Handicap Room BWV

Kelly25

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! We are looking to book our first trip "Home" for Jan 2019. We are taking along my SIL who is in a wheelchair. So we will be booking a 2bd handicap room and she would like a Boardwalk View room. My 11 month window opens in a few days and i have been using the room finder to see where we would be located. Well it looks like there is only one 2bd handicap room with a boardwalk view and it is on the 2nd floor right over the Screen Door. I have found pictures of the balcony and it has a half wall, so you can't sit and still see anything. We would have to stand to look out and she can't do that. Kind of defeats the point. Don't really want to waste all those extra points to have a boardwalk view room if that is what we will run into. Has anyone stayed in that room or does anyone know if I am wrong and there are other 2bd handicap rooms with a boardwalk view?

I've stayed in many BW View rooms over the years (including that one). None of the balconies can you sit and see anything - the railings are too high. Even the slatted railings - the slats are thick and spaced fairly close together.

You are right, it makes no sense that the handicapped room would have the completed blocked off balcony. Lack of thinking on Disney's part. At least with the slats you wouldn't feel boxed in.

The points for a BW View are the same as the points for a preferred view. So we've almost always done that. I spend a little time on the balcony, but mostly just look at Epcot and the lake through the windows while in the room. We've stayed standard view a few times, which does save on points, but we have too many points for our trips now.

Hey everyone! We are looking to book our first trip "Home" for Jan 2019. We are taking along my SIL who is in a wheelchair. So we will be booking a 2bd handicap room and she would like a Boardwalk View room. My 11 month window opens in a few days and i have been using the room finder to see where we would be located. Well it looks like there is only one 2bd handicap room with a boardwalk view and it is on the 2nd floor right over the Screen Door. I have found pictures of the balcony and it has a half wall, so you can't sit and still see anything. We would have to stand to look out and she can't do that. Kind of defeats the point. Don't really want to waste all those extra points to have a boardwalk view room if that is what we will run into. Has anyone stayed in that room or does anyone know if I am wrong and there are other 2bd handicap rooms with a boardwalk view?

I stayed in that room, but only for one night. Yes, you're correct about the half wall situation. I could stand so it was OK, but I can definitely see your problem with it. Don't know of any other HA Boardwalk view 2 BRs.

so i guess ill book standard at my 11 month mark. maybe we could switch somewhere else at 7 months.

so i guess ill book standard at my 11 month mark. maybe we could switch somewhere else at 7 months.

We always book the 2br standard view H/C with roll in shower. We love the location. First room down the hall off the elevator. We request 1st or 2nd floor. Nice view of the pool area.

We always book the 2br standard view H/C with roll in shower. We love the location. First room down the hall off the elevator. We request 1st or 2nd floor. Nice view of the pool area.

The standard view faces the pool? That's cool! Do you have any pictures?

As you've learned the Boardwalk view HA room is 2nd floor and solid wall. We've enjoyed that room but if one can't stand they won't see any of the things that you book Boardwalk view for. AFAIK the standard view HA faces the front area of the resort. But we've been in one of the pool/garden view 2BR's with roll in shower and here was our view of the main pool. It's also wonderfully convenient to the elevators.

p2056788857-4.jpg

p1974241595-4.jpg

As you've learned the Boardwalk view HA room is 2nd floor and solid wall. We've enjoyed that room but if one can't stand they won't see any of the things that you book Boardwalk view for. AFAIK the standard view HA faces the front area of the resort. But we've been in one of the pool/garden view 2BR's with roll in shower and here was our view of the main pool. It's also wonderfully convenient to the elevators.

thankyou for the pics! I have read that the roll in showers can leak all over the bathroom floor. have you had an issues with that happening? We really only need the handicap accessible room for the studio side but it sounds like both the 1bd and the studio will be accessible.

thankyou for the pics! I have read that the roll in showers can leak all over the bathroom floor. have you had an issues with that happening? We really only need the handicap accessible room for the studio side but it sounds like both the 1bd and the studio will be accessible.

Yes, at BWV both sides are HA. During the refurb a couple years ago they did try and address the issue and I didn't have any issues although in the past if I was very careful I could often manage to not get water all over - ie, never let the shower head point out but keep it directed more towards the wall. Otherwise towels were the answer to block any leaking out.

But they placed down a rubber stop now:

p1941790930-5.jpg

p2136609253-5.jpg

FYI - this is the studio side shower They apparently did not add the stop there but my sister never complained about having issues with water all over although she does deal with that at most hotels so might have just considered it normal but I don't believe there was a problem.

p2065473456-5.jpg

Yes, at BWV both sides are HA. During the refurb a couple years ago they did try and address the issue and I didn't have any issues although in the past if I was very careful I could often manage to not get water all over - ie, never let the shower head point out but keep it directed more towards the wall. Otherwise towels were the answer to block any leaking out.

But they placed down a rubber stop now:

p1941790930-5.jpg

p2136609253-5.jpg

FYI - this is the studio side shower They apparently did not add the stop there but my sister never complained about having issues with water all over although she does deal with that at most hotels so might have just considered it normal but I don't believe there was a problem.

p2065473456-5.jpg
I’ve been watching this thread because we have a Pool/Garden view studio with roll-in shower booked for next week. I assumed the shower would have a built in bench so I wouldn’t need to bring my shower chair. Is that not the case? I don’t want to get there & regret not bringing one.

I’ve been watching this thread because we have a Pool/Garden view studio with roll-in shower booked for next week. I assumed the shower would have a built in bench so I wouldn’t need to bring my shower chair. Is that not the case? I don’t want to get there & regret not bringing one.

The shower chair that is shown in the studio shower was provided in the room but no, there wasn't a built in bench which surprised me. The 1BR had the built in.

Was this a lock-off?

BWV only has 2BR lock-offs so yes. I'm not positive but I don't think that any of the HA rooms with roll in showers are dedicated but I'd have to see if the room map shows them or not.

BWV only has 2BR lock-offs so yes. I'm not positive but I don't think that any of the HA rooms with roll in showers are dedicated but I'd have to see if the room map shows them or not.
Would that mean all HA studios would be part of a lock-off & be like the studio you pictured? I really appreciate your help. We’ve never stayed at a HA studio at BWV but have several times at BCV & just assumed the studios would be similar. I was interested in this thread mostly because, like the OP, I was wondering about views & location. After seeing your photos I became concerned about the shower also.

Would that mean all HA studios would be part of a lock-off & be like the studio you pictured? I really appreciate your help. We’ve never stayed at a HA studio at BWV but have several times at BCV & just assumed the studios would be similar. I was interested in this thread mostly because, like the OP, I was wondering about views & location. After seeing your photos I became concerned about the shower also.

I believe so but am not positive that they are all part of a lock-off. We've never stayed at BCV when we needed an HA room so can't compare but from other pictures I thought they were pretty similar?

I believe so but am not positive that they are all part of a lock-off. We've never stayed at BCV when we needed an HA room so can't compare but from other pictures I thought they were pretty similar?
Thank you for your time. I think to be safe I’ll bring my shower chair. I don’t like to count on the ones they provide. I did find some photos on Trip Advisor of BWV studios with built in benches but it may have been before the remodel since the reviewer complained about the shower head not being adjustable. The one in your photo looks like it is. Maybe they removed the benches with the remodel. I guess I’ll find out when I get there. Thanks to your photos I’ll be prepared either way.

I have always gotten a shower chair whenever I have requested one.

I have always gotten a shower chair whenever I have requested one.

There have been reports of some of the ones Disney supplied being inadequate & some reports that it’s not a sure thing that one will be available. I don’t really expect that the resorts should have unlimited supplies of shower chairs or benches of the type that any guest might need. I did expect a room with a roll-in shower would always have a built-in bench. Guess I was mistaken.

bobbiwoz, I don’t know why my comment was combined with yours. I must have done something wrong. I just meant to reply to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter