Have you ever felt you're going to much?

Mickey of the Villages

Can't have nice things
My wife and I travel to WDW (the parks or cruises) several times a year. We are incredibly fortunate to be able to do that.

We bought DVC this year and now will be going 2 weeks a year with our sons (tween and teen). We prefer to not go during the summer but seem to end up there on the Fourth of July every year.

So far we don't feel like it's too much; we love the absolute escape of it all. Have you ever felt you're going to much? How did that impact your trips?

Not yet, but my significant other probably feels that way :rotfl2: he doesn't love it as much as I do.

I do think it's important to have other travel experiences outside of Disney. I do 2 Disney trips a year but always have at least one other domestic trip and one international trip as well. Thankfully I have enough vacation days to do that. If I didn't I'd cut one of the Disney trips out and do the international.

Yes, sometimes.

We've been traveling to WDW for either work, pleasure or a combo since 1996. One year we had a few days of "vacation" tacked to the end of the work conference but hit the feeling, "I want to go back home, NOW!" by the end of the conference. We rebooked our flights for an earlier return and allowed the DVC points to go into holding. It was the right decision for us, at that time.

Yes, we did feel like this just this year. We went for 4 nights in June, 5 nights in October, 4 nights in January, and 6 nights in March. That was a total of 19 nights in WDW. It was too much for us. That 6 nights in March was WAY too much. We tacked on 1 night at Universal to every trip except the October trip too. I’m so glad we went over there because DH and I were “Disneyed out” by the last trip. I’m not going back to WDW until January 2020 with DD, and that’s ok with me. DH and DS are going elsewhere, and my DH said he needs more than a year break to make it feel fresh again. They won’t be back until fall 2020.

It should be notated that we still set a feverish pace in our trips, so we get tired out. Also, we don’t really go to WDW to relax by the pool. We can do that at home. ;)

Last edited:

Yes, sometimes.

We've been traveling to WDW for either work, pleasure or a combo since 1996. One year we had a few days of "vacation" tacked to the end of the work conference but hit the feeling, "I want to go back home, NOW!" by the end of the conference. We rebooked our flights for an earlier return and allowed the DVC points to go into holding. It was the right decision for us, at that time.
For the past few years I attended a conference put on by my employer in Orlando. Essentially I'm in a hotel for 4 days with a couple thousand other folks. My wife and sister came out one year and we did a few days at the parks. But many years by the time I get to the end of the conference I just want to flee. There's something "wrong" with being in Orlando and being at work. Unnatural. :)

Yes, we did feel like this just this year. We went for 4 nights in June, 5 nights in October, 4 nights in January, and 6 nights in March. That was a total of 19 nights in WDW. It was too much for us. That 6 nights in March was WAY too much. We talked on 1 night at Universal to every trip except the October trip too. I’m so glad we went over there because DH and I were “Disneyed out” by the last trip. I’m not going back to WDW until January 2020 with DD, and that’s ok with me. DH and DS are going elsewhere, and my DH said he needs more than a year break to make it feel fresh again. They won’t be back until fall 2020.

It should be notated that we still set a feverish pace in our trips, so we get tired out. Also, we don’t really go to WDW to relax by the pool. We can do that at home. ;)
I'm sure there are a million threads on this topic . . . but I wonder . . . how did adding a day at Universal work for your family? Did it make a big difference to see something new (I'm assuming it was new - maybe it wasn't)?

I'm sure there are a million threads on this topic . . . but I wonder . . . how did adding a day at Universal work for your family? Did it make a big difference to see something new (I'm assuming it was new - maybe it wasn't)?

We LOVE Universal. It is a completely different change of pace from Disney. Without all the pre-planning nonsense, it is a nice break from the Disney stuff. We also always stay at a resort for one night where we get the Express pass for the two days (check-in and check-out days). Honestly, the only reason we didn't do it in January is because it was just the kids and me with my mom, sister, and her kids. My immediate family had AP's at Universal this year, and the extended family with us didn't. It was too expensive to add on a day or two for them without the AP's. Those day ticket prices at Universal are crazy. However, the AP prices are great if you'll use them.

Only once during my dd's College Program. I believe we went 5 times within a year.

We usually mix it up with Vero, HH, DCL cruises, weekend trips here (non-Disney) and there and some other places (Non-Disney). We have thrown in Universal also and the Water Parks. You will find, at least we did, that we take it easy, relax and enjoy all the resort, DS, BW area more and more. Most of the time it's just hubby and I. We do go now with the grandchildren sometimes - kids though do enjoy lot's of down time, pool and community hall/recreation come to mind. Take advantage of them so you are not always running around or commando style - BUT only if you feel you are doing too much Disney.

Yes, periodically. We usually only go every other year or at the very most, every year.

In the last 9 months we’ve been 4 times (8 nights in August, 3 nights in August, 5 nights in September, and 6 nights just last week). We’ve decided our next trip is something non-Disney and then we’ll be back. They’ve all been great trips. We enjoy our visits, we don’t feel the need to do every single thing because we know we will be back and that helps. We’ve also set a rule that one day must be a non-park day. It helps break up the hustle and bustle and gives us all a chance to recharge.

So for us it’s not like we feel that we go too often in general, it’s just that this year that’s how things lined up and we realize that’s just too much for us.

We grew a bit tiresome of Disney after 50+ trips in 20 years.
We do still visit, as we now live 20 minutes away. The difference is we are no longer captive. We have resident passes and can come & go as we please.

