Has anyone learned to sail for when you cruise?

SteveMP

DIS Veteran
hello All,

I have always had a desire to learn to sail. Like many things, time, money , and other hobbies, has kept me from taking lessons. But the last couple cruises I have seen people out on sailboats in various islands we visit. Even CC, watching people on Hobie cats while we are on a paddlebike or kayak, made me jealous. And renting a small sailboat is much cheaper than excursions. Anyone ever take sailing lessons mainly to be able to sail when they visit ports?

We started renting the Hobie Cats in CC when my son became confident in sailing. He started sailing lessons when he was 8 yrs old. He absolutely loved it. When we decided to rent a Hobie Cat the CM did ask and require that someone had sailing experience. I don't think we would have gone if my son wasn't confident yet. Even some sailing experience would make me nervous. Even though my son was still young, he had been sailing for several years and we went ahead and rented one.

We had a wonderful time. My daughter was young still but had a wonderful time as well. However, I do think it's important for people to know that you are kept in a specified area that wasn't, in my opinion, big enough to really make it seem like you're sailing. Also, my son made it quite clear that you have to always pay attention to when he says to duck down. He likes to pretty fast and, according to him, it was a perfect sailing day.

I'm not sure we would have had such a great time if no one knew how to sail or even had just a little experience. In the time we were out, we saw many hobie cats being dragged back to shore because the occupants couldn't manage it. It does look fun and it is fun as long as you know how. But it's not as easy as it looks. I think when people saw my young son doing it all on his own, some thought it was easy. But my son spent years learning and he was also at the level where he was instructing little children in the camps.

To answer your question, no we wouldn't have taken sailing lessons to be able to rent Hobie Cats. If we wanted to do it, we would have found an excursion for a catamaran as we did when we stayed in Aulani. They had two people who sailed and although it wasn't us sailing ourselves, it was also fun.

We've been lucky to have several "sailors" in my family. My grandfather had a sailboat and both he and my dad sailed regularly here in the Puget Sound in Seattle. Even though my dad is quite proficient at sailing, we've never rented a sailboat at any ports, mainly because he doesn't know the waterways and currents or the places to take us that has the best snorkeling. He also wants to "relax" and for us that means hiring a private boat and captain to take us somewhere. I've always wanted to take sailing lessons so that I could rent a sailboat and take a sailing vacation, going around various caribbean islands. But, I've come to realize that I just don't have the time. But if sailing is something you're really interested in, I'd do it for the interest, not just as a way to save money on excursions, IMHO :-)

We've been lucky to have several "sailors" in my family. My grandfather had a sailboat and both he and my dad sailed regularly here in the Puget Sound in Seattle. Even though my dad is quite proficient at sailing, we've never rented a sailboat at any ports, mainly because he doesn't know the waterways and currents or the places to take us that has the best snorkeling. He also wants to "relax" and for us that means hiring a private boat and captain to take us somewhere. I've always wanted to take sailing lessons so that I could rent a sailboat and take a sailing vacation, going around various caribbean islands. But, I've come to realize that I just don't have the time. But if sailing is something you're really interested in, I'd do it for the interest, not just as a way to save money on excursions, IMHO :-)

Yeah I would definitely take it as an interest. The bay is 30 minutes from here, and we go rent kayaks etc. but the sailboats look so fun. But its $150 for each set of lessons, and you need 3 sets of lessons to certify for hobie cats. Plus the time. I think its about 24 hours of total sailing. But then they are only $40 per hour to rent. I just think it would be fun to sail myself down on some tropical island.

I just wish I paid attention a little more when my dad and grandfather were sailing. I typically was making sure my 2 young kids weren't going overboard :P. But my parents ended up selling the sailboat when my grandfather passed away (moorage fees are astronomical). But as kids got older and life got busier, became harder to find time to take those sailing lessons. Sailing remote tropical islands is still on my bucket list though! Hopefully you'll get those lessons as I have say, $40/hr is a good deal! Even if you just get to do the hobie cats on CC with your family :boat:

I just wish I paid attention a little more when my dad and grandfather were sailing. I typically was making sure my 2 young kids weren't going overboard :P. But my parents ended up selling the sailboat when my grandfather passed away (moorage fees are astronomical). But as kids got older and life got busier, became harder to find time to take those sailing lessons. Sailing remote tropical islands is still on my bucket list though! Hopefully you'll get those lessons as I have say, $40/hr is a good deal! Even if you just get to do the hobie cats on CC with your family :boat:

Actually the rentals are cheaper than i thought. $31 for 2.5 hours. http://www.mbaquaticcenter.com/rentals/sailboat-rentals.htm
That makes a fun family day for a decent price. Its mainly the lesson price and time now. But i have until April until our next cruise.

Wow! That's a steal of a deal--I say go for it! If not, could you maybe take a sailing lesson as an excursion? I know, kinda defeats the point! But April should give you a fair amount of time to get some lessons in and your lessons and knowledge should be "permanent"! Fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter