GusGus's Running Journal

Yeah they are not all easy & euphoric that's just part of the sport. Sometimes you don't know why. But if you know you were dehydrated that's a big component. I think it can even make your heart rate go up?

Yep! Multiple reasons for the bad run, just going to look forward to the next one!

Yesterday I got my 5.5 mile run in, on the treadmill 1% incline and 12 minute/mile pace, only a small break to reset the treadmill, overall much better than my Monday night run. Still not the best run, but I'll take it. Today I attended my typical Thursday morning strength class, it was awesome. Hopefully, the humidity will break tomorrow, debating getting my long run in tomorrow because I'm off and then I'll likely have the motivation to attend a special strength class on Saturday morning. We will see, what ends up happening. No plans for my day off tomorrow, laundry, cleaning, and just doing nothing! The best type of days off!

Week 9 is in the books! Long run today on the treadmill 1% incline and started at 12 minute/mile, brief break to restart the treadmill at 4.5 miles. Then finished the run off by gradually increasing the speed because I was feeling strong. Ultimately ended the run at just under an 11 minute/mile. It was a very successful run, felt strong all the way through. Very happy I decided to have a real rest day yesterday, which I think allowed for such a good run today. Tomorrow is a rest day, maybe go to a pool and probably get a walk in.

Onto week 10! Monday run 5 miles. Tuesday strength training. Wednesday run 4.5 miles. Thursday-right now I have a dentist appointment during my typical strength class, going to call on Monday and see if I can't get the dental appointment moved back so I can make my class. Friday rest day. Saturday 9 mile run.

Yesterday was just not my day, all day just felt off, from getting up in the morning and all day at work, didn't feel like my legs had a 5 mile run in them, so instead of heading right to the gym I came home and then pretty much just sat on my couch all last night.

I didn't sleep well, but today overall felt like I had gotten some of my groove back. Again today instead of going right to the gym I went to the grocery store then home, but managed to head back out and get my 5 mile run in. Was not a very strong run, not sure what it is about this first run of the week...on the treadmill 12minute/mile on 1% incline. I made it through and that is all that matters.

Tomorrow have the 4.5 mile run, hoping for a good night sleep and to get to the gym right after work instead of the break. Hoping for a strong run, wondering if my legs are just fatigued, at this point going to take it one run at a time. Plan for 4.5 miles tomorrow, Thursday my strength class (I was able to get my dentist appointment moved!), and Friday rest. Saturday 9 mile run. Then next week again increase mileage, but the week after is a break.

Hoping to try to enjoy the last bit of summer by getting to the pool any chance I have and work on my lackluster tan. Everyone have a good week!

I made it through and that is all that matters.

Exactly! Good for you!

Hoping to try to enjoy the last bit of summer by getting to the pool any chance I have and work on my lackluster tan. Everyone have a good week!
Me too! The outdoor pool at the gym closes Labor Day weekend so I have been out there every chance I get but the weather has not been the greatest.
Have a good week!

Skipped my run yesterday, wanted to get it done before my strength class this morning, but had to head to work for a bit, then by the time I made it to the gym I only had time for 1.5 miles before my class. The class was awesome, but I didn't have the motivation or the strength at that point to get back on the treadmill. I was able to enjoy a super nice day and was at the pool for 2.5 hours!

I think I'm going to not try and make up the 3 miles and just move forward from here, with the 9 miler on Saturday, end the week strong! Hoping for more good weather and pool days!

Week 10 in the books, not the most successful as the 2nd run was not completed, but overall an ok week. 9 miler today on the treadmill, I've been in a routine to go to the farmer's market first thing saturday morning and indulge in one of the vendor's fresh made pancakes, leaving me to push back my long run into the afternoon, so heat and humid and it was the treadmill for me. 9 miles at 12minute/mile pace with short break mid-way to restart treadmill at 1% incline all but the last 0.5 miles. The last 1.5 miles and I was just ready to be done, my knees and hips were feeling sore and my right neck/shoulder area was bothering me as well. I should have brought some fuel with me but didn't, once I get much past 1.5 hours and I know I really need start to fuel during the run. Overall it was an ok run, heart rate was ok and didn't max out. Tomorrow will be a rest day, and then I need to get after week 11. Need to try and keep my motivation high because I get through this next week then there is a slight reprieve in the my training plan.

Plan for week 11, 2-5 mile runs which at my pace are an hour each and then 1-10miler so 2 hours. The 5 mile runs will be Monday and Wednesday. Hopefully some strength on Tuesday and foam rolling. Thursday my awesome strength class. Friday rest day. Saturday 10 miler, need to decide what I want to do with the fueling, I have used Nuun, GU's, gummy bears, pretzels...probably the most successful was the nuun but right now I don't know if I can stomach the taste/grittiness. The gummy bears/pretzels didn't work well, I ended up choking. I may need to stop by my running store and see what else is out there and then I can use up my 10 dollar credit! Only problem with going to the running store is it is very hard for me not to walk out without a new pair of shoes...

5 mile run done in 58 minutes 40 seconds! The run was on a treadmill, 1% incline and started 12 minutes/mile. I increased my pace to 11:32 minutes/mile after 2 miles and then for the last .25 miles was increasing my pace until the end. Was a very strong run for me, despite having some pain in my right calf (which seems more and more like a chronic problem). I probably need to focus on foam rolling more and see if I can get whatever is causing me grief to stretch out. Tomorrow planning on strength training! Everyone have a goo week!

Another 5 mile run in the books, unfortunately not a great run. Got to the gym and onto a different type of treadmill than I normal run on, set it for 12min/mile on 1% incline and almost immediately knew that I was going to have a problem. Both of my calves were really tight. After about the first minute took off the incline and then after about another minute reduced the pace to 12.5. Shortly after the tightness gave way to a spasm type pain worse in the right calf and my knees were sore. I reduced the pace to 13:03 hoping to be able to get through the run. At just about 2 miles my right calf was in bad shape and my right foot became numb, I've had this happen to me before I think with the spasm my nerves get irritated. I knew I wouldn't make it to 5 without doing something with my right calf. I decided to get to 2.5 miles and then get off and stretch and foam roll my calves. Spent 10 minutes foam rolling and then stretching and the calves felt better. Got back on the treadmill and put it back on a 13:03 pace and really had no probably getting through the second 2.5 miles. After I got off the treadmill I stretched my calves really well.

Tomorrow I have a strength class but going to try and really stretch things out to prevent what happened tonight from happening again. Cardiovascular wise I definitely could have done more so that is a good feeling. Saturday is my 10 mile run and I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with fueling yet, maybe tomorrow will be the day I stop at the running store to check out more options. The weather has cooled off here, but hoping tomorrow will be sunny and warm so I can enjoy the gym pool again! Happy running everyone!

Week 11 in the books, wasn't feeling great yesterday so didn't do much of anything. Felt better today so got the 10 mile run done. On the treadmill 1% incline 12 minute/mile, short stop after the firs hour to resent the treadmill, thought I could power through some GI distress, but after restarting the treadmill, I had to make a quick break. Got back on the treadmill and finished the run strong without changes to the incline or pace. Overall, a very good run. I had some tinges in my right calf early on but that subsided so I'm happy with where that is at this point. Didn't make it to the running store this week, so had a small lemon-lime gatorade that I started sipping at about the 1 hour mark and that worked fine from a fueling standpoint. I felt better at the end of the run then I did after the 9 mile run without any fuel.

Looking forward to week 12, sort of a break week, 4, 4.5 and 7 miles. Tomorrow plan to get the 4 mile run in, Tuesday going to try and be good and get some strength training in, Wednesday 4.5, Thursday strength class, and Saturday 7 miles. I'm hoping my gym pool isn't going to close after this weekend, it has been raining a lot here so haven't been able to get out in the sun. Hoping this next week, I can spend some quality time out in the sun. Hope everyone who has off tomorrow has an awesome day and to all of you who work thank you! This labor day is the first labor day I haven't worked in probably 8 years and I know well the struggle with working the long holiday weekends!

Been MIA this week, missed my first two runs, I did attend my strength class today so that is a positive. Need to get back to the plan. Just going to let those two runs go and start from where I'm supposed to be. Long run on Saturday 7 miles, but tomorrow I'm going to try and get in a couple miles and some cross training. Wishing everyone a successful week!

After a week break, I'm back to get back at it! Week 13-6, 5, and 9 mile runs. Started off strong with the 6 mile run today. The weather was super nice, sunny in the low 70's without much humidity, so I ran outside! What a change running outside is vs. my typical treadmill run. It reminds me of what goes down must also go up...my area seems to have a fair amount of hills and I live about mid-way up a pretty decent hill. Overall, was a good run 6 miles in 1:11:42 so right on pace. My mile splits were pretty even at 11:21, 11:49, 11:54, 12:12, 12:07 and 12:15. I felt strong up until about the last mile, this is where I had the most inclines. Now with the weather changing planning to do more of my runs outside. Looking forward to the added challenge of the hills and trying to keep a steady pace. The biggest challenge will be the water and fuel issues as I'm not a fan of my hydration belt but I'll figure it out. I didn't carry water with me during the run today, but felt like I should have had some water part way through. The 5 mile run shouldn't be an issue but the 9 mile run I'll have to have water and probably fuel as I'll be out for longer than 1.5 hours, so maybe I'll do that one on the treadmill or figure out a loop that goes by my house.

Other planned workouts for this week, tomorrow strength and stretching, Wednesday 5 mile run, Thursday strength class, Friday rest day, and Saturday 9 mile run. Everyone have a good week!

Several beautiful days here! Yesterday went to the outdoor pool and got some laps in. Today went again to the pool, didn't manage any laps but enjoyed myself immensely, soaking in the last little bit of summer. Didn't get the 5 mile run today, but plan to do that tomorrow morning before my strength class. Hoping for another awesome day to sit by the pool. :beach:

Several beautiful days here! Yesterday went to the outdoor pool and got some laps in. Today went again to the pool, didn't manage any laps but enjoyed myself immensely, soaking in the last little bit of summer. Didn't get the 5 mile run today, but plan to do that tomorrow morning before my strength class. Hoping for another awesome day to sit by the pool. :beach:

Sounds good - best of luck!

Lucky you! They closed the outdoor pool at my gym last weekend. :(

After being away for a couple weeks, with just life and pretty much excuses for why I wasn't getting all my runs in...I'm back. The reason I started this journal was to be accountable and again I let my life get in the way of getting through the runs. After mostly missing my runs, I'm getting back on track.

My 11 mile long run was scheduled for today. I had to work and when I got home, I wasn't not feeling well, after some rest, got myself into gear and to the gym with the goal to get through the entire run. I was on the treadmill 1% incline 12min/mile pace. The first hour went by and I had to restart the treadmill. I decided I would run the additional mile and then restart the treadmill again. Got through the that 6th mile and restarted for the last hour. Got through almost 2.5 miles more, so just about 8.5 miles total and my I couldn't keep going...wasn't a cardio thing, both my knees were bothering me and probably more mental toughness than anything, and probably my earlier illness. Plan to get back on track with a 3 mile run tomorrow to make up for the few miles I missed today.

Then onto week 15. I can't believe the race is already in 2 weeks. Monday 3, Wednesday 4.5 and Saturday 6, with plans for strength class both Tuesday as I'm off for working the weekend and Thursday.

I need to start thinking of what I'm going to do after walking the half marathon. I'm probably going to redo some of this current plan, maybe even restarting from week 5. I still don't have a goal race, going into winter the opportunities will become less and less, unless I do a destination race (would love to do another rundisney race but probably not in the cards next year unless they bring back tink at disneyland). Definitely race ready for a 10K, would need to redo the last couple weeks of training runs to be well prepared to run a half marathon. I should look at the intermediate training plan too, but think the intermediate training plan I was looking at before is 4 runs a week and at this point 3 is much more doable as I really want to try and strength train twice a week. Lots to think about, but getting back to it!

So yesterday didn't happen, but got right back at it today and got through a 6 mile run to make up for those miles I missed. I know you can't really make up the miles but feeling good about the run tonight. It was on the treadmill, 1% incline 12 minutes/mile pace, a very short break after 4.5 miles to stop the treadmill. Overall, a good run, the last mile or so I was working on my mental toughness. Tomorrow since I'm off I can make the afternoon strength class. Just going to keep moving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!