In our “old life” we cherished our DVC Membership and all our trips, including the roughly 20 hotel stays pre DVC.
I think you are all very fortunate to be Members. That said, don’t be surprised if 15 years from now you may want to sell.... regardless of your current feelings.

Have you ever felt you're going to much? How did that impact your trips?
Last year we went in April and then again in November (had to see the christmas decorations). I almost felt it was not long enough between trips to make me really miss it and once we returned from our April trip it was time again to start the planning and booking for ADR's and then the FP a few months later. I think i need a break from the stress of planning and booking ADR and FP.

Now having just gone in Nov 2018 we are not going back until July 2020- so that is way too long. We actually bought with the intention of going every other year but that proves to be too long, which is why we find ourselves in the midst of closing on another contract. The problems of a disney addict.

We grew a bit tiresome of Disney after 50+ trips in 20 years.
We do still visit, as we now live 20 minutes away. The difference is we are no longer captive. We have resident passes and can come & go as we please.

In our “old life” we cherished our DVC Membership and all our trips, including the roughly 20 hotel stays pre DVC.
I think you are all very fortunate to be Members. That said, don’t be surprised if 15 years from now you may want to sell.... regardless of your current feelings.
I was talking with a gentleman on April 28 during the Annual Passholder event at MK while in line for Space Mountain. The wait was under 5 minutes if anyone wants to know. He is a Florida resident and he was telling me when he renewed his pass this year the CM jokingly asked him if he had a job or worked for Disney, since he had visited the parks thousands of times in the past 15 or so years. He said that WDW is in between his house and work and why not stop by every day and enjoy a ride or two. It was the his first time at the Passholder event though.

We have been going about 4x a year for the last several years. My DS18 thinks we go too much and "only" joined us for 2 trips in 2018. We have all decided we need a break in 2019 and are not going back until Spring 2020. This will be the first time in over 15 years that we are taking an entire year off from Disney.

No.

We're at the opposite end of the spectrum right now and going through withdrawal since we're on a 1.5 year hiatus due to having baby #2. We're hesitant to travel before she's 1 year old because of the measles outbreak. We have a bunch of trips planned starting late this year (all those banked points!) and can't wait, starting with a week at DLR (fortunate to have booked a week in a 1BR at VGC) and almost 2 weeks at WDW in December. We have an infant and a 3 year old and I can't see us getting sick of it anytime soon. We do take it pretty easy since we tend to go somewhat often (more frequently to DLR but longer trips at WDW).

When I first read this, I was like, NO WAY WOULD THAT EVER HAPPEN TO US!! But then realized my kids will be 18 and 22 by then and in a different place. Then again, I may be retiring or nearing retirement, and I could see going on more frequent trips and enjoying different things.

Like @TexasChick123, we are still mostly at a breakneck pace when we are there for family vacations, although this last trip we slowed it down a little - often only doing half days at the parks and then pool time and then dinner (sometimes in the park, sometimes not). That said, we went into the trip thinking we would take a day off from the parks in the middle, and not taking a day off at all.

I am wondering if we have been going too much -
in 2017 we returned after a 17 month hiatus, and we all agreed it was TOO LONG. we did 3 nights VGF, 7 nt cruise, 3 nt BCV, on rented points. Originally booked to try those resorts in case we wanted to buy DVC points in 2018, but somehow we were already DVC owners by then ...
--6 months' hiatus--
-8 nts Feb 2018
-4 nts Sep 2018 (last minute trip)
-5 nts Thanksgiving
-9 nts April 2019

We still have coming up: 2 nts adults only June 2019, then 11 nts over Xmas/New Years (we may shorten this, we may not, that's what we've booked so far).

We were all really looking forward to the April trip, and that was only a 5 month hiatus... ! DH has a conference in Orlando March 2020 and we toyed with the idea of pulling the kids from school, but we are going to hold off until late summer 2020 - a whopping 8 months - and see how bad our withdrawal is. Truthfully, though, I am really feeling like I want to enjoy this time with my kids as much as I can, and I'll keep taking them to WDW as long as they want to go. They are already sad that they're not going back until December, even though we have plenty of fun things booked in between!

This is my first year of retirement after teaching for 30 years so I have four trips planned. I finally broke down and bought an AP.

The trips are:

April- Completed trip for Flower and Garden festival
June- Six day trip taking grandkids for the FIRST time to Disney
October- Five day trip. Taking DD (27) who hasn't been to Disney in 4 years. Have tickets for MNSSHP and plan to check out Star Wars
March- 2020- Four day. Will be my first solo trip and will be meeting up with my former teaching colleagues.(They love Disney as well)

Perhaps after all the trips have been completed, I'll be tired of Disney, but I doubt it. Retirement will now allow me the flexibility to visit whenever I like provided I have enough DVC points to do so!

This is my first year of retirement after teaching for 30 years so I have four trips planned. I finally broke down and bought an AP.

The trips are:

April- Completed trip for Flower and Garden festival
June- Six day trip taking grandkids for the FIRST time to Disney
October- Five day trip. Taking DD (27) who hasn't been to Disney in 4 years. Have tickets for MNSSHP and plan to check out Star Wars
March- 2020- Four day. Will be my first solo trip and will be meeting up with my former teaching colleagues.(They love Disney as well)

Perhaps after all the trips have been completed, I'll be tired of Disney, but I doubt it. Retirement will now allow me the flexibility to visit whenever I like provided I have enough DVC points to do so!

This sound wonderful and amazing. Enjoy your well-deserved retirement! DH and I plan to go more often when we retire. (Still at least 15 years away...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter