Have you stopped drinking soda? Or cut down?

i stopped drinking Diet Coke a few weeks ago. I’ve had one every day for probably twenty years. Recently I read a few articles about how unhealthy it really is.

Have you ever quit drinking soda or cut back?

I’m trying to decide if I should have none or if I should just have one now and then when we go out for pizza etc. or if that makes it more difficult.

Anyone else stopped drinking soda? Do you have one now and then?

I was never a huge soda drinker anyway, but I have cut it out almost entirely, primarily for purposes of cutting out sugar.

I'll either have water or half sweetened and half unsweetened iced tea. With iced tea more and more available its easy enough!

I stopped drinking diet soda when a colleague told me about a study about the dangers of it. I try not to drink anything unnatural anymore. I basically drink water like it's my job. I drink one cup of coffee a day, and occasionally some 1% low-fat milk. On special occasions, I will enjoy alcoholic beverages.

We stopped drinking soda regularly years ago. We'll have it occasionally at parties or special occasions (if there aren't other options), but mostly drink carbonated water, tap water, coffee and beer.

"Have you stopped drinking soda? Or cut down?"

Cut down quite a bit from when I was a kid. It was always around in my house.

Nowadays, I mostly drink water, but I do have an occasional soda - Pepsi, root beer, or something like Sprite.

Last edited:

I reduced my soda intake about a year ago (I will have one with my popcorn when we’re at the movies) and now will only drink Zevia if I want a carbonated drink at home.

I’ve never been a huge fan of soda, so there was never a habit to break. I was that kid who wanted milk instead of a coke at birthday parties. I’d rather drink water than a soda, I’m just an odd duck like that.

My husband sticks to the moderation approach. He likes it when he’s “splurging” on something else unhealthy like pizza.

I recently (a year ago) switched from regular to diet soda, then a few weeks ago I switched to regular iced tea with splenda. I know splenda isn't great, but it's a process for me....just moving away from soda and sweeteners in general hopefully.

I don't really feel any different yet.

DH stopped drinking Diet Coke about 7 months ago because it's so bad for you. Still wants one, but won't do it because he's afraid he'll "relapse"

I was never really a fan of non-diet soda. I used to love Diet Coke but I kind of lost my taste for it after awhile (except for rare occasions where it totally hits the spot). However, I am completely addicted to seltzer and sparkling water. I just love the carbonation and have grown really accustomed to the slight flavor of it (that now makes any non-seltzer beverage taste SO SWEET). There are some brands I really do not like (La Croix has a gross aftertaste, Bubly doesn't stay bubbly) but if I have the option of still water or seltzer, I take seltzer every time.

I tried an experiment in August and stopped drinking anything but water. No more coffee, beloved iced tea, or diet soda. I used artificial sweetener in my coffee and tea so I stopped them also. I can say that I was feeling better, with less joint pain, until my back started bothering me on Labor Day weekend. I have only had one slip in 57 days. I still haven't decided if I am going back to coffee and tea or not. I think I need to stop with the artificial sweeteners.

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped with weight loss. That was one of my main motivators.

I cut out soda years ago. I only drink water and black coffee.

I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.

I gave it up because it gives me the bladder issues mentioned above - all the fizzy stuff does. I'm drinking water, coffee and tea. I have trouble with wine and other adult drinks because they interfere with my sleep. If I have even a small one I'm up for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night. Just not worth the issues!

I never really drank much soda anyways and live with a type 1 diabetic. Diet soda is gross, so it's tea and water for me.

Really the only time I'll have a soda is with something alcoholic in it.

I've cut way back from what I consumed even ten years ago. In high school, I drank way too much pop.

I drink mostly water and coffee these days, but I do have a pop every couple of days. I always have it with pizza (quoth my late cousin, "Who the h*ll drinks milk with pizza?!?"), Tacos, and Chinese food.

I used to drink lots of Diet Coke, like 3-4 cans a day. I cut it out completely when my wife stopped drinking it maybe a year or so ago. Beyond feeling better physically, my brain also seems a lot clearer in general. All the Aspertame does some weird things to you more than we realized, I think. Now I mostly just drink water and coffee (plus a small amount of beer), with some Le Croix or other carbonated water to mix it up.

I can't stand coffee nor can I stand hot drinks in general. When I started working where I'm at, I was working on the production floor near a water cooler and ice machine. I had a large travel mug that I would fill with a bit of hot water and steep a tea bag. Then fill it with ice and cold water and very little sugar and that was my "coffee" for the morning.

Then I got a position far from the water cooler and ice machine. Started drinking Pepsi every morning and brought a can for lunchtime. I started making iced tea at home and bringing it in a bottle after years of the Pepsi. I was drinking just water for lunch.

Note, I drink a LOT of water. I have a 48 ounce jug at home I use and in the evenings I fill and down that twice. When I'm out on an all day ride on the bicycle, I drink about a quart per hour. When we are on the bicycles touring for a week, I may not see anywhere for a long time to get water so I carry 2 gallons with me on the bike.

Recently I don't know what happened. I tried Mt. Dew Code Red. Wow, it's delicious! My intake of Code Red steadily goes up day to day and I need to stop drinking it.

So yes, I quit drinking pop, but have started up again. It's not the only source of my weight though. I also have an I-love-good-food problem.

Last year in July I went on my first two 7 day long bicycle trips. I didn't drink a lick of pop and rode 750 miles on the bicycle to the tune of burning approximately 2500-3000 calories from riding per day and gained weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!