Has Universals AAP become difficult to obtain

Lachelli

Earning My Ears
Hello

From reading some of the different threads it seems that some people are finding it difficult to obtain an AAP pass when visiting UO

When we visited in 2016 we didn't experience any difficulties and once we told them our child had ASD they gave us the pass without any further questions.

We are heading back to Universal this year and I am no concerned that they are making it more difficult to obtain the pass. MY sons ASD is not noticeable at first but becomes very effident when we enter lines and as the day goes on and crowds increase.

I hope someone with recent experience of applying for the AAP can let me know if it's the same process as I experienced back in 2016 and that I am stressing over nothing

Thanks

My daughters were denied the aap when we went a year ago. Both have numerous medical problems and my oldest has autism. My oldest looks healthy physically and you wouldn' know she' autistic unless you spend time with her. I was prepared to discuss their needs but the cm really didn' seem to be paying attention, she decided early on in the conversation we didnt need the aap and seemed annoyed when i persisted.I kind of think she dismissed our needs because my daughter looks so good, i donr think she belueved me.Hopefully they will be more considerate when you go, but I would have a backup plan in case you get denied.

We were at the parks this week and didn’t have any issue getting the pass for our son. We’ve been getting it for over three years so I don’t know if maybe they track it and that makes it easier.
We always have a letter from his neurologist handy and it says that he has diagnosed ASD and anxiety. (Also, if you watch him for two minutes it’s pretty obvious that he can’t stand still.)
The guest assistance employees have always been very professional and courteous to us and we are happy to answer their questions.

Can I ask what a pass at Universal does? I'm used to the old guest services pass at WDW (which they no longer have...) and this will be our first trip taking DS to Universal Studios Orlando (and IOA). He has ASD, Anxiety and OCD. Add that to teenager hormones, long lines and August heat and I'm expecting breakdowns....

IMO Universal has a pretty good system. The pass gets you a return time if the wait is longer than 30 mins and if it’s 30 or less you go right into the Express line.

**If you’re staying on property at Portofino, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific you get free Express passes and won’t really need the assistance pass.

Just thinking about the Universal assistance pass and I remembered that the time we were there in Dec. they were really checking passes to make sure people weren’t using them to access Express lines while having another return time. They said that some people had been trying to do that when we asked why they were making us take it out of the lanyard for a line that didn’t require a return.
If there have been people abusing the system like that it may be why they’re being more strict with passes.

Interesting, it sounds like theirs works a little differently than Universal Studios Hollywood, there they let you on the ride right away, but they scan your pass when you get in line, then it isn't valid for the next attraction for whatever the length of the standby line was when you got in line. So say you got in line for a ride at 11:00 and it had an hour wait, you couldn't go on the next ride until noon. Seems like a reasonable way to handle it, although return times work as well, but the Hollywood system prevents the issue that the previous poster describes.

Interesting, it sounds like theirs works a little differently than Universal Studios Hollywood, there they let you on the ride right away, but they scan your pass when you get in line, then it isn't valid for the next attraction for whatever the length of the standby line was when you got in line. So say you got in line for a ride at 11:00 and it had an hour wait, you couldn't go on the next ride until noon. Seems like a reasonable way to handle it, although return times work as well, but the Hollywood system prevents the issue that the previous poster describes.

It’s very interesting to hear your experience! When I went to the Hollywood park this past October, that was not how they were operating the AAP on that day. We would just get waved through, and most of the employees really didn’t care in the sense that they took one glance and just waved us through. However, while we were there, I don’t think there was a single line more than 30-40 min. It sounds like there is a lot of variability in how they operate and enforce the pass. I really don’t like that park though, so I doubt I’ll ever go back to see how it usually operates.

It’s very interesting to hear your experience! When I went to the Hollywood park this past October, that was not how they were operating the AAP on that day. We would just get waved through, and most of the employees really didn’t care in the sense that they took one glance and just waved us through. However, while we were there, I don’t think there was a single line more than 30-40 min. It sounds like there is a lot of variability in how they operate and enforce the pass. I really don’t like that park though, so I doubt I’ll ever go back to see how it usually operates.
Yeah, usually if the line is less than a certain length they don't bother.

We were at the parks this week and didn’t have any issue getting the pass for our son. We’ve been getting it for over three years so I don’t know if maybe they track it and that makes it easier.
We always have a letter from his neurologist handy and it says that he has diagnosed ASD and anxiety. (Also, if you watch him for two minutes it’s pretty obvious that he can’t stand still.)
The guest assistance employees have always been very professional and courteous to us and we are happy to answer their questions.

I know at WDW they won't consider a doctor's note (because doctors may try to play god and write some nonsense about immediate access, etc, trying to have the power to tell WDW what to do). Also, the diagnosis really doesn't mean much - it's the need. I took a student with ASD and anxiety to a theme park and he did fine in the standby queues all day. He didn't need a pass because he didn't have issues with the queues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter