Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

So, my husband complains that there are gray magic bands, and he really just wants a black one. So my plan is to paint it before we go.

Any suggestions on what to use? Paint, nail polish?

Also, should I seal it with something? Any recommendations would be great!

The only paint that will not crack at all is leather paint. I paint every single inch of my bands, it is amazing stuff. It stays very flexible and takes a lot of abuse with no visible degradation. The problem is it is expensive and not readily available at your average hobby shop. I got a 12 color set of Angeles Leather Paints through Amazon. A small amount goes a very long way, but that set was like $30.

If you go with acrylics or nail polish, don't go with thick layers and just use a thin coat of a spray on top coat to seal your work. The thicker the layers, the quicker the cracking.

Attachments

• IMG_2291 copy.JPG
    IMG_2291 copy.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 152
The only paint that will not crack at all is leather paint. I paint every single inch of my bands, it is amazing stuff. It stays very flexible and takes a lot of abuse with no visible degradation. The problem is it is expensive and not readily available at your average hobby shop. I got a 12 color set of Angeles Leather Paints through Amazon. A small amount goes a very long way, but that set was like $30.

If you go with acrylics or nail polish, don't go with thick layers and just use a thin coat of a spray on top coat to seal your work. The thicker the layers, the quicker the cracking.
Wow...beautiful job! Could you measure the band and tell me how wide it is at the Mickey? I have a ways to go before I get my bands and I want to do a practice sketch in preparation. :thanks:

So, my husband complains that there are gray magic bands, and he really just wants a black one. So my plan is to paint it before we go.

I have painted several bands. I have only used acrylic paint and usually put on 2 or 3 thin coats before spraying the entire band with a matte acrylic sealer. We have had no issues with the paint on our bands cracking or pealing at all.

When we have used tatoos, we used nail polish to attach them to the bands. I did use acrylic sealer on these bands as well, but for some reason, it didn't hold up as well with these bands as it did the painted ones.

See posts #3983 #3997

My favorite now is leather paint. As mentioned it is the only thing that doesn't crack. But if one doesn't bend the bands a lot taking them on and off acrylic paints or nail polish work too. Acrylic sealer or else clear base nail polish is what I've used to seal. Either can work.

Wow...beautiful job! Could you measure the band and tell me how wide it is at the Mickey? I have a ways to go before I get my bands and I want to do a practice sketch in preparation. :thanks:
Thank you! The widest measurement (at the Mickey) is 1 and 1/2 inches. That includes the grey border. If you subtract the border, the measurement is 1 and 3/8 inches. Someone uploaded a template to this string a few months ago. I've attached it so you don't have to go searching for it.

Attachments

• MB2 Template.png
    MB2 Template.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 54
I have painted several bands. I have only used acrylic paint and usually put on 2 or 3 thin coats before spraying the entire band with a matte acrylic sealer. We have had no issues with the paint on our bands cracking or pealing at all.

When we have used tatoos, we used nail polish to attach them to the bands. I did use acrylic sealer on these bands as well, but for some reason, it didn't hold up as well with these bands as it did the painted ones.

See posts #3983 #3997
I did use a tattoo on my old band with one coat clear polish over it and it held up great. No under coat of anything...just put on the tattoo.

Thank you! The widest measurement (at the Mickey) is 1 and 1/2 inches. That includes the grey border. If you subtract the border, the measurement is 1 and 3/8 inches. Someone uploaded a template to this string a few months ago. I've attached it so you don't have to go searching for it.
Wow...thanks so much...perfect!

I did use a tattoo on my old band with one coat clear polish over it and it held up great. No under coat of anything...just put on the tattoo.

I've also used temp tattoos quite a bit and love them. Just apply as normal and coat with nail polish base coat or acrylic sealer.

All -

I have a family upcoming trip to Disney World in November . I'm desperately looking for a cut file that will work for cutting out vinyl covering for our magicbands that will work with a cricket machine . I'm only looking for it to use for my family trip and not looking to resell or anything like that. Does anybody have a template that they have successfully used ?? I am super desperate.

Has anyone used decals to decorate with? I want to make my husband a Patriot's mb. I found a decal with the Pat's logo but I'm not sure what I should use to adhere it? Nail polish or E6000? The decal is plastic coated. :thumbsup2

If they are decal like stickers and paper based you may cover with clear nail polish, but we had some begin to wrinkle part way through trip. If you are using vinyl decals you may have better results.

Also wanted to mention its possible to make your own Temp Tattoos using the Silhoutte tattoo paper for ink jet printers. I was able to make some for a friends magic band - of course you have to remember to REVERSE the IMAGE before you print it !!!! I only use the images for personal use so I try to find them online from similar use sites. Also just threw the tattoo paper into my printer and hand cut finished tattoos - no Silhouette machine necessary. Reversed image with Paintbrush or other similar program.

Made my own scripture verse for band this way ( Reversed until you apply it ! )

Last edited:
If they are decal like stickers and paper based you may cover with clear nail polish, but we had some begin to wrinkle part way through trip. If you are using vinyl decals you may have better results.

Also wanted to mention its possible to make your own Temp Tattoos using the Silhoutte tattoo paper for ink jet printers. I was able to make some for a friends magic band - of course you have to remember to REVERSE the IMAGE before you print it !!!! I only use the images for personal use so I try to find them online from similar use sites. Also just threw the tattoo paper into my printer and hand cut finished tattoos - no Silhouette machine necessary. Reversed image with Paintbrush or other similar program.

Made my own scripture verse for band this way ( Reversed until you apply it ! )
Never heard of Silhoutte Tattoo Paper...where did u get it?

back from my trip a week ago and the bands held up great. We didn't wear them in the pools though, so can't comment on that. We got a bunch of compliments so it was worth it.

I am using printed waterproof vinyl that I ordered from Etsy. I used the same vinyl last trip but the print wore off when I got sunscreen on it. Do you think doing a coat of clear nail polish would fix this problem?

My newest MB2:

p2558483909-3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!