Has anyone bought a child car seat instead of renting

mantismad

Mouseketeer
We are renting a car with Avis through BA flydrive. We are going to Orlando for 3 weeks and I wandered if anyone had ever bought a child car seat while in Orlando instead of renting and if so from where?

We are renting a car with Avis through BA flydrive. We are going to Orlando for 3 weeks and I wandered if anyone had ever bought a child car seat while in Orlando instead of renting and if so from where?

you could have one shipped to your hotel, or buy one at walmart, target, etc
however, you'll need one at the airport, so how will that work?

you could have one shipped to your hotel, or buy one at walmart, target, etc
however, you'll need one at the airport, so how will that work?

We (2 adults) arrive at MCO & collect the family car 3 days before the other 4 members of our family arrive. I thought it may be cheaper than renting for 3 weeks to buy the 2 x car seats in Orlando before we drive back 3 days later to collect the other 2 adults & 2 children from MCO. We will take them back to MCO after their holiday as we are also staying 3 days longer than them as well (our recovery time)
I thought I would ask if anyone had done this as I am not sure where the best place to buy car seats would be close to Disney. It is good to know that Walmart & Target have them.

We (2 adults) arrive at MCO & collect the family car 3 days before the other 4 members of our family arrive. I thought it may be cheaper than renting for 3 weeks to buy the 2 x car seats in Orlando before we drive back 3 days later to collect the other 2 adults & 2 children from MCO. We will take them back to MCO after their holiday as we are also staying 3 days longer than them as well (our recovery time)
I thought I would ask if anyone had done this as I am not sure where the best place to buy car seats would be close to Disney. It is good to know that Walmart & Target have them.

you can check the prices online to see what they are at walmart/target.
There are several walmarts pretty close to WDW, so it's really easy to drive there and buy two car seats.
And yes, i'm sure you're correct that it will be cheaper to buy them.
Alternatively, you can order them on amazon and have them shipped to your resort - assuming you're staying at a resort.
You can order them to arrive a a week or two early to be sure they're there when you get there..

you can check the prices online to see what they are at walmart/target.
There are several walmarts pretty close to WDW, so it's really easy to drive there and buy two car seats.
And yes, i'm sure you're correct that it will be cheaper to buy them.
Alternatively, you can order them on amazon and have them shipped to your resort - assuming you're staying at a resort.
You can order them to arrive a a week or two early to be sure they're there when you get there..

Thank you Beth I have checked them out online and it does seem that the cheaper option for us for the 3 weeks is to buy. I appreciate your help.

I think it’s a great plan not only for cost but for value... I rented 2 car seats from Alamo and they were the cheapest things I’ve ever seen. I did not feel safe with my kids in them so we ended up going to the Target and buying 2 sturdy car seats. From now on I won’t bother renting car seats.

We’ve always taken our own car seat with us, there is no charge from your airline

I was going to mention this as well. You can check one car seat free for each child on all domestic airlines. Just get a luggage cart on the way to your rental car.

We keep our fancy Britax/Diono car seats permanently in our cars and have two lower end(though highly rated for safety) seats for when we fly. We check them in padded airline bags that cost at $40 on amazon. Throw them in the attic stored in the bags when we're home and they are easy to grab for the next trip. Plus no unhooking the seats the kids just rode to the airport in which we found was a huge pain during stressful airport times.

Our travel seats. These guys hook up to rental cars in a cinch as well. And are fairly light compared to some car seats.

https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Contender-Convertible-Seat-Glacier/dp/B00PTL2BE8
We found one as low as $65 once.

Just like @BrettWyman above, we keep our fancy car seat in our car at home, but travel with a less expensive, yet still highly rated car seat, that we airline bag check. We also purchased a travel carrying bag for the seat off Amazon. All the US airlines accept child car seats as luggage at no charge.

If you want to purchase a car seat on arrival in Orlando, I would suggest buying it online in advance through Walmart or Target and selecting ship to store for pickup. Then you know you will have the exact model and price that you want.

Like @GoofyCoaster and @BrettWyman our niece and her husband brought car seats with them in carry bags and were able to check them in for free. Would highly recommend their suggestion of buying additional ones though so that you can leave some in the car for your journey home. Nieces went missing on the journey home and while some airlines have spares they can lend out in the event of this happening Aer Lingus didn't. We then had a real rush around Glasgow in the evening trying to purchase ones before the shops closed so they could do the 7 hour drive the following day to Thurso with their children properly restrained. Needless to say the seats turned up a few days later but not in time for their journey North. Aer Lingus forked out for the new ones and they now have an additional set for their holiday this summer.

Mrs TT

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!