Handicapped Parking

mavanilly

Earning My Ears
I just want to make sure I have this right. I think I read that using our handicapped sticker at the handicapped parking spots at AK, MGM, and Epcot is a good idea, but at MK it's a longer walk than if we parked in the regular lot and took the tram? Thank you for the advice. :maleficen :banana: :smooth:

This is true. However, if you are able to use the tram it would be greatly appreciated by those of us that have no choice but to park in the handicap spots because of wheelchairs if you used regular parking at all the parks. When you go in the lot request a parking spot at the end of the row next to a tram stop and they will assist you.

Here's what the Disney website page page about guests with disabilities has to say about parking:
Guests with the ability to walk short distances and step up onto the courtesy trams should park in the main parking lots of Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney-MGM Studios, or Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park. The courtesy tram will transport Guests to the Entrance Complex. Parking for Guests with mobility disabilities or who are traveling with personal wheelchairs is available adjacent to the Entrance Complex at each of the four Parks.

Guests should inquire at the Auto Plaza for directions on parking options.
There are trams that go from the regular parking lot to the park entrance.
There are NO trams to go from the handicapped parking area to the park entrance, even at MK, where the handicapped parking is a long walk.
If you are staying at a WDW resort (but not a MK resort), your best way to get to MK is to ride the bus. That will give you the shortest walk and you won't have to walk up or down the very steep ramps that lead to the monorail station.

If you do park in the handicapped parking, please don't use the wider van spots unless you have a van with a lift or need the extra room because the person needs to park their wheelchair next to the vehicle in order to transfer. People who need the extra room can't use the smaller spots.

Thank you for suggesting that. Would never have thought of requesting that. I'm not sure if I can board a tram or not, but I'll give it my best shot.

The handicapped parking spaces at the row ends nearest the tram, for guests who can climb into the trams, are painted over so others don't use them by accident. The CM in the lot just tells you to park on the painted area.

If your vehicle has a side lift and there are no "wide" spaces, simply straddle two "narrow" spaces. Ideally vehicles with side lifts should have a sticker on that side saying keep so many (8?) feet away.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

seashoreCM said:
Ideally vehicles with side lifts should have a sticker on that side saying keep so many (8?) feet away.

SeaShoreCM vans with side lifts to have signs stating that no one should park within 8 feet but that just seems to be a magnet for cars to park closer. That's why I went to a rear lift.

On our old van, we did have the stickers. No one paid attention to it at all.
The saleperson with the van company when we bought our new van said no one is actually putting the stickers on anymore (although the company does provide them if needed) because they don't do any good. You really need a van accessible parking spot to use a side entry van (and anyone who would park in the cross-hatched no parking zone next to one of those spots is not going to pay attention to a sticker on the van).

A much bigger problem is people who have handicapped parking permits, but don't have wheelchairs parking in the van accessible spots. Almost every time we try to park, we find the van accessible spots filled with cars.

SueM in MN said:
A much bigger problem is people who have handicapped parking permits, but don't have wheelchairs parking in the van accessible spots. Almost every time we try to park, we find the van accessible spots filled with cars.
Unfortunately frequently that is all that is available. Try not to park in the van accessible spots but when it is the only one left and I am hurting I will use it if DH is not with me. If he is with me he will unload the wheelchair and then go park elsewhere after I am settled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter