Have they started the redo at OKW?

katmittens

OKW Owner
I have read different reports about the start and finish of the OKW refurbishment. Does anyone know if they have started? I read the other day that they will be done by June of 2018. I can not believe this and feel it must be 2019. Also do you know what buildings they will start first?

Booked here for Easter. I'm interested to see how much is done by then. Would be exciting to have a refurbished room!

I posted this on another thread about OKW refurbishment in the Member Services forum:

At OKW now, and as of today (11/15) 4 buildings are closed for refurbishment: Buildings 30, 31, 32, and 33.
Lots of trucks and hard hats around. Saw them moving in some new furniture into building 31, and they were pressure washing building 30. Don't know what all else they may be doing, but as I said, there were a lot of trucks and a lot of workers.

We were there in early Nov. and actually saw trucks that said, "Bedding and Draperies," so I am assuming that some units are moving towards the finish line. I am hoping that someone gets some pictures soon!

I posted this on another thread about OKW refurbishment in the Member Services forum:

At OKW now, and as of today (11/15) 4 buildings are closed for refurbishment: Buildings 30, 31, 32, and 33.
Lots of trucks and hard hats around. Saw them moving in some new furniture into building 31, and they were pressure washing building 30. Don't know what all else they may be doing, but as I said, there were a lot of trucks and a lot of workers.
We just got back and I saw those 4 building were blocked off with quite a few trucks.
I was not lucky enough to see any furniture though.

No new kitchen cabinets? Surprised and disappointed at that. Doesn’t look to be as nice of a rehab as Vero Beach got.

No new kitchen cabinets? Surprised and disappointed at that. Doesn’t look to be as nice of a rehab as Vero Beach got.

On the other hand, the kitchen cabinets to me are one of the few nods to Key West. I'd hate to see what the design would be if the cabinets were replaced. It does seem odd though.

We were in bldg 38 11/27-12/4. By the time we departed, they had taken down the block off partitions around bldgs 30-33 and were moving on down Turtle Pond. We couldn't see much but the 4 initial bldgs had lamps and draperies.

All they need to do is paint the cabinets white and it will be Key West. And get rid of the brown sofa and green chair. The villa needs a little color to it. The photos were so sterile or contemporary. Hated the photos.

All they need to do is paint the cabinets white and it will be Key West. And get rid of the brown sofa and green chair. The villa needs a little color to it. The photos were so sterile or contemporary. Hated the photos.
Could not agree more. The theme of the rooms is important to me, otherwise I would've bought into any other timeshare. I want the color and feel of Key West, and the kitchen cabinets have that feel. A coat of paint would do wonders, since the whitewashed cabinets are now a little orange-ish.

One thing I hope they NEVER change is the pastel colors of the exteriors.

Could not agree more. The theme of the rooms is important to me, otherwise I would've bought into any other timeshare. I want the color and feel of Key West, and the kitchen cabinets have that feel. A coat of paint would do wonders, since the whitewashed cabinets are now a little orange-ish.

One thing I hope they NEVER change is the pastel colors of the exteriors.
Oh, yes. If they change the paint colors of the exteriors, I'll just be happy with my BRV points I guess. I hate that they are homogenizing the villas.

Wonder why they kept the biggest change- the bathrooms under wraps? The photo to me, essentially showing almost the same as what it looks like now, was carefully selected if you ask me.
Like stated above, the Vero rehab looks amazing, and this looks a bit done on the cheap to me.

Wonder why they kept the biggest change- the bathrooms under wraps? The photo to me, essentially showing almost the same as what it looks like now, was carefully selected if you ask me.
Like stated above, the Vero rehab looks amazing, and this looks a bit done on the cheap to me.
Totally agree. I was wondering, too, since they made such a big deal about the BWV and BCV rehabs when they did those.

When we toured the 1st try of the remodel, the bath room had a light 2 tone gray tile, sort of like an aged wood look floor. the shower was all glass walls and door, the big tub was gone and a simple smaller tub replaced it. It looked nice, if you like the semi modern look of the BCV and BWV refurb.
It looks to me in the photo of the NEW furniture, it's the same old uncomfortable sofa and chair just with some 'blah' new fabric. I agree about that odd carpet, not sure that would look good any where.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter