Has Anyone received a refund for (non-package) park tickets?

tinkerhon

DIS Veteran
I understand that when you purchase the tickets, its clearly stated that they are non-refundable and/or exchangeable - (most tickets are-concerts, sporting events, fheatre)
However, given the current situation has anyone called and successfully received a refund ? ( either because Disney cancelled your dates, OR you decided not to go at this time, due to concerns over the virus and/or restrictions that are going to be in place ?)

I ask because I've had tickets for shows (Broadway , for example) that I could not attend (when the show WASN'T cancelled) that I was able to get a refund for, due to weather, illness, etc - when the virus first became prevalent, and Broadway wasn't yet shut down, I would not take mass transit, and had my money refunded -

Does Disney (other than -- "that's their policy") have a reason for only offering a credit , or allowing buyers to use the ticket for a later date? Is it a processing issue, or something else ? Getting back to Broadway, it's basically a rule that if the lead in a show, ( that is listed on the marquee) is out sick, ( or unplanned absense), the ticket holder can request a refund - kind of similar situation as the ticket buyer was expecting one experience when they purchased their tickets (in good faith) and, unfortunately, the experience would change. ( might just add that I've seen understudies that turned out to be better than the leads)

Thanks for any reply !

The only "refunds" that I've heard of so far have been situations where the guest had tickets but wanted the recovery "free dining" offer (which required a ticket purchase) - and I think the ticket refund went to a gift card which could be used towards the new reservation. Not saying a refund isn't possible but definitely not common. You can always call and politely plead your case. Your current tickets are still valid through Dec. 15, 2020, and after that date can be used as a credit towards a future visit.

The only "refunds" that I've heard of so far have been situations where the guest had tickets but wanted the recovery "free dining" offer (which required a ticket purchase) - and I think the ticket refund went to a gift card which could be used towards the new reservation. Not saying a refund isn't possible but definitely not common. You can always call and politely plead your case. Your current tickets are still valid through Dec. 15, 2020, and after that date can be used as a credit towards a future visit.

This is what happened for me. I rebooked our canceled April vacation for June (I know - probably not the best choice in retrospect :sad1: ) and wanted to take advantage of the free dining promotion. Disney allowed me to cancel my separately-purchased tickets and book the package.

Thanks much and you're right - can't hurt to call and try - unless the hold music is "Small World" on a loop !

On our trip in early march we could not stay for the after hours party and they refunded me the 4 tickets..... but they were closing in a few days

This is what happened for me. I rebooked our canceled April vacation for June (I know - probably not the best choice in retrospect :sad1: ) and wanted to take advantage of the free dining promotion. Disney allowed me to cancel my separately-purchased tickets and book the package.
We were allowed to do this too. I think it is a bit of a different environment now because they actually don’t want to incentivize too much rebooking in the next few months with anticipated cancellations and capacity limits.

Not for WDW, but we got our DL tickets refunded. Might be a different situation though because they aren't date specific tickets so they had no idea to know if we were planning to go when they were closed or not.

I saw on another forum that someone did call and get a refund on just park tickets that weren't purchased as part of a package. If the requirement to wear "an adornment that shall not be named" is not removed, then I plan to make a refund request for my park tickets because we will not attend with that requirement in place.

I really think Disney needs to revisit their policy on this for people who had reservations canceled due to COVID.

We’re DVC and booked a mid June trip in December. Three nights at Poly Bungalow and 4 nights at French Riviera. There were really no COVID concerns at the time.

Our 60 day window to schedule fast passes opened in April. In order to book fast passes, I had to purchase tickets. Obviously, Disney was closed but, at the time, a June opening seemed reasonable. So I went ahead and made the decision to buy tickets so we could plan our trip as normal.

What makes the ticket purchase particularly painful is that we allowed each of our two kids to invite a friend, so we had to purchase six tickets (6 days) which cost over $3000.

The plan was for the parents of the friends to purchase the tickets for their kids but with so much uncertainty, it was awkward to ask the parents to pay up front at the time but so I just bought the tickets and hoped for the best.

I don’t know that we will be able to get anything later this summer (If they are open) so I feel like we’re stuck with the extra tickets.

I understand and I knew there was a risk when I purchased but Disney does kind of force your hand to purchase advance tickets with the way they handle fast passes.

I would be fine if they allowed me to roll over my tickets until next year.. but if they don't allow that - do you not think they will refund?
We had a march trip scheduled right at the beginning of the outbreak, and had to reschedule to September.

I don't think flying in September looks promising, so we want to move to next year. but our tickets expire dec 31
thoughts!?

We are in the U.K. ; therefore I imagine different guidelines...
Our experience:
we purchased tickets separately and advised they were extended til September next year.
During a telephone call-I was advised we could cancel for a full refund if we wished to.
I had not read this anywhere on the wdw U.K. site.
Tickets cancelled & refund took less than a week to be processed back to credit card.

I would be fine if they allowed me to roll over my tickets until next year.. but if they don't allow that - do you not think they will refund?
Your tickets can be exchanged/upgraded to tickets for next year if you can’t use them before mid-December.

I really think Disney needs to revisit their policy on this for people who had reservations canceled due to COVID.

We’re DVC and booked a mid June trip in December. Three nights at Poly Bungalow and 4 nights at French Riviera. There were really no COVID concerns at the time.

Our 60 day window to schedule fast passes opened in April. In order to book fast passes, I had to purchase tickets. Obviously, Disney was closed but, at the time, a June opening seemed reasonable. So I went ahead and made the decision to buy tickets so we could plan our trip as normal.

What makes the ticket purchase particularly painful is that we allowed each of our two kids to invite a friend, so we had to purchase six tickets (6 days) which cost over $3000.

The plan was for the parents of the friends to purchase the tickets for their kids but with so much uncertainty, it was awkward to ask the parents to pay up front at the time but so I just bought the tickets and hoped for the best.

I don’t know that we will be able to get anything later this summer (If they are open) so I feel like we’re stuck with the extra tickets.

I understand and I knew there was a risk when I purchased but Disney does kind of force your hand to purchase advance tickets with the way they handle fast passes.

Honestly, I could have written this post ! We had the same situation ! I battled with the decision regarding buying my tickets since March ! We are booked for July 14, and had to buy my tix last week in order to book FPS - one of the things that lead me to the decision to purchase them was the dining plan perk Disney offered for guests that booked beginning June 1 - with that, I felt pretty comfortable with buying the tickets for a mid -July trip
So, here I am - $1,800 later, and at BEST, we are looking at a severely limited experience - no even sure if we would be able to fly into MCO right now (from NYC)
I understand that I can basically get a credit/voucher and use the tickets next year , but with Covid-19, no one really knows what next year (or next month) might bring, so it would make more sense for us to get a refund - and I do understand the normal policy (no refunds/exchanges), but these are not normal times we are living in.

Friend who was supposed to travel with me for my canceled early April trip got a gift card for the amount of her ticket (she had originally purchased on a credit card) when she asked about a refund.

I got a full refund for 5 adult 6-day tickets, about $2600 in total. We are DVC members so did not have a package. We had originally booked for May and moved the hotel to August before the closures even occurred then decided a few weeks ago that we weren't going to be comfortable from a public health perspective going in August, in addition to likely not being able to go back to work without a waiting period following our return. Trip was supposed to be for DS college graduation and he ended up finding a job and wouldn't even have been able to go in August. Had no idea when we would be able to get back, and one of the tickets was for DD's boyfriend so didn't know if we would be able to get 5 people together at once. CM was really nice about it, I had called figuring it was worth a try and they agreed to the refund right away and the money was credited back to our credit card within 48 hours. I was very pleasantly surprised, appreciative and impressed. These are unusual times so it never hurts to ask. As I noted when I posted about this on another thread, I was not demanding or aggressive to the CM and was prepared to take no for an answer, I didn't go in for a fight just with what I felt was a reasonable request.

yes, just did. They'll consider your specific situation. If you explain, it should be possible

I got a full refund for 5 adult 6-day tickets, about $2600 in total. We are DVC members so did not have a package. We had originally booked for May and moved the hotel to August before the closures even occurred then decided a few weeks ago that we weren't going to be comfortable from a public health perspective going in August, in addition to likely not being able to go back to work without a waiting period following our return. Trip was supposed to be for DS college graduation and he ended up finding a job and wouldn't even have been able to go in August. Had no idea when we would be able to get back, and one of the tickets was for DD's boyfriend so didn't know if we would be able to get 5 people together at once. CM was really nice about it, I had called figuring it was worth a try and they agreed to the refund right away and the money was credited back to our credit card within 48 hours. I was very pleasantly surprised, appreciative and impressed. These are unusual times so it never hurts to ask. As I noted when I posted about this on another thread, I was not demanding or aggressive to the CM and was prepared to take no for an answer, I didn't go in for a fight just with what I felt was a reasonable request.
Which number did you call?

DS and I had a May trip planned. I have an AP so I bought a 5 day tix for him from Disney and linked it to him. When the FD offer came out I canceled our trip and booked a late September FD trip but forgot about DS's tix. I called back a couple days later and asked for a refund. It took a few weeks but I did get an email with a gift card number. I took the number and transferred the amount to the original gift card I used to buy the tix.

I had tickets for 10 that I purchased to use with a DVC rental at the end of March. I rescheduled for November. They refunded all of my tickets over the phone so that I could buy a package. They were very nice about it. I just called the main number.

Which number did you call?
Just whatever the general 800 number is. I didn't have the confirmation number for my ticket purchase so I was transferred to someone I believe they may have said in ticket sales and she found it for me and then was the one who gave the refund. She was extremely nice and helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!