Handicap

gary in florida

Mouseketeer
I mentioned earlier that we would be going on a cruise and had some questions about handicap on the cruise. We just got back and here is some info on the handicap. We were on the Dream in cabin 6090. We rented a 3 wheel electric scooter for my wife I had a walker. The cabin is a 4D cat, 299 sq ft with a veranda, plenty of room for the 4 of us, my wife, my daughter and our great granddaughter, sleeps 5, queen size bed sleeps two, sofa sleeps one, Murphy bed sleeps one, and bunk bed sleeps one. It only has one bathroom because it's handicap but it's huge, the shower has a hand shower head, seat and bars. We rented a scooter which was on Deck 2 by the restaurant before departure. When arriving at the terminal they supplied a wheel chair. The cabin steward told us to keep the wheelchair in the room so we'd have one for the departure and at the end he would take care of the scooter. On Castaway Cay the trams are equipped to handle wheel chairs and electric scooters in the front of the tram. The CM's on the trams are great just like the other CM's on the trip. When they see you with the chair or scooter they make assist getting on and off. When arriving at the ship which is still a distance for the end of the tram line, I had a walker, and they called a golf cart to assist getting to the ship. The staff at the restaurants were very helpful with the scooter. My wife would drive it to the table, because there is no room near the tables, they would take the scooter park it near the entrance, give us the key then at the end of dinner retrieve the scooter.
No one should be hesitant to take a cruise because of being handicap, the CM's were all great. MOST of the people were very helpful, helping out at the elevators an walking thru the ship. But, there are always the ones who look at you when you start coming and don't move, try to get on the elevator ahead of you even tho you've been waiting, but again most were helpful.
If I didn't answer questions about the handicap trip let me know and I'll try to answer

Thank you gary in florida for such detailed information. Last trip to WDW I used a scooter. In airports I request a wheelchair. Upcoming cruise I was going to forego using a scooter and make do with my cane. You have given me more options to think about.

We are on the Dream in May. Did you have any trouble getting a handicap seat for the shows? Any other tips you have? My mom will be using a scooter. She will bring her own as she has extreme walking limitations.

We are on the Dream in May. Did you have any trouble getting a handicap seat for the shows? Any other tips you have? My mom will be using a scooter. She will bring her own as she has extreme walking limitations.
No problem with the shows. if you want to sit up front like we did, get in line and when you come to the CM ask about handicap seating. He will get someone to take you to the front, that is taking an elevator, no crowds on this one, and the non handicap people walk down to the seating which has places for the chair or scooter and seating for the others. At the end of the show the CM is right there to take the whole family back to any level. If there are more than 2 others the rest will have to leave taking the stairs out of the show. We went to 3 shows and sat in the front, including for Beauty and the Beast which was almost full. So, bottom line no problem getting handicap seat, they are VERY helpful as long as you ask and get there about 20 minutes before the show, except for Beauty than it would be about 45 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter