Halloween 2020

Kubatob7500

Earning My Ears
Good Morning,

Just looking for other points of view on Halloween at the fort this year. With current situation, what are other campers thoughts on Halloween this year at the fort? Will they allow trick or treating and/or golf cart parade? Plus all the camper‘s halloween decorations that happen.

For me and the family we have not cancelled trip but it seems like a long shot we will be making the trip this year. We have made this trip for our annual two week vacation for many years now. With the current closures it just won’t be the same. No fireworks from the beach and no hoop de doo and the uncertainty of activities during our stay, make us very hesitant to make the trip this year.

Nobody knows what the future holds and I understand that. Just looking to see what fellow fort campers thoughts are on this Halloween.

Thank you.

Kubatob7500,

I think your question has sat here since Saturdy morning because nobody knows what Halloween will be like. :confused3

Opinions, however, are like noses: everybody has one - here comes mine.

First, regarding the golf cart parade, it certainly would not be held given the current covid rules. The July 4th cart parade was "virtual". People signed up in advance, decorated their carts, and then PARKED their cart on the edge of their driveway at their site/cabin. The judges travelled around each loop to ..... well .... judge .... the carts. So there was no rolling parade on July 4.

Decorations will be held to typical standards but they probably will not allow walk-throughs or walk-around-site type of decorations. I'm guessing they will permit anything to set up and admire from the road.

Yeah no fireworks, no HDDR, no Sleepy Hollow at TCD. Halloween ToT might be permitted but everyone will probably have to be masked (it would be hard for Disney to get around everywhere to deny it IMO). In past years my neighbors tried the "help your self to one piece of candy" (the un-manned approach) and that didn't last long. I think ToT could be done: child approaches, host puts the candy on a table at the edge of the road and steps back. Child takes candy and says "thank you". Wash-rinse-repeat. Parents can socially distance their own children going around the loops (no marauding packs of hooligans where one kid distracts the host while the others clean out the bowl - but i kid).

I think the interesting angle will be if non-Fort Disney guests attempt to come over for ToT given no parties over at MK. Will Disney do anything about that? Or attempt to?

I understand your being on the fence about this year. I have Alabama college football season tickets and had the option to forego them this year, get a refund, and wait for next year (20% attendance limit). But I decided to participate/do it because it's a unique year for sure and a long time in the future, we can look at each other and say "remember when .....".

I'll be at the Fort in two weeks and I don't fear for my health/safety. Florida is getting in a better situation little by little and Disney, if anything, seems to be going the full mile to make guests safe. Other guests? There are always yahoos/idiots out there even if you stayed home and ToT in the neighborhood. Me and mine, we would still go for Halloween if it were us.

But only you know your comfort level and what makes a trip worth it. So that's my opinion - good luck with your decision. 🎃

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Im thinking with the new cdc guidlines, no tot this year. You will see some decorated sites, but less as people dont know if they can have candy, etc. I fear it will not be magical.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...th/halloween-cdc-guidance-wellness/index.html

After reading the link, Sjm9911, I am hopeful that my description above fits in with activities of a similar type that are currently allowed at WDW.

It's kinda obvious but Disney might always default to the "not just no but heck no" attitude because of the bed bug lawyers.

But any reasonable head can read and understand. ::yes::

Thanks, Bama Ed

After reading the link, Sjm9911, I am hopeful that my description above fits in with activities of a similar type that are currently allowed at WDW.

It's kinda obvious but Disney might always default to the "not just no but heck no" attitude because of the bed bug lawyers.

But any reasonable head can read and understand. ::yes::

Thanks, Bama Ed
Im just thinking, that it will be near impossable to have the safeguards in place to relax the kidos enough to stay socially distant and follow rules. Wish i was wrong on that, but i don't see it happening. So , short Of disney creating cues for the loops, and staging times and placing cm into the loops. I dont see it happening. They will not pay extra for cms when there not making full $$$ now. The only way at this point to insure distancing will be to cancle it. I will say i do see people just doing tot on there own, and they probably will not stop it. But i dont think they will say its ok eaither.

Of course, Sjm9911, I'm sure you are correct.

Just reach back on the Internet through the DIS or other resources and show me the FW Halloween Trick or Treating on October 31 (for example: what time it starts) on the official recreation calendar that shows all WDW Halloween activities for each resort. Because that will show that Disney runs it. I'll wait right here.

Waiting%20Grinch_zpsiuatswjy.gif

Cookie%20Monster%20Waiting_zpsncjlmmat.gif

Waiting%20Jiminy_zpslohh7sls.gif

Oh not the doggie costume contest; not the golf cart parade; not the site decoration judging contest - those are all certainly WDW run activities on the calendar. But I asked about Trick or Treating on the calendar.

As I have said on the DIS here many times, ToT is an ORGANIC camper activity and not a Disney-led activity. You say yourself that Disney will not pay extra CM to work that night and I agree completely.

I alluded above that the lawyers (bed bugs that they are) may get involved.

However, of course with a phalanx of security, Cast Members, and grown ups, they can shut ToT down. They can certainly discourage it, demean it, deny it, and make it totally undesireable. And block out all the local kids whose parents dump them at FW to suck up the free candy.

But it's still almost too early to get a bead on HW. I replied in another thread that people don't know what it will be like.

It's hard to contain what Disney doesn't control. But they sure can bully it.

ED

PS - I'm a very conservative gambler. I only bet on sure things .... ::yes:: (99% or better-nothing is 100.0%)

Last edited:

Ill agree, the lawers will get involved. They always do! Lol.
And i will say, some will do it, but it will be discouraged officially, but unofficially you will get a wink wink and they will turn the other way. The problem will be 1) the discouragement or spread of the bah humbug halloween spirit. This will dissway some. And other will complaine, not a lot mind you, but 1 is enough. 2) disney need to think of the publicity, if anything happens covid related it will be bad press and maybe have an inpact upon full reopening. So, yes they will grab the pulpit and bully away. They may not have controlled it in the past, but when it can effect the bottom line and the amount of guests in the parks, they will find a way.
And this is just guestimating, things can improve by then. As you said , who really knows ? I dont . And i hope im wrong.

Thanks.

My point is that Disney doesn't run ToT. But sure they obviously influence it.

In the past they asked for a sign-up but never used it to permit or block candy stations that I'm aware of. (Did I sign up or not? Did I give out or not? :scratchin. I know the answers :rolleyes:.)

Whether ToT takes place this year at FW will depend mostly on campers and not Disney.

I will have come and gone next month by the time the 31st rolls around.

Halloween is quite the happening in any given year - and will be again. 👻

Ed

PS - Will be back in Feb21 too. DD demands it.

Valentines? :love: I hate to admit I am paying for it at FW. Quite the price jump.

Last edited:
Ed,

A couple of things in your first response that I just couldn't pass up.

Opinions, however, are like noses: everybody has one - here comes mine.

...and a long time in the future, we can look at each other and say "remember when .....".

Bama Ed

Noses? Not the body part I remember this saying is about...

Remember when? Not exactly my forte' at this age.

Ed,

A couple of things in your first response that I just couldn't pass up.

Noses? Not the body part I remember this saying is about...

Remember when? Not exactly my forte' at this age.
I know right , he made it disneyesk as only bama ed can. Now when i say " you know what opinions are like" , i can use that and say what were you thinking about?

Keeping it family friendly.

The one good thing is that if my opinion is completely wrong about ToT, I think the word will get out early enough to still allow the OP time to cancel. Heck when we are there in a few weeks if there hasn't been guidance already released regarding decorations, actitivies, ToT, etc. then I'll head up to the lobby and/or Bike Barn to find out if the decisions have been made yet.

Bama Ed

Thank you all for the replies. Pretty much what I was already thinking. We Are strongly leaning towards not making the trip this year. We will waiting and see what transpires over the next two weeks.

Side note, we are in central pa and for the next 3 weeks we have the outlaws vs posse to attend. If you are a dirt track sprint car fan, you will understand. Go posse!!!!

thank you

Just read posting from the TA who helped with the present DIS Rendevous going on at Ft Wilderness now. DISNEY has now made several announcements regarding HALLOWEEN. CM's will be present at the Boats and Bus stops checking peoples Magic Bands to restrict access to to the Fort.
OFFICIAL EVENTS such as the Golf cart Parade and The Beach Bash have been cancelled. Disney is also cancelling Trick or Treating despite not being a SANCTIONED activity

I so wanted to be wrong mike. That is a real downer. I still think who ever is down there should do there best to have a good time. If that means socially distant candy for the kidos, so be it. Toss it to them, leave it as a hide and seak. Let them run wild in the streets. At a minimum of 6 six feet apart of course. :rolleyes1

I love how Legoland is giving out candy for trick of treating. They have a long 'candy chute' , their employees slide the candy down into the kiddo's bag , the kids think it's fun to watch the candy slide!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter