Has or is there been a Comerical you hate so bad

Cutting the cord is a brave new world of non skippable commercials.

I have watched way more commercials since cutting the cord and switching to YouTubeTV. To keep the price low deals were worked out with the networks that if you watch a recorded show during the period where the network offers an on demand version, you are presented with the on demand version with unskipable commercials. For shows I watch on CBS this means I have to watch the show within 24 hours of it recording or wait 2+ weeks or I get the on demand version. The other networks are not as aggressive with forcing the on demand version.

But I am saving in excess of $100 a month and have been for 2 years. I'll sit through a few commercials to save $1200 a year.
I can't comment on all that. I've never heard of YouTubeTV and apparently what's available here works differently. My DVR allows me to ffw or rewind programs at will. My cable service archives on-demand versions of most shows and plays them without commercials although the shows are broken up by fairly frequent promotions and previews of other shows on the network. We stream through Netflix, Amazon Prime and the Canadian version of Hulu (called Crave). None of them have commercials. We could definitely economize as there's a fair bit of cross-over between all these platforms but figuring it out is not a super-high priority right now.

I can't comment on all that. I've never heard of YouTubeTV and apparently what's available here works differently. My DVR allows me to ffw or rewind programs at will. My cable service archives on-demand versions of most shows and plays them without commercials although the shows are broken up by fairly frequent promotions and previews of other shows on the network. We stream through Netflix, Amazon Prime and the Canadian version of Hulu (called Crave). None of them have commercials. We could definitely economize as there's a fair bit of cross-over between all these platforms but figuring it out is not a super-high priority right now.
Traditional DVRs work the same in Canada and the US. On demand from cable companies works the same. Streaming works the same as well.

What I described is how a competitor to Hulu(which forces commercials), Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, etc works.

People are either going to watch more forced commercials for a cheaper monthly rate(YouTubeTV) or pay higher monthly prices to minimize commercials(Hulu's model).

Edited to add:
This page https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv-streaming-services-for-cord-cutters/ has a good chart showing what I was talking about. Hulu charges an extra $15 to skip commercials and YouTubeTV swaps in on demand versions with forced commercials on some networks.

Last edited:
Traditional DVRs work the same in Canada and the US. On demand from cable companies works the same. Streaming works the same as well.

What I described is how a competitor to Hulu(which forces commercials), Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, etc works.

People are either going to watch more forced commercials for a cheaper monthly rate(YouTubeTV) or pay higher monthly prices to minimize commercials(Hulu's model).

Edited to add:
This page https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv-streaming-services-for-cord-cutters/ has a good chart showing what I was talking about. Hulu charges an extra $15 to skip commercials and YouTubeTV swaps in on demand versions with forced commercials on some networks.
:confused: Honestly, you've lost me. All I know for sure is that my cable company's on-demand service DOES NOT have commercials in the shows and neither does Crave, Prime or Netflix. Crave also DOES NOT have a two-tiered price scheme. I'll take your word for the economy of doing so, but at this point cord-cutting isn't something we plan to pursue. :happytv:

Edited to add:
Prime time shows On Demand don't usually allow us to fast forward but they don't always have as long or as many commercials as if they are shown in real time. We DVR everything we watch regularly but every so often you'll have things mess it up like impromptu political speeches, weather alerts, extreme breaking news, award shows going over, etc.

My husband does have CBS All-Access because of the Star Trek show (and now we're catching up on past Survivor seasons not available on Amazon Prime) but my husband doesn't pay for the commercial-free version.....it's quite annoying honestly to see the SAME EXACT CHANTIX commercial with Ray Liotta and whatnot. We just mute the TV for the commercials. But yes it saves money there..$48 per year vs the commercial free option.

We do watch live tv from time to time though when we're not in the mood to watch a recorded show, a movie on the premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc), or something on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

I actually liked the Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercials in the very beginning but they've gotten annoying over time. Some of the Sonic commercials are funny IMO but most aren't. I don't know if I have a commercial I hate but the Progressive ones with Flo are years beyond their usefullness IMO.

there was one years ago when vhs players were popular-it showed a young kid putting a sandwich inside one. HATED IT-don't go giving little kids ideas on how to destroy stuff:mad:

we get a variation on the same commercial every year when there's a local boat and watercraft show-the jingle drives me mad (dh and ds know it's boat show time if they hear me constantly muting the tv when watching the morning news).

Prime time shows On Demand don't usually allow us to fast forward but they don't always have as long or as many commercials as if they are shown in real time. We DVR everything we watch regularly but every so often you'll have things mess it up like impromptu political speeches, weather alerts, extreme breaking news, award shows going over, etc.

My husband does have CBS All-Access because of the Star Trek show (and now we're catching up on past Survivor seasons not available on Amazon Prime) but my husband doesn't pay for the commercial-free version.....it's quite annoying honestly to see the SAME EXACT CHANTIX commercial with Ray Liotta and whatnot. We just mute the TV for the commercials. But yes it saves money there..$48 per year vs the commercial free option.

We do watch live tv from time to time though when we're not in the mood to watch a recorded show, a movie on the premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc), or something on Amazon Prime or Netflix.
Curious - do the American versions of HBO and Starz (marketed as SuperChannel here) run commercials? Here I think they don't but I'd have to watch something while it's being broadcast to know for sure. We DVR everything or use on demand for them too.

Curious - do the American versions of HBO and Starz (marketed as SuperChannel here) run commercials? Here I think they don't but I'd have to watch something while it's being broadcast to know for sure. We DVR everything or use on demand for them too.
No they don't have commercials during the program itself. They'll have commercials after the fact but it's promotional stuff for their own channels to my recollection unless you're watching it On Demand in which case it's usually before the actual show for the promotional stuff. You also can fast forward if you're watching something On Demand. We watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver last night On Demand from last week's episode (which we can also watch on the app version HBO Go) and we fast forwarded the beginning promotional stuff for HBO channel.

It puts you in a bad mood ?

Mine is the current Walgreen Commercial of the women boxing , n fact I hate it so bad I emailed Walgreens and begged them to take it off the air

Just saw that one and it made me curious. Is there a particular reason you hate it enough to have that reaction?

Just curious because you don’t seem the type to normally have such a strong reaction.

:confused: Honestly, you've lost me. All I know for sure is that my cable company's on-demand service DOES NOT have commercials in the shows and neither does Crave, Prime or Netflix. Crave also DOES NOT have a two-tiered price scheme. I'll take your word for the economy of doing so, but at this point cord-cutting isn't something we plan to pursue. :happytv:
It is the difference between streaming services that include live TV and those that don’t.

Those that don’t have live tv do not have commercials.

Those that do have commercials and various ways you may or may not be able to not view them.

It is the difference between streaming services that include live TV and those that don’t.

Those that don’t have live tv do not have commercials.

Those that do have commercials and various ways you may or may not be able to not view them.
That makes it clearer. Live streaming is available on-line for many of the broadcast networks in our cable package but I've never once used that service.

I can't stand the Doritos commercial with the "rapper" and some boy band, with cars painted horrible colors. I'm sure the kids like it though...

The Humane Society commercials with the terrified, freezing dogs and cats. Don't try and guilt me into giving. You did guilt me into writing a check to the SPCA though.

And the St. Jude's ads where they will give you "an adorable blanket" if you donate seem to dominate all the programming I watch comes in a close second.

But we tend to watch mostly live TV. I guess if we DVRed more stuff we could fast forward through the ads. But that would be biting the hand that feeds me, my wife and my daughter.

They don’t really put me in a bad mood, but whenever the Fuccillo car guy (local to Floridians and Upstate New Yorkers) comes on the radio or TV, I will change the channel or mute the volume. He just seems so sleazy to me. I just don’t want to see or hear him.

Last edited:
all the prescription medication commercials....but I remember when that little blue pill was advertised, I'm like, really, they need to advertise that?

It puts you in a bad mood ?

Mine is the current Walgreen Commercial of the women boxing , n fact I hate it so bad I emailed Walgreens and begged them to take it off the air

The HIIIIIIIIII/BYEEEEEEEEEEE Cricket wireless commercial. Or... Any of those stupid commercials.

The Mcdonald's Commercial with the obnoxious children scream-singing "The Middle" in the backseat. (My mother would not have EVER allowed that crap to happen in her vehicle... That's a distraction, a safety hazard, and an annoyance.)

I usually tune them out, but some of them are so annoying they draw your focus. I try to hit mute but I hate not being fast enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter