early and get out, its the atlanta traffic i have to get through. the earlier we start the better. I am working from home today. Mallory is on weekly vet visits and we can't go Saturday so i am taking her today. I am getting the building manager to help me get her in the car. I can get her out of the car, then will get a vet tech to help me get her in. In general we are packed. I have to do mallory stuff still. Tonight it is load the car. i am hoping bert gets out of training a little bit early. i am excited. it is going to be hot. I will need to start running at 6 am, which is no different then weekdays and i gain the hour so i guess i will get 1 extra hour than the work week. I guess that is what afternoon naps are for.

OK, so we are still coming to GS next May as usual & then in Oct 2020 The Fort? If so, then we will make our reservations tomorrow 5/23 for Gulf Shore, site #3.

I assume we will still do both in 2020, Gloria. Back at the 2017 Gulf Meet we discussed putting 2020 Gulf in hiatus status (because back then we were also considering May dates around the time of Gulf for a Fort meet but since then October won our poll vote). So make your reservation for Gulf 2020, imo, and if circumstances change, you can always cancel it.

I am booked for Gulf in May 2020. We've been coming at that time of year for over a decade (as soon as grade school-to-high school time was done for our kids) and I expect us (now down to me and DW) to continue for the foreseeable future. But everyone else's calendar and attendance is strictly up to them.

And of course The Fort in October 2020.

Ed

PS - and if the Gulf annual date in May is less than advantageous for everyone, we can consider moving it on the calendar after 2020. I particularly like the Alabama Gulf Coast in October (that's when Gulf Shores has its long running Shrimp Festival too, btw). Remember from November thru March, Gulf only has about 50 campsites for short-term use (LT 14 days) because snow birds start migrating down and pay for months at a time).

Thank you, Ed. Arnold will make our reservation today for May 2020 site#3. A lot depends on what & how long his cancer treatments will be. Hoping just radiation. Be safe & so sad we were suppose to arrive today!

Michael,

That fits pretty well on that site.

We made it to our overnight outside of Huntsville. We'll probably be up and on the road fairly early. We are used to being up between 5 and 6 for work, so I don't sleep much past 7 on the weekend.

Joe or Michael.

Do you mind checking on site 2 and let me know if it is empty? That may also determine when we hit the road. It should be another 6 hours to GSP from here, but I'm going to stop at Buckee's and fill up the main tank and pick up some DEF. The dash light came on going through Nashville and told me I only had 800 miles before I was out.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter