Half Marathon and MK EMH

Miggie

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first ever EMH (AM) at MK on April 7th. I understand that the 1/2 marathon route doesn’t go near/into MK, but we are coming from from Kidani, which appears closer to the marathon route. What time should we be at the bus at Kidani to ensure we make it on time (well, early) to the EMH? I’m thinking pretty early, but I also don’t want my family to hate me too much!

Just FYI for those reading along looking to give advice, MK opens at 9am that Sunday with 8am-9am EMHs.

If it were me, I'd Uber over to the contemporary and walk over. The race starts at 5:30 so while there won't be TOO many people out there in the first few miles at 7:30am, the roads will still be closed. Ive never used a bus on any race morning (outside of the race busses to/from the start/finish line) so not much help there.

Also, here's the course map if helpful. I'm honestly not sure how they handle vehicle traffic around mile 6-8 in terms of folks coming from AKL trying to get to World Drive, I'm sure others will know for sure.

2019-SWRR-Half-Marathon-Course-Map.jpg

If it were me, I'd Uber over to the contemporary and walk over. The race starts at 5:30 so while there won't be TOO many people out there in the first few miles at 7:30am, the roads will still be closed. Ive never used a bus on any race morning (outside of the race busses to/from the start/finish line) so not much help there.

That's a good idea, but I'm curious if a random Uber driver be familiar with the ways around the road closures? I would think Disney drivers would be told what alternate routes to use (or am I just assuming too much there?). I guess if we end up getting stuck in traffic, everyone else will be too!

there is one lane open for traffic existing AK, but traffic is then forced to get off at the off ramp to Blizzard Beach/McDonalds, so you cannot get to World Drive. The race course takes up all of the outbound lanes from this off ramp to the next ramp at World Drive. Since this is miles 6 - 8 on the course, there will be runners on this part of the course from about 6:00 - 9:00, so it will impact travel to and from AK. expect at least a 15 minute delay in normal transportation travel, so best plan to leave a little early to account for it.

That's a good idea, but I'm curious if a random Uber driver be familiar with the ways around the road closures? I would think Disney drivers would be told what alternate routes to use (or am I just assuming too much there?). I guess if we end up getting stuck in traffic, everyone else will be too!
I dont think I would trust an Uber/Lyft driver that morning!!The previous poster is correct,runners and traffic will share a small stretch outside AK and the traffic will exit at Buena Vista by the All Stars and take that to World dr.The only other way to go would be to take Sherberth rd out to 192 out of Disney property and take 192 to World dr.I have no idea how much traffic youll encounter on each of these routes at that time.

Thank you all for your help! It'll be an early morning, but it's our first full day of vacation, so excitement will hopefully provide the motivation to get moving bright and early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter