Hawaiian airlines 11 hour flight from JFK to hnl

catzle

DIS Veteran
anyone done this? Suggestions? Already booked wondering about food movies etc. we paid for upgraded seats

I've taken this route 4 or 5 times over the last few years and will be taking it again this September after I visit my parents in NYC. I've done 1st class once and "extra comfort" twice. If that's what you upgraded to, then that's a good idea. I feel less antsy with the extra room, and I like that the entertainment package (which is great - updated movies and shows) and a real charger are included. Plus you know you'll get an overhead bin. On some flights, you can rent a tablet, but I've always just used the screen attached to the seat.

Hawaiian is one of the few airlines that still feeds you for free, but the only time I really enjoyed the food has been in 1st class. I just eat a good breakfast right before I board because I'll just pick at the lunch they serve. But, I think I may be an outlier because when I look round, most seemed to have consumed all/most of their food. Hawaiian updates their website that shows what meals they are serving for your respective flight.

I will be doing the 10hr flight from HNL to JFK. We are stopping at Disneyland on the way. This will be my longest flight. But 2x from Italy it was a 9 hour flight home.

My strategy is to definitely have food on the plane. A sandwich and a snack. Especially if you have kids. Cranky hungry kids on planes is never a good thing.

I know Hawaiin air feed you, but so did Delta on our flights. Food is never good. Good in a pinch. But on a very long flight definitely have a sandwich you can have.

For me the TV in the seat is priceless. Very hard for me to sleep, so without that I don't think I could do that long of a flight.

I also upgraded to Economy comfort. On Delta it was lifesaving to have that few extra inches I'm sure this flight will be the same.
Happy planning
Kerri

we've done a similar flight from the west coast to Europe.

Try to sleep. bring a bag of activities. we did it with an 18 month old and he neither slept nor complained. Get up and walk around every few hours.

it's not bad if you don't stress about it.

I agree to check out www.seatguru.com! They have helped many trips for us! I'm type A when we travel, and always obsess about long flights finding the most ideal seat (like when we flew 3 1/2 hours to DFW then 14 hours to Seoul - I was actually sad that I slept most of the second leg as it was in the 777 first class which was empty and the seat made into a bed. Wine, melatonin, and I was out. No jet lag ever that whole trip (stopped in Hawaii for a week on the way back to relax after a week visiting my husband's many, many relatives).

Melatonin is amazing - works for me but not my kids (we did pharmacogenetic testing and they confirmed that it doesn't, boo, but for me I take it if it's supposed to be night time and it helps, never had jet lag to or from Hawaii).

Try to sleep
HA51 leaves at 10 am EST and arrives at 3ish HST, so staying awake during the flight and then going to bed early in the evening local time helps the body adjust better. Of course, napping is inevitable, but I would actually say it’s better to stay awake as much as possible. Flights to Europe from mainland USA are often overnighters and it makes more sense to try and sleep on those.

HA51 leaves at 10 am EST and arrives at 3ish HST, so staying awake during the flight and then going to bed early in the evening local time helps the body adjust better. Of course, napping is inevitable, but I would actually say it’s better to stay awake as much as possible. Flights to Europe from mainland USA are often overnighters and it makes more sense to try and sleep on those.

And the flight home from HNL will be overnight.

This is my flight when I go in September. I hate long flights but I hate even more worrying I'm going to miss my connection.

I envy you people! I always fly cattle class from Sydney to HNL, LAX or MCO to save money for a longer trip. I wish the flights were only 9 hours

Thanks for the suggestions to try the Seat Guru website! I had never tried that one out before, and I found it very useful!

Thanks for the suggestions to try the Seat Guru website! I had never tried that one out before, and I found it very useful!

My wife and I have done this round trip 3 times. Each time we paid to upgrade to row 34 (an exit row). WELL WORTH IT! We must've had nearly 8 feet of leg room. Also, depending on your flight attendant (they sit across from you during takeoff and landing in this row) they'll have some really invaluable tips for you for Oahu!

Bring snacks! Even though they feed you a few times, it wasn't enough for me lol The last thing you want is to start getting "hangry" on a flight this long lol PB&J's were a savior for me.

When you get to Aulani, STAY AWAKE! We made this mistake our 1st trip and went to sleep at like 630pm. For the next 5 days we were waking up at 2am. After that we forced ourselves to stay up until at least 830-9pm after we arrived and it made the adjustment so much easier!

I just returned and took HA from LAX-Kona-HNL. I now wish we had taken a longer direct flight , because on the way back (our final destination was Miami) took us over 24 hours with 4 flights! I had to book it that way, because in order to use our HA miles we had to book separate flights to the west cost. MIles can't be used if the itinerary has a codeshare flight.

Anyhow, to answer your question, one meal is free and includes a free glass of wine. On the way we had a pasta with meatball dish which was quite good. On the way back we had a teriyaki chicken with rice that only had two cubed pieces of chicken. Our flights were 5.5 hrs apps so don't know if on longer flights they provide more that one meal. They will come by first with snacks for purchase. Which is odd because shortly thereafter they do the free beverage with snack and then the meal follows right behind. First class gets a different meal prepared by some chef that you will hear about on the screeen. You will get an email a few days before, if there are seats available, to bid to upgrade to first class. If you can afford do it! The seats are huge and have a foot rest where you are like in a recliner the whole time. If not sometimes you can upgrade for about $50 at online check in time.

Entertainment: if you can download some free movies to your phone or iPad do that. The screen has entertainment but the movies are $8 bucks ea. and only a few things are complementary and only last under 30 min. We each downloaded 2 movies on airport wifi right be for boarding. Thank goodness for that.

Extra comfort seats have a little more legroom and they give you the blanket/pillow for free otherwise it costs $10. I sat in one for a few minutes as I waited on the bathroom. I dosed off (don't know how long) I was approached and asked if I had paid for the seat. So I went back to my seat. I thought that was ridiculous as there were several rows of unused extra comfort seats, and my seat mate decided she was going to use her seat and mine. When I returned to mine she had the arm rest up with half of her body in my seat. Didn't bother to move when I sat down. I was trying to be nice but eventually lowered the arm seat and nudge her over. It was the longest 5.5 hrs back.

Honestly, other than the free meal. I didn't find that the seats where any more more comfortable than my AA flight to LA which was the same 5.5 hours. AA had free and better screen entertainment and games for the kids.

So keep an eye on the email for the upgrade offer. It's well worth it for such a long flight!

So the extra comfort seats are OK? We are heading to Aulani in Sept. JFK to HNL, 11+ hrs. ugh! and I am not looking forward to that at all!! We purchased the extra comfort- and I hope that it will be comfortable.... the first class seats were too rich for my blood... Has anyone had the extra comfort- are these ok> and the entertainment pkg OK too??

So the extra comfort seats are OK? We are heading to Aulani in Sept. JFK to HNL, 11+ hrs. ugh! and I am not looking forward to that at all!! We purchased the extra comfort- and I hope that it will be comfortable.... the first class seats were too rich for my blood... Has anyone had the extra comfort- are these ok> and the entertainment pkg OK too??

Be sure to specify Row 34 for the Extra Comfort seats. My wife and I have done this roundtrip 3 times and gotten row 34 each time. WELL worth it. You have probably 6-8 feet of legroom which is massive for a trip that length. The seats themselves are also slightly upgraded and more comfortable. The legroom is the biggest plus though. For your best views when coming in for landing on Oahu, try to get the left side of the plane (when looking back to front). Either way though, DEFINITELY row 34! I can't recommend it enough!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Hawaiian is one of the few airlines that still feeds you for free, but the only time I really enjoyed the food has been in 1st class. I just eat a good breakfast right before I board because I'll just pick at the lunch they serve. But, I think I may be an outlier because when I look round, most seemed to have consumed all/most of their food. Hawaiian updates their website that shows what meals they are serving for your respective flight.[/QUOTE]

You're not. I think their food is gross.

[QUOTE="Hawaiian is one of the few airlines that still feeds you for free, but the only time I really enjoyed the food has been in 1st class. I just eat a good breakfast right before I board because I'll just pick at the lunch they serve. But, I think I may be an outlier because when I look round, most seemed to have consumed all/most of their food. Hawaiian updates their website that shows what meals they are serving for your respective flight.

You're not. I think their food is gross.[/QUOTE]

Yea the food's not great, but better than nothing on a flight that long! Agreed about eating a good breakfast 1st. That's key. We also are sure to pack plenty of snacks, even PB&J's. The last thing you want a flight that long is to be hungry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!