He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

I'm really enjoying your report! Those treats from the Ganachery...I've got to try that when we get down there!

And your meal at Geyser Point looks really good as well. That restaurant is an interesting design to still be considered table service, but it's good that the food quality is so high.

Excited to read some more!

Love me some VN! I had the other white pizza and Chad had the Veal Parm.

I’m going to start having difficulty when choosing restaurants bc there are so many I like yet so many I want to try!

Thanks so much for the coconut chocolate....blech.... ;)

Thanks for posting the s’mores pic bc that’s on the list for next week! Oh and I may have to fight someone if I can’t get my crab cake sandwich. So annoying!

Hopping off lurker status to say hi :wave2: and really enjoying this report! This actually started a cascade effect and now I've read a bunch of dining reports, which I should've been doing all along on the DIS!

Suffice it to say when in Disney everyone should listen to ME, period.
lol, same.

Geyser point looks like a nice option for walk ins! My husband would be all over the edamame. I like it but I also like some other things so I don't order it often.

I need those truffles in my life.

Over at the Ganachery the truffles were singing my name so I took this pretty little box home :
We have received these truffles as a thank you gift at both the BC and the GF. The box we received at the BC was the same one that you purchased. It was a thnak you for being a return guest. It is a nice touch. :)
Steve got an app that Ricky was interested in trying:
Edamame - with chili-salt
I love the edamane and was thrilled to find it at Geyser Point. They used to serve edamane at Territory Lounge but took it off their menu. I love this appetizer. :)

And the waffle fries were seriously better than any fries I've had down there
I love the waffle fries at Geyser Point.

Grilled Salmon Salad
with Field Greens, Miso-Plums and Ginger Vinaigrette

Except this isn't what the picture looks like. And while both the current Disney site menu and the allears menu have a salmon salad on them, neither is described like this.
I've had this salad at Geyser Point twice, the most recent being at the end of February and it didn't look anything like the one that they served to Steve. The salmon salad I had was served in a bowl and had some fruit with it and maybe something else. It was very good.

I did prefer when you just walked up and got a table but I suppose it's gotten too popular for that to continue working well for them.
I think that a side effect of the new seating procedure is that it helps to keep the people with wet bathing suits from sitting all over the nice cushioned chairs at the restaurant. I remember having trouble finding a dry seat one time we were there when it was still open seating.

Last edited:

I love GP, and that turkey sandwich is my favorite thing on the menu, except for the salmon biali for breakfast! Of course, I've never had the burger, so can't compare. My gosh, I'm so hungry now!

And you're welcome for all the different picture sizes here :P
ha! :rotfl2:

Geyser Point:

img_8328-jpg.326556
Between your trip report and @ArielSRL's I am longing to go back to Wilderness Lodge!

Now you have to wait to be seated. It was pretty busy but we were happy with the 10 minute wait.
I am not sure how I feel about this. I can see how it is helpful when it is really busy. Keeps a little bit of order to who came first and stuff.

Steve-
Black Cherry Mule
Zodiac Black Cherry Vodka, fresh Lime Juice, and Agave Nectar topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer
Yum! My favorite!!

Black Cherry Lemonade
Grey Goose Cherry Noir Vodka, Odwalla® Lemonade, fresh Lime Juice, and Grenadine topped with Sprite®

We had a big BBQ last Sunday and Steve made these for me, tasted just like Disney's! My mom, sister, SIL and MIL tried it and liked it too, so much so that we had to send my stepson Eric out for more lemonade :drinking1 I'd purchased enough vodka ahead of time, no worries there!
I have recreated the Mule at home, although, I can't find Zodiac Vodka.

I don't like anything healthy so didn't bother trying one.
Ha! Edamame is so good. Healthy and good.

img_8334-jpg.326566

Grilled Salmon Salad

Except this isn't what the picture looks like. And while both the current Disney site menu and the allears menu have a salmon salad on them, neither is described like this. Regardless Steve thought this was some of the best salmon he's had and the arugula-wait, let me include my symbol for arugula :crazy2: was very fresh.
This looks good and like something we would eat at home but I would have gone with the burger in Disney!

Oh and I may have to fight someone if I can’t get my crab cake sandwich. So annoying!
I am still sad that they got rid of the crab cake eggs benedict before we got there....

Ricky had never had these before so Steve had to explain how to eat them :teacher: He liked them and so did Steve, the chili salt had a kick but nothing crazy. They polished these off and ordered another bowl. I don't like anything healthy so didn't bother trying one. Chris tried and was appalled that people actually eat these so he left them to his dad and brother.
:rotfl2:
I strangely like edamame. Not sure how that happened.
The " Artisan Roll" had a buttery coating on top and was grilled just a little bit.
Grilled buns are the best!

Geyser Point looks like such a great place to kick back and hang.

I'm really enjoying your report!
:thanks: I'm glad you're here!

hose treats from the Ganachery...I've got to try that when we get down there!
All of a sudden there are so many good snack/dessert places to try in DS, it's hard to pick! I've still never made my own rice krispie treat at Goofy's Candy Co. and now it's harder to get there with so many other places in the running.

And your meal at Geyser Point looks really good as well. That restaurant is an interesting design to still be considered table service, but it's good that the food quality is so high.
Yes it's strange that it's working like a TS now. I'm wondering if they're just not sure what they want it to be? Or it's busier as an eatery than they thought it'd be? As long as the food and drinks stay decent I'm ok however they do it!

I’m going to start having difficulty when choosing restaurants bc there are so many I like yet so many I want to try!
Ugh, that's my problem whether we're going for 3 days or 8! I have most of our days done ADR-wise for Nov since it's Thanksgiving week, but not our last 3 because I just can't decide where I want to eat. Repeat places? New places? So hard to choose!

Thanks so much for the coconut chocolate....blech.... ;)
:D:D

Hopping off lurker status to say hi :wave2:
Yay, :welcome:

This actually started a cascade effect and now I've read a bunch of dining reports, which I should've been doing all along on the DIS!
That's how I got started over here, I read one dining report and then kept going until I decided to try my hand at my own! It got me into quite a few restaurants I was on the fence about :)

I love how flexible you are in your plans!
Thank you! It's funny that I can be flexible in Disney, because I hate when plans change in real life lol. I'm a planner by nature but have found that, with our boys, days usually work out best when Steve and I are willing to change on the fly. When Steve and I go without the boys we really change things up quite often, and that feeling of "freedom" is great!

Geyser point looks like a nice option for walk ins!
It is, especially the beautiful views. During the day it never seems to be crowded and really only a couple nights have we seen it really crowded at the bar. Even when there's only a couple handfuls of people, it's hoppin' enough to be fun but not crazy. I highly suggest going over there sometime just for a drink and maybe an app!

We have received these truffles as a thank you gift at both the BC and the GF. The box we received at the BC was the same one that you purchased. It was a thnak you for being a return guest. It is a nice touch. :)
Whoa, that's nice! We've gotten "thank you for being a return guest" cards but that's it. I guess they like you and Dana more lol

I've had this salad at Geyser Point twice, the most recent being at the end of February and it didn't look anything like the one that they served to Steve. The salmon salad I had was served in a bowl and had some fruit with it and maybe something else. It was very good.
Yeah the menus are conflicting, but at least the salmon quality seems to be consistent. As long as the food stays good I'm ok with changes there.

I think that a side effect of the new seating procedure is that it helps to keep the people with wet bathing suits from sitting all over the nice cushioned chairs at the restaurant. I remember having trouble finding a dry seat one time we were there when it was still open seating.
Now that makes sense! It would be a pain to have chairs and tables dripping wet from people coming directly from the pool.

I love GP, and that turkey sandwich is my favorite thing on the menu, except for the salmon biali for breakfast! Of course, I've never had the burger, so can't compare. My gosh, I'm so hungry now!
LOL! That's what happens to me reading other peoples' dining reports!

Between your trip report and @ArielSRL's I am longing to go back to Wilderness Lodge!
Whenever we go to Disney and don't stay at WL, I wish we were there. But I do like to mix it up and stay elsewhere sometimes, I can just never get enough of my lodge :love:

Ha! Edamame is so good. Healthy and good.
Yup, healthy = me no like :laughing:

Thanks for the review and info on GP at WL, our first stay will be in August. Excited to try GP one day.
I'm probably as excited for your stay there as you are lol! You guys should definitely try GP one night :)

I strangely like edamame. Not sure how that happened.
I forgive you - THIS time :snooty:

Geyser Point looks like such a great place to kick back and hang.
It is, and as I keep saying the views might be the best part!

img_8341-jpg.326218

Huh! These are normally reserved for CL guests. Were we just extra special, or as I noted in my TR was it because when we checked in two days prior I noticed the room needed vacuuming badly and had to request it 3x before it got done? Regardless it was a nice touch and I never turn my nose up at chocolate.
Funny how they can remember to bring you chocolate, but couldn't remember to vacuum!!

Inside was better:

img_8344-jpg.326220
Yum!!!! These look so good. I'm not a huge dark chocolate fan, but I'd be all over the milk chocolate one. Hoping to spend more time in DS on our next trip and actually check some of these places out.

After some deliberation we decided to skip HOB in favor of Geyser Point so we let Chris know and eventually made it to the buses, after one of Steve's direction fails some of you are familiar with. I explained how this played out over in my TR, and because I do love the man I won't do it again here lol. Suffice it to say when in Disney everyone should listen to ME, period.
Given Steve's proclivity for "directions" how on earth can anyone listen to him anymore :P Jason is the same way, but has long since learned I'm in change of directions no matter where it is.

img_8328-jpg.326556

We had to wait about 10 minute for a table; they keep changing the way seating works here. When we stayed here last August it was just seat yourself, and if you wanted to eat they brought you a menu. Now you have to wait to be seated. It was pretty busy but we were happy with the 10 minute wait.
I've been reading about the changing plans. Think they may end up going the ADR route????

We had a big BBQ last Sunday and Steve made these for me, tasted just like Disney's! My mom, sister, SIL and MIL tried it and liked it too, so much so that we had to send my stepson Eric out for more lemonade :drinking1 I'd purchased enough vodka ahead of time, no worries there!
Only you would run out of lemonade before vodka :drinking1

img_8333-jpg.326565

This burger was HEAVEN. OMG. I like burgers but don't get them all that often in Disney, but I'm so glad I got this one. The " Artisan Roll" had a buttery coating on top and was grilled just a little bit. Our burgers were cooked a perfect medium. Chris had proclaimed his burger at Beaches and Cream a couple days earlier to be the best Disney burger, but this came super duper close to replacing it.
Wow, if it is close to Beaches and Cream that has gotta be good!

img_8334-jpg.326566

Grilled Salmon Salad

Except this isn't what the picture looks like. And while both the current Disney site menu and the allears menu have a salmon salad on them, neither is described like this. Regardless Steve thought this was some of the best salmon he's had and the arugula-wait, let me include my symbol for arugula :crazy2: was very fresh.
Totally with Steve on this one. Let me find my symbol for arugula :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

That's a nice surprise to go back to. The only time I've gotten chocolate on my pillow at Disney was in Disneyland when we stayed at the Grand Californian

All your food looks really good from Geyser Point. I wanted to eat their when we stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but it was so cold out there was no way I could have eaten at an outdoor restaurant. One day I'll get to try the place.

I love the Gyser Point Cheeseburgers I ate so many of them on our 2017 Wilderness Lodge Trip! I’ll admit I still crave them from time to time. I’m hoping to maybe stop for one sometime on this next trip!

and the arugula-wait, let me include my symbol for arugula :crazy2:
That's exactly how my husband feels about arugula :laughing: Whenever he orders anything with a salad, he specifically asks if there's arugula in it. If there is, he orders something else :rotfl:

We asked about dessert but they only had one option and it didn't do anything for us but we did opt for more drinks
Because why the heck not, right?! :cool1:

GP looks like a such a great place
Yum you’re truffles look so good
Burger waffle fries and good drink what else do you need ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter