Have you ever cheated on a test?

No I never cheated.
but the year my son graduated from high school there was a big cheating scandal. Several students who were in the top of their class rank were caught stealing the answers to a test. Everyone figured they were cheating their whole High School career.

One of them had a full ride scholarship to Ga. Tech. They were unable to walk graduation with the rest of their class, stripped of their top of the class ranks and the one lost his Ga. Tech scholarship. They were just handed their diplomas and that was that.

I remember my son joking about us not having to worry about him having cheated. He was definitely not top of his class!

It wasn’t something I did often, but in my sociology class in college our teacher had us do study guides and before the final I was studying it. When it was time for the test, I put it under a book on the floor next to my desk. During the test I got stumped and the teacher had left the room so I casually moved the book over and looked down at the study guide. Not 10 seconds later the teacher walked into the room, came to my desk, and moved my book back over top my study guide, then walked back out. I totally thought I was gonna get an F on that final for cheating, and it took weeks for me to get my grade since it was the final. I got a B. 😅

My friend used to come over my house to use my computer to write papers (back in the early 90s). But instead of writing anything, she'd buy others' papers for about $20 each. She's a principal now, lol 🤣

Rolling Stone and other magazines used to advertise "Research Papers" for sale in the ads in the back of the magazine. Hundreds of different topics available from Algebra to Zoology. There was a disclaimer that they were not meant to turned in as your own work. (wink wink)

Yeah, I bought a few for some required humanities courses like psychology or sociology and modified them a bit. There was no plagiarism software back in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't remember the price of the papers.

So in college I worked and went to school. When I say "worked" I mean like 30-40 hours a week. So Sr year and I have this International Finance class and work is killing me and I don't think I will have enough study time. So the test is basically going to be, out of these 7 essay questions the prof will pick two for the test. I start thinking, wait a minute I just get multiple test books (empty notebooks you use for tests) from the bookstore and write all the possible combinations of questions and the day of the test grab the right one and turn it in. Problem was it would be hard to shuffle in your backpack for that long to get the right one. So the day of the test I took it and wrote the answers. Thing is I had spent so much time rewriting the answers into multiple books that I had basically memorized the answers to all 7 questions. Made an A on the test and avoided cheating.
If I do my math right, that's 21 possible combinations and that's if the teacher doesn't reverse the order. (ie: he asks question 6 first and then question 3). Did you actually write out all 21?

Rolling Stone and other magazines used to advertise "Research Papers" for sale in the ads in the back of the magazine. Hundreds of different topics available from Algebra to Zoology. There was a disclaimer that they were not meant to turned in as your own work. (wink wink)

Yeah, I bought a few for some required humanities courses like psychology or sociology and modified them a bit. There was no plagiarism software back in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't remember the price of the papers.
(wink wink) lol. Yep. The gig was up soon after she did it. I think it was a professor who initiated making a plagiarism checker program and schools became fully aware how widespread the problem was.

My biggest concern was why pay all that tuition just to let your teacher grade someone else's work.

When I was in high school yes. In history class, some people noticed that the classroom door was always unlocked. One of my friends was stealing a copy of the test and showing it to us before we would take the test.

I'm really surprised most people on here cheated. This board definitely leans more toward the ruling following goodie too shoes (no offense). I never cheated at school but I remember when I worked at a theme park in the summer I had to pass a written test to operate a ride. I was taking the test with 3 other people and the supervisor left the room while we took the test and we all basically copied off of each other.

If I do my math right, that's 21 possible combinations and that's if the teacher doesn't reverse the order. (ie: he asks question 6 first and then question 3). Did you actually write out all 21?
Why yes, yes I did! Anyone who says you cannot learn by drilling or repetition well I got news for you! After that exercise I pretty well had my answers memorized. Thing is I probably could have done as well spending the time studying because it took a while to write out all those combinations.

yes, as a college student I wrote all the acronyms of the tests I had to give students in school on the edges of two pencils....nailed it!!!

Yes. Someone in class had a previous year's test, and before the exam they sent everyone pictures of it. This wasn't a case of finding the current year's test and stealing it, but studying the previous year's test, when the current test ended up having the exact same problems with different numbers.

Risky decision, though, because it required assuming the professor was going to use the same test and change the numbers. That was a strategy that didn't work out for several people other times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter