HDMI port on television disabled?

pamlvt

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are going to Aulani next week. We want to bring a Amazon FireStick to watch a movie at night. Usually the HDMI ports in hotel televisions are disabled. Anyone know if they are disabled at Aulani? Or how to get around it?

Usually the HDMI ports in hotel televisions are disabled.

Actually they are not truly disabled at most hotels the input changing is simply blocked from the standard remote. Hopefully someone can answer but if nothing else here is what you want:

- Get a universal remote (cheap $10 ones that are small work fine)
- When the TV is off unplug everything from the TV (coax, hdmi, usb, and ethernet)
- Plug in your FireStick
- Turn on the TV with your universal remote
- Change input with input function (you possibly will need to go to the "menu" or "settings" instead and change the "input" or "function")

There will be very rarely when traveling truly disabled HDMI ports where they lock it down at a TV operating system level. The reason it is rare is that most hotel chains have learned people bring their own devices to connect to the TV both for entertainment and work. They also do not lock it down in order to leave the door open to selling the TVs in the future by simply disconnecting their hotel box. Finally they don't lock it down because those who want could unlock the TV which actually can cause the TV to no longer function for the hotel (it "breaks" the TV by unlocking the normal TV mode).

EDIT: Adding a post I found from 2016 that stated it worked for them with a AppleTV so the FireStick should have no issue. https://www.disboards.com/threads/has-anyone-packed-a-streaming-device.3507561/post-55713416

Thank-you so much!! I’ll report back after we get there and I follow your instructions :)

They also have a large movie collection in the Pau Hana room and BluRay players in every room. You can rent up to two movies at a time and watch them in your room.

We never had issues plugging in and watchin stuff plugging into the HDMI port during our last trip.

thread hijack - are the current units "smart"? All the ships now have some element of on-demand. Wondering if you could get D+ at the hotel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter