Have you purchased scrapbking furniture?

bleeps

DIS Veteran
Hello--

I'm looking for options for furniture (primarily 12 x 12 files/storage) for a scrapbooking space. My intention is to find the cabinets I need and then run a length of countertop material over them to serve as work surface.

My problems: Cropper Hopper makes the components, BUT you can't buy them directly from their web site and there are no local dealers, AND they require you to build a base to rest the cabinets on and neither me nor my husband have the time/skills for that. For Keeps Sake makes lovely, and very pricey units, BUT they charge 40% of the cost of the units for shipping and they aren't sold anywhere but online.

Has anyone found any sources for cabinets/filing units that hold 12 x 12 papers and albums?

Thanks!

If you want to have a look at the furniture in my room, here's a link to the photos on 2Peas:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?cmd=display&layout_id=757247

I bought the cabinets and wall shelves from Home Depot. They all have shelves that can be adjusted to different heights to accommodate different sizes of albums. My desk and floor shelves came from Organized Living (before they went out of business!), but I bet other home/office stores would have something similar.

I have a "custom" cabinet for storing my 12x12 cardstock (the last photo shows it open). It came from www.customwoodbydallas.com I actually got it from dh & ds as my Mother's Day gift ... bought it at the Great Lakes Mega Meet last year (they had a booth). It was unfinished and I painted it white. I loooove it!! :)

HTH a little .... I know how hard it is to find just the right thing to store your supplies! ;)

Amy -- this is a HUGE help -- thank you so very much! I was hoping I could find a way to do a similar approach -- mix some easily available items with a couple of custom things and make it all look as though it belonged together, but I couldn't figure out how to start! Your space is utterly beautiful; thanks for sharing!

Since we aren't moving now, & I'm not getting my office/scraproom, I've just spent 2-3 weeks trying to redesign our guest room/office into a scrap room/guest room/office. I've been trying to find 12x12 file storage that is desk height without spending a fortune. I too was going to run countertop on top. I would only be able to do 8 ft -- & it would have to serve as desk & scrapping area --- with shelves above. DH insists I won't have enough space in 8 ft to be desk & scrap area. ????

My other problem is this room has too many doors & windows & not enough wall space. Ugh. Considered regular bed, day bed, murphy bed, areobed, bed suspended from ceiling (just kidding)...... I've just about given up.

Everything is either more $ than I wish to spend (now that I'm not working).... or room is too small for what I want to do.

I'll keep looking ... eventually I'll find it. For now, scrapping stays in our bedroom....and computer stays in guest room & I keep walking back & forth.

I love your scrap room. In my new house we will have a designated room for scrapping/office and I can't wait. Right now we have our office, scrapping and guest room all in one and it is cramped. I end up puttin gstuff on the guest bed until company comes and then moving it to my table while they are here and back to the guest bed once they are gone. LOL I can't wait to have room so everything can have a home. If anyone else has any ideas please share so that I can gather everything and come up with something myself.

SplshMtn99 said:
I would only be able to do 8 ft -- & it would have to serve as desk & scrapping area --- with shelves above. DH insists I won't have enough space in 8 ft to be desk & scrap area. ????

Well, I think 8 ft is plenty of space! My max. length for one long "counter" (a countertop with some kind of file cabinets holding up either end) is 7'6" and based on the way I'm currently using the space, that 7'6" is going to be an amazing amount of flat surface to work on! I hope you can resolve it soon so you're not walking back and forth between scrap space and computer -- that would drive me insane!

I cannot vouch for this place because I only found it today and have not purchased from them, but some interesting desk/workspace options at what seem to be good prices can be found at: http://www.everythingofficefurniture.com

I think 8 ft will be enough too. My current desk is 5 ft & current scrap table is 5 ft. The desk has alot of wasted space I think.

I think I'm gonna keep working on this. I KNOW it has to work.

bleeps said:
Amy -- this is a HUGE help -- thank you so very much! I was hoping I could find a way to do a similar approach -- mix some easily available items with a couple of custom things and make it all look as though it belonged together, but I couldn't figure out how to start! Your space is utterly beautiful; thanks for sharing!
So glad it was of some help! I LOVE looking through the scrap room category on 2Peas ... there's so much inspiration there!! :)

Thanks for sharing, you have a great room and have given me a LOT of ideas!!!

bubbasmom99 said:
I love this system for 12x12: www.scrapbookspacestation.com

The downside is it's pricey - but it seems to store an amazing amount of cardstock & paper. I wish I could afford it!

That's COOL!!! I've never seen that before. I like the paper organizer & how it's slanted, only using 5-3/4"! Great idea. Wonder if I could get DH to make me one of those somehow?

Thanks for sharing.

Why couldn't you use one of those paper trays from Office Depot or Office Max and just put it on it's side? or stack several....

We are in the process of finishing our basement....I would love to have a corner all to myself.....hmmm, this has me thinking!

DiznEeyore said:
So glad it was of some help! I LOVE looking through the scrap room category on 2Peas ... there's so much inspiration there!! :)

Yes, I meant to thank you for that, too -- I'm now:
1. totally addicted to checking out the other scrap rooms people have posted
2. totally convinced that I can put something together without spending a fortune that will work and will look nice
3. totally convinced that I need to change my messy ways and get super organized (like you are!)
4. totally convinced that your Disney/Tink theme is the nicest I have seen so far!

bleeps said:
Yes, I meant to thank you for that, too -- I'm now:
1. totally addicted to checking out the other scrap rooms people have posted
2. totally convinced that I can put something together without spending a fortune that will work and will look nice
3. totally convinced that I need to change my messy ways and get super organized (like you are!)
4. totally convinced that your Disney/Tink theme is the nicest I have seen so far!
:goodvibes

Amy - I just have to tell you that your room is 110% awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! I love the color! I love the cabinets!!!

A quick update for everyone interested: Crop In Style (www.cropinstyle.com) SEEMS to make just about every size/style of fairly affordable cabinetry, etc. -- downside (and doesn't this just drive you nutty?) is that they don't sell directly from their own site, and the retailers they list (JoAnns, Michaels, etc.) probably have to special order it -- at least, I've never seen this stuff in their stores. But, it's modular and looks nice -- at least worth checking out! :surfweb: :bounce:

Dory's Twin said:
Why couldn't you use one of those paper trays from Office Depot or Office Max and just put it on it's side? or stack several....

I haven't seen any paper trays at any office store that'll hold 12X12 paper...do they have them? I've special ordered them from scrapbooking places, but those places tend to be a bit pricier than office supply stores.

scrappinmom said:
Amy - I just have to tell you that your room is 110% awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! I love the color! I love the cabinets!!!
Thanks Chris! :teeth: I have to admit, it's one of my favorite places to spend time. And I know my hubby appreciates having all my stuff corralled in one room, LOL! :thumbsup2

bleeps said:
A quick update for everyone interested: Crop In Style (www.cropinstyle.com) SEEMS to make just about every size/style of fairly affordable cabinetry, etc. -- downside (and doesn't this just drive you nutty?) is that they don't sell directly from their own site, and the retailers they list (JoAnns, Michaels, etc.) probably have to special order it -- at least, I've never seen this stuff in their stores. But, it's modular and looks nice -- at least worth checking out! :surfweb: :bounce:

Thanks for posting, they have some neat stuff too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter