Have you stopped drinking soda? Or cut down?

I give up up occasionally (often for Lent) but have never stuck with it. It isn't even the taste that gets me, exactly. It is the fizz that I crave. But none of the carbonated waters or other fizzy substitutes I've tried seem quite as fizzy (I don't often drink soda from a can or bottle either, for the same reason).

About five years ago I quit Coke cold turkey. I was drinking 3-4 cans a day and I knew it wasn’t good for me. It was a rough week but after that I really felt great. Maybe eight months afterward, I got a real craving so I decided to order a coke at a drive through. OMG I could not believe how sweet it was. I couldn’t believe it. But, I kept drinking a few a month and got back into drinking it.

Up until a few months ago I limited it to fountain drinks because in my head there was less sugar because it was mixed with soda water.

One day, I made a mistake and caved even more and bought a small bottle of coke. It was so good and now I’m back to 2-3 cans a day. I’m so mad at myself for getting back into it.

I need the fizz. I drank 7-UP for a long time and orange Fanta to get the fizz. Now, I need my coke. I can’t drink anything with aspartame because it messes with my stomach. Plus, all the diets and zeros taste really gross to me.

This is pretty much my experience word for word.

About five years ago I quit Coke cold turkey. I was drinking 3-4 cans a day and I knew it wasn’t good for me. It was a rough week but after that I really felt great. Maybe eight months afterward, I got a real craving so I decided to order a coke at a drive through. OMG I could not believe how sweet it was. I couldn’t believe it. But, I kept drinking a few a month and got back into drinking it.

Up until a few months ago I limited it to fountain drinks because in my head there was less sugar because it was mixed with soda water.

One day, I made a mistake and caved even more and bought a small bottle of coke. It was so good and now I’m back to 2-3 cans a day. I’m so mad at myself for getting back into it.

I need the fizz. I drank 7-UP for a long time and orange Fanta to get the fizz. Now, I need my coke. I can’t drink anything with aspartame because it messes with my stomach. Plus, all the diets and zeros taste really gross to me.
I've never been a pop drinker; I don't like sweet beverages in general. Not sure if you drink coffee but when you quit Coke you probably had a serious caffeine withdrawal headache to deal with. As for fizz, have you though about trying flavoured, unsweetened sparkling water? It's trending right now and there's tons of different kinds on the market. I'm hooked - if you would have told me I'd be spending upwards of 10 bucks a week on canned water I'd have though you were crazy! :crazy: Other than the expense though, there's really no downside.
030718_Bubly.jpg

With the exception of Root beer, that is super hard to get here anyway). I only drink Soda so a mixer.

I think you should have one now and then, I think making something you really want banned just makes it more desirable

I gave up diet coke for lent about 5 years ago. After lent was over, I never went back to drinking it. I had at that time switched to seltzer and was drinking a lot of that, but after a couple years, I got sick of having all the empty cans and bottles to recycle so I just drink water from my filtered refrigerator now. If I am out, I may treat myself to a diet coke now and again…I really like fountain diet coke, I think it tastes better for some reason. I did drink a lot of it on the Wonder last April because it was there and free, but after the cruise I didn't really miss it again.

I cut way down on Coke when I started counting calories. I used to drink it at home and when we went out (usually 1-2 servings per day). I like fountain Coke better than canned Coke anyway, so I cut down to only allowing myself to have it when we go out (1-2 servings per week instead of per day). The rest of the time I drink water. I did really miss it when I first cut down, but now I'm used to it.

I gave up coffee and soda, although I will admit I do enjoy a Fresca every once in awhile, every 6 months or so - so kinda gave up soda

I will still have a sip of DHs soda occasionally but other then that and not realizing that Sonic's limades are soda until after I ordered them I haven't really had soda in around a year.

I don't drink coffee so my caffine comes from a monster rehab... they are the only ones I drink.

I have always loved soda, so it was a really bad thing about 13 years ago when I got a job at a law firm that gave out free sodas. All you had to do was walk over to the fridge and grab what you wanted. Let me tell you, it got bad. I had, and continue to have, a very long commute to work, just about 2.5 hours one way. So I would get a soda in for my commute, then one for breakfast about 3-4 hours later, 1 for lunch, 1 for the afternoon and 1-2 for dinner (more like 1 when I got home and grabbed another for dinner). I tell you, it was bad. Then I stated to cut back a little at a time to the point I had just 1 a day, and I was dropping about 5 pounds week so so. Unfortunately I fell off that bandwagon and started drinking them again, but have made the decision to cut out my sodas starting today. So here we go.

Last edited:
I've never been a pop drinker; I don't like sweet beverages in general. Not sure if you drink coffee but when you quit Coke you probably had a serious caffeine withdrawal headache to deal with. As for fizz, have you though about trying flavoured, unsweetened sparkling water? It's trending right now and there's tons of different kinds on the market. I'm hooked - if you would have told me I'd be spending upwards of 10 bucks a week on canned water I'd have though you were crazy! :crazy: Other than the expense though, there's really no downside.
030718_Bubly.jpg

Yeah, I get a wicked headache without my caffeine. I don’t drink coffee so it has to come from a can.

I don’t like fizzy water..I think it’s really gross. Thank you for the suggestion though. I may just have to force myself to go cold turkey again.

i stopped drinking Diet Coke a few weeks ago. I’ve had one every day for probably twenty years. Recently I read a few articles about how unhealthy it really is.

Have you ever quit drinking soda or cut back?

I’m trying to decide if I should have none or if I should just have one now and then when we go out for pizza etc. or if that makes it more difficult.

Anyone else stopped drinking soda? Do you have one now and then?
Flavored seltzer is the way to go!!! Refreshing and hydrating.

I’ve cut way back & now it’s to the point if I have more than normal, I feel lousy almost immediately. But, I don’t think I could ever give it up entirely. And I refuse to drink diet soda. In some ways, it’s worse for you than the regular stuff.

I bought a pitcher with an infuser and drink fruit infused water these days. I can't remember the last time I had a pop or soda.

I absolutely LOVE regular soft drinks!! I drink 2 cans at work, and try just for 1 at home in the evening, but sometimes it is 2. I would love to lose the weight they cause me to gain, but I hate diet drinks and the flavored waters either give me headaches/stomach aches or taste bad to me. I don't smoke and I don't drink a lot of alcohol, so this is my vice and while I do think I need to cut down, I have no plans what so ever to stop drinking them. I usually buy Cokes for the house because that's what DH likes, but my favorite is Dr. Pepper. The only regular soft drink I don't like is root beer. Sometimes, I will drink sweet tea, especially at McDonalds and I usually have some kool-aid in the fridge. I will drink water sometimes, especially in the summer or at work if I finish my 1st Coke up early.

As I've said, I drink regular (and diet) soda, and have no plans to cut down.

I wanted to add flavored bubbly water just isn't the same. And it doesn't matter if you love it, please don't offer it as "soda." Yes, it may be "soda water." But it isn't what is commonly referred to as "soda."

I had a friend give me flavored soda water after she offered me "soda." I wasn't quite sure what to do with it once it hit my mouth. I hate drinking plane, regular water. But that would have been better then what she gave me.

If I had known what she was going to give me, I would have politely told her, "No, thank you." Instead I had to figure out how to get this nasty stuff down my throat. Blech.

I will occasionally go through a drive-thru for a large fountain soda. I think fountain soda tastes so much better than soda from a can. I don't know why, but I love a big crisp fountain soda. I will also order soda out at a restaurant, but usually I don't have it in the house. The only time I have it in the house is if company is coming over or for holidays.

I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke when I worked outside the home, but several years ago I pretty much gave it up as too much caffeine was causing heart palpitations.

Occasionally, like if we go out for pizza, I will have Diet Coke but ask for decaffeinated if they have it.

My drink of choice at home is plain sparkling water, sometimes with a squeeze of lemon or lime. I like decaf iced tea too. Oh...and wine. :)

Grew up near Atlanta where going to the Coke museum is considered a valid field trip, drank it daily through high school. What broke me of the habit was studying abroad, where it was more expensive (I could get a glass of wine for cheaper in most restaurants). Now seltzer with a squeeze of lemon is good enough for me. I haven’t kept Coke in my house in almost 2 decades. It really is an occasional, at the movies type of treat. If it’s not in your home you won’t drink it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter