HATING SWA right now!!!!!!

Tormania

DIS Veteran
I was already checked in for my flight from San Antonio for tomorrow morning when I get a txt about an hour ago that my flight has been CANCELLED!!!! WHY?!?!?! The weather here is all cleared out, the weather in Orlando tomorrow is thunderstorms and rain in the morning but it clears out by 10am and my flight was NONSTOP and arriving at 11:35am. I am LIVID!!!!! My rescheduled flight doesn't get in until 3:10pm, we are losing an ENTIRE DAY at AK cause of this.

If there was bad weather, ice, etc....I could understand but I can't for the life of me figure out why they have cancelled the flight, even though the rep on the phone said it was cause of Winter Storm Benji. The REAL kicker is there is a nonstop flight out of Austin, TX tomorrow that arrives at 10am and THAT flight is NOT CANCELLED....I don't get it! And I was not allowed to change to that flight since it was a different departing airport.

UGH!!!!!!! Losing FP+ at Dinosaur and Kilaminjaro Safaris (unless by some miracle we can get there before the 5:40pm cutoff), hopefully can get to AK in time for our 5:55pm FP for Na'vi River Journey.

Sometimes the weather at the airport your plane is supposed to come from messing things up. There's not always a plane parked overnight for your flight.

Bill From PA

That could be a viable reason, just frustrated all the same.

The REAL kicker is there is a nonstop flight out of Austin, TX tomorrow that arrives at 10am and THAT flight is NOT CANCELLED....I don't get it! And I was not allowed to change to that flight since it was a different departing airport.
??? That's crazy. San Antonio is only an hour's drive from Austin and I would totally take that flight rather than lose a day of my trip. Call back and escalate this until you get that flight.

I know this doesn't really help with the frustration of a cancelled flight, but your SAT-MCO plane is (or was) coming from Baltimore. The plane for the AUS-MCO flight is coming from Phoenix. Baltimore is one of 14 cities that the SW site identifies as potentially impacted by the storm (pretty much all SW cities from DC north along the eastern seaboard).

This is a case of weather issues in one part of the country affecting flights elsewhere, due to the way planes crisscross the country. You could definitely change to the AUS flight, but since it is a different airport, you'd have to pay the difference in fare. SW has met their obligation by rebooking you on another flight tomorrow. It wouldn't hurt to call back though and ask again. You might get a more sympathetic agent.

Steve

I was already checked in for my flight from San Antonio for tomorrow morning when I get a txt about an hour ago that my flight has been CANCELLED!!!! WHY?!?!?! The weather here is all cleared out, the weather in Orlando tomorrow is thunderstorms and rain in the morning but it clears out by 10am and my flight was NONSTOP and arriving at 11:35am. I am LIVID!!!!! My rescheduled flight doesn't get in until 3:10pm, we are losing an ENTIRE DAY at AK cause of this.

If there was bad weather, ice, etc....I could understand but I can't for the life of me figure out why they have cancelled the flight, even though the rep on the phone said it was cause of Winter Storm Benji. The REAL kicker is there is a nonstop flight out of Austin, TX tomorrow that arrives at 10am and THAT flight is NOT CANCELLED....I don't get it! And I was not allowed to change to that flight since it was a different departing airport.

UGH!!!!!!! Losing FP+ at Dinosaur and Kilaminjaro Safaris (unless by some miracle we can get there before the 5:40pm cutoff), hopefully can get to AK in time for our 5:55pm FP for Na'vi River Journey.
Have you checked out where your flight is coming from? Is it originating in San Antonio or elsewhere?

For example my husband would often take a 9pm flight from BWI to KC when he was coming home (he was on field assignement in sounthern Maryland). I was able to see that first the plane would go from TX (I can't remember exactly where), then it would fly to Charlotte, NC, then it would fly to Baltimore (where it would pick up my husband) and then it would fly as a final stop to KCI. Any delay could occur due to weather or mechanical issues either in TX or NC. You're in San Antonio--you know the south is getting snow..like record snow for them and I saw on the news the concern is overnight freeze. If your plane is coming from the south or has stops in the south before coming to Orlando that could be why it was cancelled already. Usually it's a chain reaction issue or a preemptive move.

Just because there is a non-stop from Austin doesn't mean San Antonio isn't experiencing plane issues--again could be a chain reaction or preemptive move.

FWIW totally understand how frustrating that would be to lose the FP and arrive later than you were supposed to.

sort of OT but I'm also watching tomorrow's weather closely....(ugh) SO far our flight is still on, and it's supposed to arrive from Tampa tonight after midnight,sit on tarmac,and fly out at 7 am,which is supposed to be before any snow arrives (hope hope) i'm guessing if it gets canceled they'll let me know(?) SWA page says it's still a go (watching on flightaware)

sort of OT but I'm also watching tomorrow's weather closely....(ugh) SO far our flight is still on, and it's supposed to arrive from Tampa tonight after midnight,sit on tarmac,and fly out at 7 am,which is supposed to be before any snow arrives (hope hope) i'm guessing if it gets canceled they'll let me know(?) SWA page says it's still a go (watching on flightaware)
I honestly don't know if they automatically notify you of a cancellation but I usually sign up for flight notifications for my specified flight--they can e-mail or text you if for instance your flight is delayed, etc.

I've been texted by them about delays, so I assume they'd do the same for cancellations.

I’m flying from PHX to AUS right now. Delays would have caused a mis-connect, so I’ve been looking for alternatives along the route. I’ll land 10 minutes earlier than originally scheduled. If you keep a level head, dig through the schedule, and ask nicely at each gate, you can typically make you’re way to your destination without much delay.

know it does help you but years ago my daughters baton group flight home from Orlando was canceled because of snow. the plane could not get out of Detroit because of snow so there was no plane arriving at Orlando to take them to Baltimore. a lot tougher to rebook 34 people esp after a bowl game.

Cancelled flights are a part of life on every airline. No use getting all upset over something you can’t control.
Yeah but your odds of being affected are very small. I think they are perfectly within their rights to be upset and vent...

There are many things that are "part of life" and not in our control - and it's still ok to be upset about them.

How can you tell where a plane is before your flight?
You can look it up on SWA's website. I actually think I found the OP's flight too.

So where you would go on SWA's website is flight status (there are several ways to see that).

Once you are there you'll see one of these screens (depending on which link for Flight Status you selected):
upload_2017-12-9_8-41-56.png
upload_2017-12-9_8-42-29.png
Enter in the data and select 'Search'
You should then see something similar to this:
upload_2017-12-9_8-43-23.png
Select 'View flight status' and you'll see this (flight #2857 appears to be the OP's flight):
upload_2017-12-9_8-44-29.png
If you select the flight number itself it will open up this:
upload_2017-12-9_8-45-12.png
If you know the flight number you can skip a few steps and just search by flight number instead of inputting the airports of departure and arrival.

So it looks like the OP's flight originates in San Antonio. There are delays (like stops in Nashville) from both San Antonio and Austin airports in the late morning. To me it looks like they have a plane that they will plan to use in Orlando to get to Las Vegas instead of using the plane that was supposed to come from San Antonio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter