Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

These look phenomenal. What did you use to make the straight lines? A paint brush? They are so straight. Great job!

Thank you! Well, I used a fine point pencil to draw most of the lines prior to painting them over with black. I used a small ruler for those straight lines. The real trick to all of it is lots of magnification and a very fine bristled brush. My eyes hurt for hours after finishing one of these bands. It's worth it in the end though!

So I have my magic bands and I have my crystals and I'm getting ready to decorate. I have been through 239 pages of this thread some pages I may have read closer than others. But I'm not sure if I missed it but quick questions for those that have decorated with crystals and other things. It seems like everything I found was for the original had problems, but with new 2.0 version if you cover the main Mickey head and it still work?

So I have my magic bands and I have my crystals and I'm getting ready to decorate. I have been through 239 pages of this thread some pages I may have read closer than others. But I'm not sure if I missed it but quick questions for those that have decorated with crystals and other things. It seems like everything I found was for the original had problems, but with new 2.0 version if you cover the main Mickey head and it still work?

There never was any issues covering the Mickey head with crystals on the original bands. It's the same technology on the new bands so I would not think there would be any issue with them either.

This is the first time we've decorated our magic bands, and while there were lots of fantastic examples in this thread and elsewhere on the web, there were not a lot with the magic band 2.0. Thought I'd post a couple pics of ours for anyone who was looking for ways to customize the newer bands. There are a couple of older bands there as well since my one DD preferred the Baymax on her old red band and my younger DD wanted to do Pooh on her old yellow. I also showed the back side of the purple to show Rapunzel's tower. They're certainly not perfect, but we like them :)
MagicBands1.jpg MagicBands3.jpg MagicBands2.jpg MagicBands4.jpg MagicBands5.jpg

Just found this from another thread. I'd love to do this for our trip in 19 days, I have four MB2's from other trips. One for every day. We go a lot.

Is it better to use nail polish or paint pens?

Last edited:
Just found this from another thread. I'd love to do this for our trip in 19 days, I have four MB2's from other trips. One for every day. We go a lot.

Is it better to use nail polish or paint pens?

Sorry, I have no idea which is "better" since we didn't try the paint pens. The nail polish seemed to work well, but we did use toothpicks, etc at points to do the finer details. Actually for our Mickey heads, the flat end of a skewer dipped in polish worked for the circles. We just used a larger one for the head itself and a smaller one for the ears. We did use Sharpie on one, but I don't expect that will wear as well and smeared right off if you tried to coat it with clear or anything. We haven't used ours yet, so I can't confirm how durable they end up being, but it was still fun and we do love how they look. Have fun with it!

Same question - which brand of nail polish do you use for the base coat. We had used Sinful but it cracks.

I use a base coat for both the base and the top coat. The layers of polish will crack if you really open up the band so in part it's about using a bit of care with the band. Wet and Wild Base coat is what I usually end up using mostly because it's the cheapest.

So you didn't use the acrylic spray on the top? We used Sinful clear polish and the last 2 years they really started cracking. We are trying to go without the top coat and just acrylic spray. We will see how it works out.

I have used acrylic spray but if it started cracking then there could be flaking. It's ok but IMO not necessarily better than using a base coat for a top coat.

And if I remember correctly from one of your previous posts, when using leather paint you do not use any kind of sealant/top coat? Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

And if I remember correctly from one of your previous posts, when using leather paint you do not use any kind of sealant/top coat? Or am I remembering that incorrectly?

It's very possible one would be ok without but I wanted a little more shine so I did apply a topcoat that was sold for use on the leather paints. It was an acrylic sealer.

I went to Walmart today and got some stick on gems, cute 3/4" wide duct tape and Plaid matte spray sealer. Now let's see what I can create. :rotfl::rotfl:

I already have a lot of nail polish colors so didn't get any. Think I'll practice on my old style bands. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

so I put the stick on jewels on but they don't seem like they won't stay on too well. Will the matte sealer help them stay on? Should I use something else? They look so cute, I would hate to have all the jewels fall off. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I finished DH & my bands. I think they came out ok. I used tattoos & nail polish for mine & stickers & nail polish for DH's. I think the tattoos worked better, though I kind moved one tinker during transfer causing her bust area to look off. I couldn't find storm trooper tattoos, so I used stickers. I think tattoos would've looked nicer, but the stickers aren't bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 110
Has anyone glued rhinestones on top of the Mickey head? Will there be scanning issues?

I was watching some videos on YouTube and two different people said don't cover the Mickey head. I was like too late. Hahaha

This is the first time we've decorated our magic bands, and while there were lots of fantastic examples in this thread and elsewhere on the web, there were not a lot with the magic band 2.0. Thought I'd post a couple pics of ours for anyone who was looking for ways to customize the newer bands. There are a couple of older bands there as well since my one DD preferred the Baymax on her old red band and my younger DD wanted to do Pooh on her old yellow. I also showed the back side of the purple to show Rapunzel's tower. They're certainly not perfect, but we like them :)
View attachment 261199 View attachment 261200 View attachment 261201 View attachment 261202 View attachment 261203
I love the red Minnie mouse one, that's my favorite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter