• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Half Marathon and DVC stay?

nhdisnut

My screen name says it all!!
DW and I are considering celebrating our 40th birthdays by challenging ourselves to the WDW Half Marathon next January. I'm curious if anyone:

1) has run the half marathon as a non-runner (we are in ok shape, but have never been runners and have never entered a running race - at least not since high school)

2) has had luck getting a DVC room over that weekend (Jan 12th next year)? We would like to use points, if possible. The resort itself doesn't really matter. I'm just curious because we may not decide for a few months and don't want to be stuck without a room. We would be looking for a studio.

Thanks!pluto:

Well it was CRAZY busy this year. We had to book through CRO to get a room for that night this year. I would get a room and just in case and you can always cancel it. I am doing the same thing as you two are doing. I was inspired when my wife and I were down there. We were on our way to cape mays for the buffet breakfast and I was looking our the window while I stuffed my face and decided I was going to do it in 2008. I have already started running for it. The half marathon I think I will do . The extra 13 miles, I just can't see myself doing it. Good luck and I will see you there. :thumbsup2

My wife ran the half marathon in 2006 with her sister. She is a runner, so I can't give you any tips, but here is what she said :

1. You have to get up very early (3:30-4:00?) and get a bus to where you register and line up.
2. The Morning of her half marathon it was 35 degree's, pretty cold standing outside for 2 hours
3. She loved the course, mostly flat I believe, and a lot of support as they ran from people watching.

I am not sure if the format has changed at all since 2006.

They planned on running this, so we booked at the 11 month window and got a one bedroom at SSR no problem. They got there Wednesday and left the following Monday

E

Well if you haven't been doing any training you aren't doing your selves any favors. However with the liberal 3.5 hour time limit that the DW half has had in the past you should be able to walk the whole thing. The 16 minute per mile pace is considered moderate even by walking standards.
As an example a good infantryman can cover that same distance in about 3 hours carrying a 45 lb. ruck, weapon, web-gear and 6 quarts of water. And I have seen plenty over the age of 45 do the 20K endurance validation in less than 2.5 hours with the same or greater load.
You can do it but do your self a favor by training even if you intend to walk.
During the 2005 WDW 1/2 marathon I saw dozens if not over a hundred fairly robust people who got the Donald Duck medal by walking the whole way.
This would be a great time to start a fitness routine that would carry you not only to the finish line of the DW 1/2 but through the rest of your life in great shape.
I say go for it and do your best.
Theo

Yes, you can do it!

I did the Goofy in 2006. I do not yet consider myself a runner. I'm trying. I never liked to run when I was younger, even though i was an athlete. Then suddenly I decided I wanted the challenge of doing endurance events.:confused3

So, I trained for about 8 months for the 2006 Goofy (I walked and ran). I did have to take some time off during training to allow some injuries to heal. But I got the three medals (Donald, Mickey and Goofy). Barely.

In 2006, as previously said, it was freezing. This past year it was the complete opposite. Just standing in the start area at 5 AM I was sweating like crazy. I think it gor up into the high 70's/low 80's.

Unfortunately, I did not get the three medals this year (only got Donald). I had to drop out of the full at 21 1/2 miles due to severe blisters on my feet.
I plan on trying again in 2008. I still walk/run the events. Eventually I hope to be able to run all the way, but the events are very walker friendly :)

I would book a room now. You could always cancel if your plans change.

As to room availability with DVC, I agree with above that you should reserve now at home resort and then cancel later if you decide not to go. However, getting a room should be easier for next year than last two years. It is a matter of timing. The marathon itself really does not fill any of the resorts. What happened in 2007 and 2006 is that the marathon weekend began less than a week after Jan 1. That first week in January is still fairly crowded with seasonal visitors particularly since many schools were taking their two week winter breaks the last week in December and first full week in January. Next year Jan 1 is a Monday and Marathon weekend is later, Jan 10-13, and you will not face that Christmas-time crowd issue.

We stayed at OKW for the 2006 marathon. I drove my husband, his friend and two other runners that we found waiting for a non-existent bus over to Bonnet Creek Parkway (the stop light just outside of OKW that makes you decide to turn right to go to MK, go straight to Epcot or left to AK or Disney Studios). They walked from there to the race start, less than a 1/2 mile. I think we left the villa about 5AM. Saved them from the 3:30AM bus ride over to Epcot.

I drove over to Epcot with our friend's mom, so we could see the runners go throught Epcot. Then we took the monorail over to MK to see them go through Main Street, then back to the car and over to AK to see them exit the park. Finally back to Epcot to see the finish.

If you plan on running, make sure you get your application in on time. The race closes down pretty quickly - especially the half. I think the Goofy Challenge has already filled with 3000 runners.

You never know what the weather will be - hot, freezing cold, wet, etc.

We did the half in 2005 and the full in 2006. I would recommend making your DVC reservation as soon as possible but no later than June...and of course you'll need to sign up for the race as well. I think it's been filling up by August, if not earlier.

I definitely advise doing SOME training before the race - mostly to get your feet and legs in shape to do that many miles. You definitely *don't* want to worry about getting blisters! And you need to make sure that you can sustain the 16 minute/mile pace. Personally, I'd recommend training at a 15 minute/mile pace - you get slowed down in the early going because there's so many people and it takes a while to get everyone spread out, and you also want to build in some time for potty breaks, water stops, and character photos.

I recommend taking a small camera (digital or a film disposable type) with you...it's really fun to take pictures along the way, especially when you're in the backstage areas or when there's characters.

It's really a great event - and as much fun as it can be to be running/walking 13.1 miles. :-) But as others mentioned, you do have to get up insanely early.

Good luck! I think that's a wonderful challenge for your 40th birthdays!

Thanks for all of the encouragement....at this point I think it is 80% certain that we will run......now to find the other 20% of courage that we need...:goodvibes

Well, we've cleared the dates at work and I just got off the phone with MS to book our room! Let the training begin!:scared:

Good for you!!!! Completing the race will give you a wonderful feeling of accomplishment - and don't be afraid to wear your medal when you're out and about the next couple of days - you've earned the bragging rights, and you'll see lots of other people doing the same thing!

We (son, daughter-in-law, and I) completed the half marathon in 2006, and I'm going to do it again in 2008. In 2006 I had badly sprained an ankle during the summer and could not run/jog for training, so I decided to walk most of the way. I found that http://www.halhigdon.com offered good advice for various levels. As others have said, 2006 was cold. So be prepared for anything from freezing to hot weather. Also, 4 am still sounds very early, especially when the race does not start until 6 am. Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter