Have they given up on DINKS?

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
It wasn't very long ago that it was easy to feel like Disney wanted me - and people like me, adult couples with two incomes but no kids, at least not yet - to come and visit. What a wonderful place for a honeymoon, they beckoned. They showcased nightlife at Pleasure Island and the Boardwalk. Think of the image of the saxophone player in the spotlights that formed a Mickey. They pointed out the world beyond the parks, with horse back riding, golf, parasailing. Treat yourself to the luxury of a day at the spa, they invited. Go on an adult tour behinds the scenes. They offered courses on things like cooking and gardening at the institute. They waved the promise of fine dining at the california grill and artist point under my nose. Are you thinking of proposing to your beloved? We can take care of that, too, they offered. And they subliminally challenged me to have a beer in every country in world showcase, because like a mountain, it was there. The communication was clear - Disney isn't just for kids. Walt wanted his park to be a place for everyone. And they wanted our child-free money.

But I feel like things may have changed. Was it the opening of places like IOA and the hard rock hotel? Has Disney given up even trying to market to dinks?

It is subtle, maybe I'm being paranoid. Two years ago the marketing switched. It wasn't focused on the adult things to do, it focused on things for "Big Kids." Apparently because we didn't have kids of our own yet, we must still be big kids and so we would enjoy doing the kid things. And during the past year it seems that marketing has been aimed solely towards families with children and grandparents/emtpy nesters. The current marketing theme seems focused on baby boomer nostalgia ("remember watching the wonderful world of Disney on Sunday nights? Well, the magic is still here to share with those grand children of yours..."). This year's vacation video line up did not even include the "pre-family" version that I had come to know and love. Childless couples were simply sent the "Post-family" version, so that we could see how fun Disney can be for AARP members. Its as if my demographic no longer exists.

And now I see comments like the one the CM made about triceratop spin, that it was aimed at the under four crowd, seemingly implying that the poster had no business checking it out in the first place. The other addition to this area is a kiddy coaster. Everyone seems willing to concede that the purpose of dinorama was that people complained that there wasn't enough for little kids to do in AK - um, the only thing I can think of in AK that little kids couldn't do is Kali and CTX, which they slowed down to lower the height requirements. The news from Pleasure Island has been pretty bleak, for example Mannaquins has been MIA, and the news is when it re-opens it will no longer have feature dance music, but will have shifted towards a more middle of the road family friendly top 40 format. When was the last time Disney marketing mentioned the romance of walking the torchlit beaches of the polly or of a fine dinner at the grand? Or when was the last time that ESPN club was billed as a legitimate place to watch the game, rather than a place to get burgers for the kids that was themed like a sports bar?

Maybe they felt like they were already challenged in attracting the DINK visitor, and in a world of cutting back that was a good place to slash.

In Jan. we will be visiting with three other young couples. A fourth dropped out due to the birth of a baby and Sept. 11. But before they dropped, that couple was really bringing up the Universal parks - IOA, hard rock hotel, city walk....didn't that seem a little cooler and more adult?

Now don't misunderstand me, I've never expected or wanted to go to Disney and not enjoy a family with preschoolers at the next table - I full expect Disney to be a family place and I like that it is. I may occasionally whine about being cut off by a stroller, but the truth is I love seeing children enjoying the magic. I just feel like that the marketing and effort that they used to put in place to attract childless couples has been forgotten.

Is it just me?

DR

I agree totally with you. Myself and my partner have been many times. We always stay off site but do all the disney themeparks and IOA USF SW etc. I don't expect disney to cater especially for us but maybe just include us a bit more!! We fly all the way from the UK and I spend a serious amount of money in the parks. Your're right that IOA has more to offer latley but there you go. Disney must know that people like myself and my partner will always go back and do it all again and not really complain about it. I did enjoy the nightlife a lot more at citywalk last time than PI.

Can't complain too much though we're going back for Xmas 02 for our 10th anniversary together and thr 10th anniversary of our business(we do a ton of business in the US on our holidays).

But once again yes you are right.

Shel:bounce:

2 Thoughts.

1: Sinks and Dinks Generally don't stay that way for very long. (generally, not always) Thus they are a dynamic group to market to.
2: Disney never did offer much in the way of Unique Adult entertainment. The Uniquness was that you are at Disneyworld.

Generally, the Draw of Disneyworld is the traditional Family entertainment. Even for Sinks & Dinks. While I would like them to advertise the adult entertainment (I haven't viewed my 100 years of magic tape, because I'm not going to be able to go in the near future and don't want to depress myself). I can see the logic in skipping it.

In 1999/2000, they did advertise to the 20-30 something crowd without using nostalgia. I wouldn't be surprised if they do so again.

Originally posted by YoHo
2 Thoughts.

1: Sinks and Dinks Generally don't stay that way for very long. (generally, not always) Thus they are a dynamic group to market to.

Jeez, I know...I keep feeling like Disney is joining my parents and in-laws in dropping hints about little mouseketeers....

DR

I Had a group at My church back in chicago CALLED Sinks and Dinks. If I recall corrrectly, there are 3 SINKS left and one of them is getting married. The DInks all had kids. It got to the point where we should have renamed it Sinks and not Dinks.

I'm half a dink.
I agree with YoHo that the dink market is always changing. In addition, I think that most marketing is directed at demographics that are under performing. Maybe Disney has plenty of dinks like us and is trying to improve the family numbers. Am I making sense or am I just being a dinkhead?

sorry...

I'll still keep going regardless( we've managed to entertain ourselves for the last 7 times we've been and we always go to at least 2 disney parks) but I do think I will stay a dink. I've been with my partner 10 years and have no desire to get married neither does my partner. As for children well to be honest we don't think we'll have any.

But we will keep coming to the USA and having great holidays.

Shel

Yeah, but you'd think they could at least keep a few "pre-family" videos in storage to send us. Its not like they ever really changed that much in the advertisement anyway - it would still have that goofy couple singing the wrong words to TikiBirds and the Japanese language "challenged" couple!

I'll be honest that at first I was a little miffed at the title "pre-family", like it implied that we had no choice and it was all in the grand Disney scheme of populating the world with Disneyaddicts, but now I just feel left out, forgotten.

Oh I'll keep going - as will my husband (since he's the one who started this thread!), and as we drink our way around Epcot I'll just be thankful that I can without pushing a stroller or changing a diaper!!

As a sink who will at best become a dink I have to agree with you. I first got into disney as a sink-sink (I had a really good friend I travelled with...he's since become a not-dink). I thought pleasure island was great & the boardwalk was good too especially after epcot but now...it seems the entertainment is watered down. If I really wanted to go for an evening out I'd be most interested in Citywalk, followed by Westside with PI being a nose ahead of Church Street Station (does that still exist anymore?).

Somehow I think Disney has lost track of the convention crowd...that happy group of campers that behaves like sinks whether they are or not. Its unfortunate because there is a bumper crop of sinks coming along and those sinks will go to Universal (actually my nephew told me Disney was for old people...his definition of old being over 30 & him being 23).

Originally posted by doubletrouble_vb
....with PI being a nose ahead of Church Street Station (does that still exist anymore?).
Nope.

Somehow I think Disney has lost track of the convention crowd...that happy group of campers that behaves like sinks whether they are or not. Its unfortunate because there is a bumper crop of sinks coming along and those sinks will go to Universal (actually my nephew told me Disney was for old people...his definition of old being over 30 & him being 23).

Yeah, I think that was the point that I was trying to get to - not that I wouldn't go anymore, but that Disney seems to have given up <italic>trying</italic> to market to dinks/sinks. I guess it is all about circling the wagons and focusing on targets -
DR

I guess I have to say that when we were DINKs; the thought of going to WDW never even crossed our minds.

Our first trip as a couple (and my husband's first trip) was only after we had our daughter. We are now regulars (via DVC) for a couple of reasons: there are not many places that everyone, including a 3 year old can find something to do on vacation; our child's plane endurance time is about 3 hours (no more annual winter trips to Hawaii with a 10 hour flight); and, you can't get more child friendly than WDW.

I think Disney markets pretty hard to us former DINKS (who now have a guilt complex for still having two incomes and no time with the kids)--and pushes the "family togetherness time thing".

Trudy

Interesting....I did used to enjoy that there were things marketed to couples when we were pre-kids. Of course, now that we have them I guess we just didn't notice the change! We look forward to being a couple at WDW w/o kids before we reach the AARP stage though....lol. I won't even be 50 yet when my youngest turns 20.

I think there might be an (incorrect) assumption that couples who love WDW will eventually have children who love WDW. And I think there are more and more intentionally kidless families these days....for lots of reasons other than wanting to be like a kid forever. Eventually if this becomes a significant demographic there will be promotions in that direction. But I also think that the primary group of WDW guests is families with kids...and that will always be the major focus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter