Has anyWine seen my Poutine? A friendly January 2020 dining report * The Plaza Part 2 4/24**

I’m going to try the magic bars, minus coconut and nuts because I don’t have either in the house!
Let me know how they turn out! I honestly tasted no difference w/o the nuts. I think the coconut will make a difference but my friend hates coconut, made it without and said they were delicious :)
That day was freezing, my day ended by 2pm as far as outside activities go!
LOL that's about when we had to go back for ME but I don't think we would have lasted much longer!
Thanks for posting the recipes for Magic Bars. I wouldn't have guessed that they use butterscotch chips. It looks like the first recipe should be two sticks of butter, not two cups. Just about every cookie recipe calls for two sticks (1 cup) of butter, and that is what would make sense to me. :)
You're welcome! I had this feeling butterscotch was in there, just wasn't sure about the nuts. The butter in the first recipe is crazy! And yes 1/3 cup was better but I think the 1 cup would be perfect. I'm sure I'll be making them a 3rd time so I'll give 1 cup a try!
I hate when Disney changes their menus. I was disappointed when Geyser Point took the salmon sandwich off the menu. It was so good.
Ugh I know, I need to learn to look at menus RIGHT before we go......
Thanks to these boards I’m gathering a new supply of recipes to try out. Thanks for posting your recipes. Nice to have a little magic at home 😊
My co-worker is gathering tons and giving them to us to post on our business pages! So far I've only tried the bars and the avocado marg which came out horrible but I think Jenny had better luck; I'll post a few more recipes here!

Let me know how they turn out! I honestly tasted no difference w/o the nuts. I think the coconut will make a difference but my friend hates coconut, made it without and said they were delicious :)
The bars came really good! I had to change the recipe a fair amount lol! I used ritz crackers crushed with the butter for my bottom and no coconut. I really like coconut so missed this some, however these are really good. The ritz crust is really good adds a little saltiness!
IMG_Apr212020at61557AM.jpg

I don't bake at all but if I did, I would definitely try to make those bars! Yours look delicious.

I'm sad that they took the fried green tomato sandwich off the Plaza menu. I love fried green tomatoes, and like you, don't find them locally lol. But that sangria sounds delicious!

We did it again today because Steve actually found hand sanitizer for her! But this time she came to us to get out of her house and take a ride. She did stand about a foot closer to the doorway than she did the last time which was nice but I really just want to hug her :hug: Chris even left his room sans shirt to say hello to her lol
I know it! It's so sad! You just want to reach out and hug :guilty: But hey, at least it got Chris out of his room to say hi :laughing:

Also since I am relatively new to the flourless life thank you for pointing out that it doesn't count as real dessert!! Learn something new every day :cool1:
You're welcome! :rotfl:

There is no mention of a fried green tomato sandwich anywhere on this menu!

This is devastating news!!! :sad:

The bars came really good! I had to change the recipe a fair amount lol! I used ritz crackers crushed with the butter for my bottom and no coconut. I really like coconut so missed this some, however these are really good. The ritz crust is really good adds a little saltiness!
Whoa they look great! Love the idea of using ritz crackers it sound like it would be delicious! Thanks for sharing :)
I'm sad that they took the fried green tomato sandwich off the Plaza menu. I love fried green tomatoes, and like you, don't find them locally lol. But that sangria sounds delicious!
I'd be surprised if there was any NY restaurant with fried green tomatoes on the menu :( Steve looked online for the Plaza sangria recipe today and he found it but some of the ingredients seem weird? If we figure it out I'll post it!
I know it! It's so sad! You just want to reach out and hug :guilty: But hey, at least it got Chris out of his room to say hi :laughing:
He actually came out to play UNO with Ricky and I once too!
ONCE

I'm finally ready to do my last January trip post 😭 I purposely put it off when I come on the DIS and try focusing on just keeping up on everyone else's reports! My fingers are still crossed that I'll be able to do at least a June dining report in a few months 🤞I did a little more "baking" if you can call it that; not a Disney recipe and not really any baking involved and it's really pretty easy - like snacking for dummies. Behold my glorious (OREO) balls:

I used to make these all the time for the kids school events and the teachers would look for for the "DeVizio Balls" at class parties and during Teacher Appreciation Week 🤣 I'd been doing really well walking the neighborhood until about 4 days ago when the rain started and unfortunately it hasn't stopped. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice, followed by another 4 days of rain. We at least need it to be nice out, c'mon!

LET ME RETURN YOU TO THE PLAZA.....JANUARY 22 2020....BOY WOULD I LOVE TO GO BACK THERE RIGHT NOW !

The yummy tomato soup took away a bit of my fried green tomato disappointment. I did have trouble figuring out what entree I wanted though since it was gone as nothing really stood out to me. I wasn't in the mood for a burger or sandwich and I don't like meatloaf, so I went with something I occasionally order for takeout at home and never get on vacation:

Cheese Steak Sandwich
Shaved Beef, Peppers, Onions, and Provolone Cheese

This unfortunately was not good. It wasn't horrible but nothing to be excited about and I sadly did not enjoy it. The fries were nice and crispy and I liked them, and I ate part of the sandwich but not much. Therefore if the FGT sandwich isn't back when we go in July I'll be trying something else.

Steve didn't get an app and his entree was this:

Home-style Meatloaf
Hearty Slices of Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, and Seasonal Vegetables

He got this because he's had it before and loves it. On this frigid day he said it really hit the spot and the mashed potatoes are super creamy. Unlike me he does it the veggies!

See??

And that concluded our time in the parks
:( We boated back to the WL after a quick stop at the Confectionary. It's harder and harder to bring stuff back for the boys but they do still like getting something, I usually always bring a few rice krispie treats and didn't want to this time. In Dec. I brought them candy apples along with the treats and they love those so I grabbed two:

Ricky's favorite character is Sorcerer Mickey. I wanted one that fit Chris better but there weren't many choices so got this for both. While in there I grabbed an airport snack for myself:

Once back at the Lodge we had one more thing that needed to come home with us! They all made it back safely and were transferred to sandwich bags asap to preserve their delicious freshness for as long as possible:

Being we're a family of 4 you may think this was 1 for each of us but alas, I had one
Chris had three. Suffice it to say that for all his whining when we go to Disney he sure seems to be a fan of the food!

We did eat dinner at the airport because the whole going home thing was a fiasco. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6 so we got to MCO at 3:45. As soon as we got there our flight was delayed until 8:30
:charac2:then it was delayed until 10, and then 11:30. At that point we were going to just get a room and tell them they needed to put us on the first morning flight as we wouldn't get in to NY until 2am and home until 3 - when all of a sudden the departure got pushed backup to 8:30 :sad2: We were glad but so frustrated! Anyway when we heard about the first delay we figured we'd have as nice a dinner as one can at MCO.

Caesar salad for two and a plain old cheese pizza. The salad was surprisingly really good! Dressing was tasty and the salad wasn't drowning in it. The pizza was ok, good enough that I'd eat it again if I had to and tons and tons better than the BW pizza at Disney which, if you weren't following my dining report way back, is 🤮🤮🤢🤢🤮🤮🤢🤢

Well I've dragged this post on as long as I can, so I have to let you all go. I still have my July PTR going and it's pretty fun! I wish all of you and your family's safe days and good health and I hope to be back asap with another DISNEY dining report! Thank you all for reliving this trip with me 😘

I'm finally ready to do my last January trip post 😭 I purposely put it off when I come on the DIS and try focusing on just keeping up on everyone else's reports! My fingers are still crossed that I'll be able to do at least a June dining report in a few months 🤞I did a little more "baking" if you can call it that; not a Disney recipe and not really any baking involved and it's really pretty easy - like snacking for dummies. Behold my glorious (OREO) balls:

View attachment 490546

I used to make these all the time for the kids school events and the teachers would look for for the "DeVizio Balls" at class parties and during Teacher Appreciation Week 🤣 I'd been doing really well walking the neighborhood until about 4 days ago when the rain started and unfortunately it hasn't stopped. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice, followed by another 4 days of rain. We at least need it to be nice out, c'mon!

LET ME RETURN YOU TO THE PLAZA.....JANUARY 22 2020....BOY WOULD I LOVE TO GO BACK THERE RIGHT NOW !

The yummy tomato soup took away a bit of my fried green tomato disappointment. I did have trouble figuring out what entree I wanted though since it was gone as nothing really stood out to me. I wasn't in the mood for a burger or sandwich and I don't like meatloaf, so I went with something I occasionally order for takeout at home and never get on vacation:

Cheese Steak Sandwich
Shaved Beef, Peppers, Onions, and Provolone Cheese

View attachment 490517

This unfortunately was not good. It wasn't horrible but nothing to be excited about and I sadly did not enjoy it. The fries were nice and crispy and I liked them, and I ate part of the sandwich but not much. Therefore if the FGT sandwich isn't back when we go in July I'll be trying something else.

Steve didn't get an app and his entree was this:

Home-style Meatloaf
Hearty Slices of Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, and Seasonal Vegetables

View attachment 490518

He got this because he's had it before and loves it. On this frigid day he said it really hit the spot and the mashed potatoes are super creamy. Unlike me he does it the veggies!

View attachment 490519

See??

And that concluded our time in the parks
:( We boated back to the WL after a quick stop at the Confectionary. It's harder and harder to bring stuff back for the boys but they do still like getting something, I usually always bring a few rice krispie treats and didn't want to this time. In Dec. I brought them candy apples along with the treats and they love those so I grabbed two:

View attachment 490520

Ricky's favorite character is Sorcerer Mickey. I wanted one that fit Chris better but there weren't many choices so got this for both. While in there I grabbed an airport snack for myself:

View attachment 490521

Once back at the Lodge we had one more thing that needed to come home with us! They all made it back safely and were transferred to sandwich bags asap to preserve their delicious freshness for as long as possible:

View attachment 490522

Being we're a family of 4 you may think this was 1 for each of us but alas, I had one
Chris had three. Suffice it to say that for all his whining when we go to Disney he sure seems to be a fan of the food!

We did eat dinner at the airport because the whole going home thing was a fiasco. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6 so we got to MCO at 3:45. As soon as we got there our flight was delayed until 8:30
:charac2:then it was delayed until 10, and then 11:30. At that point we were going to just get a room and tell them they needed to put us on the first morning flight as we wouldn't get in to NY until 2am and home until 3 - when all of a sudden the departure got pushed backup to 8:30 :sad2: We were glad but so frustrated! Anyway when we heard about the first delay we figured we'd have as nice a dinner as one can at MCO.

View attachment 490524

View attachment 490525

Caesar salad for two and a plain old cheese pizza. The salad was surprisingly really good! Dressing was tasty and the salad wasn't drowning in it. The pizza was ok, good enough that I'd eat it again if I had to and tons and tons better than the BW pizza at Disney which, if you weren't following my dining report way back, is 🤮🤮🤢🤢🤮🤮🤢🤢

Well I've dragged this post on as long as I can, so I have to let you all go. I still have my July PTR going and it's pretty fun! I wish all of you and your family's safe days and good health and I hope to be back asap with another DISNEY dining report! Thank you all for reliving this trip with me 😘
I hope and pray that this health fiasco is over and done for you to be able to enjoy your June trip. I've enjoyed every minute of your reports. Keep them coming!

Loved your report. I always love reading about your food journeys cause we often have similar tastes - to the point where I ordered the exact same app and entree as you at the plaza :rotfl2:. Felt the same about the cheesesteak it was very disappointing. Thanks so much for letting us follow your trip and hope you’re on another one as soon as things blow over! All the best xx

I used to make these all the time for the kids school events and the teachers would look for for the "DeVizio Balls" at class parties and during Teacher Appreciation Week 🤣
With Steve and four boys I'm sure they had no problem finding them :rotfl2:

I'd been doing really well walking the neighborhood until about 4 days ago when the rain started and unfortunately it hasn't stopped. Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice, followed by another 4 days of rain.
Ugh, we've had the same thing here for the last few days but the sun is out today. Hope it is for you too. Bring on the sunshine!

Our flight was supposed to leave at 6 so we got to MCO at 3:45. As soon as we got there our flight was delayed until 8:30 :charac2:then it was delayed until 10, and then 11:30.
Hate this, especially when you are already at the airport. But better to be delayed in getting home then getting there

We had to make some changes to our September trip, and while adding a day on the front end since we need to fly home earlier than planned we noticed that WL had dropped in price a bit. Nothing so huge it was a deciding factor ($15), but we figured proximity to MK with a toddler was probably smarter than AKL this time around. I love AKL so much so I’m a little sad. But I have to say, finally getting to try a Magic Bar is a pretty good bonus.

I’m tempted to try out a recipe because they look so good, but I feel like I need to try the real thing first so I get the full experience.

This unfortunately was not good. It wasn't horrible but nothing to be excited about and I sadly did not enjoy it
They put red peppers in the sandwich and that is never good. ;) I hate red peppers.
We did eat dinner at the airport because the whole going home thing was a fiasco. Our flight was supposed to leave at 6 so we got to MCO at 3:45. As soon as we got there our flight was delayed until 8:30 :charac2:then it was delayed until 10, and then 11:30. At that point we were going to just get a room and tell them they needed to put us on the first morning flight as we wouldn't get in to NY until 2am and home until 3 - when all of a sudden the departure got pushed backup to 8:30 :sad2: We were glad but so frustrated! Anyway when we heard about the first delay we figured we'd have as nice a dinner as one can at MCO.
We have had our flight delayed and then they suddenly announce that it is no longer delayed. People have to scramble to get back to the gate because suddenly the flight is going to board in a few minutes. It seems like MCO is the only airport where where they announce a delay and then they change their minds.

Oh no, it's over! Have enjoyed reading along, as always, and even more so with needing a happy distraction amidst all of this craziness. I hope your next trip goes ahead as planned and we'll be able to read all about it in a few months! :)

Yum...love that you made the magic bars and sounds like they hit the spot. I love finding copycat Disney recipes to try out. I'm very tempted to try the churro recipe soon, even though I'm not a huge churro fan.

LOVE the Plaza...it's become a favorite of mine over the years. Sad that they didn't have the fried green tomato for you. I have not tried the sangria there but it sounds like I'll need to add that to my list for my next trip now!

I'm so sad that your report is over :( :(

I feel like our flights home are always delayed! It's frustrating enough to have to leave Disney but even more annoying when you don't know when you get to leave the airport!

it's really pretty easy - like snacking for dummies. Behold my glorious (OREO) balls:

Yum! Allie would love those 😋

And that concluded our time in the parks :(

:sad::sad::sad:

Chris had three.

I would have thought you had three and let them all share the last one!

We did eat dinner at the airport because the whole going home thing was a fiasco.

Oh, no! I hate air delays. Once the time comes to go home, I just want to get there. So stressful. I'm glad it ended up working out!

I’ve loved virtual visiting through your DR. Re the magic cookie bars, I had a similar “too sweet” problem with my husband’s favorite coconut pecan bars (FYI crust here is good and not very sweet). The key was to use unsweetened coconut! Bit harder to find but stores like sprouts or Whole Foods have them in the bulk bins and not priced too bad. Worth a go! https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/coconut-pecan-bars/1f6d9950-4d6c-43d5-9ea2-e4b250fc0e5c

This unfortunately was not good. It wasn't horrible but nothing to be excited about and I sadly did not enjoy it. The fries were nice and crispy and I liked them, and I ate part of the sandwich but not much.
I have to agree with you. In fact, last time we were there, I actually ordered this, too. There was way too much bread, so I ended up eating everything out of the inside like an open-faced sandwich and left the gigantic hunk of bread on the plate. Definitely not as satisfying.

Sad to come to the end of this trip, but glad you have the PTR going :)

Thanks for taking us along on your foodie adventures I’m so glad you have a ptr up and running to keep me happily distracted from real life right now. Those are some tasty looking balls by the way! Maybe you’re a better cook than you give yourself credit for! Hoping your trips work out. Stay safe and keep well:goodvibes

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!