held back inventory? Myth or legit?

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
I'll preface my question by saying my trust in salespeople is not very high. However my guide thus far has been pretty forthcoming about many things. Trust but verify seems appropriate. Dis has been very good for research.

Long story short we put a deposit down on CCV last weekend. I'm just trying to figure out a timeline of when we get to play with our new toy. Lots of good resale timline stuff here, but the direct sales stuff doesn't seem as current. Poor guide had lost his voice, so it was cracking like teenager. So I feel like I may not have heard everything 100% on the phone, and maybe he told me the timeline and I didn't quite comprehend it at the time.

Saturday we put the deposit down(direct sale).
Monday AM we received and activation email, but have yet to receive our member id. The email suggested that was coming with the closing documents. I've also read the closing documents are online. Of course you can't do anything online unless until you have a member id and activation code.

We tend to vacation the last week of February and into first week of March which puts us close to our 11 month window. I can't help but think with a 10 day waiting period etc we'll miss the first day of our 11 month window.

The guide mentioned we should call for our first reservation rather than online, as they hold back some inventory or have some type of advantage to help first time buyers with their first reservation. Is that true, or a bit of smoke and mirrors? Knowing we are after a studio that is already in short supply, it makes me a little suspect. Obviously could go 1 bedroom, or chance the 7 month thing for other resorts, as we are happy anywhere really.

Thanks for the help.

Lots of good info here and we went into a direct ccv purchase with eyes wide open.

Last edited:
Yes, your member number should be enclosed with the documentation that you need to sign and yes, they tend to have some extra inventory for your first booking. But then again, we are talking about CCV, which has seen studios snapped up within minutes on 11 month bookings.

I'll preface my question by saying my trust in salespeople is not very high. However my guide thus far has been pretty forthcoming about many things. Trust but verify seems appropriate. Dis has been very good for research.

Long story short we put a deposit down on CCV last weekend. I'm just trying to figure out a timeline of when we get to play with our new toy. Lots of good resale timline stuff here, but the direct sales stuff doesn't seem as current. Poor guide had lost his voice, so it was cracking like teenager. So I feel like I may not have heard everything 100% on the phone, and maybe he told me the timeline and I didn't quite comprehend it at the time.

Saturday we put the deposit down(direct sale).
Monday AM we received and activation email, but have yet to receive our member id. The email suggested that was coming with the closing documents. I've also read the closing documents are online. Of course you can't do anything online unless until you have a member id and activation code.

We tend to vacation the last week of February and into first week of March which puts us close to our 11 month window. I can't help but think with a 10 day waiting period etc we'll miss the first day of our 11 month window.

The guide mentioned we should call for our first reservation rather than online, as they hold back some inventory or have some type of advantage to help first time buyers with their first reservation. Is that true, or a bit of smoke and mirrors? Knowing we are after a studio that is already in short supply, it makes me a little suspect. Obviously could go 1 bedroom, or chance the 7 month thing for other resorts, as we are happy anywhere really.

Thanks for the help.

Lots of good info here and we went into a direct ccv purchase with eyes wide open.

Welcome and congratulations! Exciting isn't it? Wow, you can wait a whole year to use it? I would be looking for something sooner myself. Is that last week of Feb, first week of March tied to school schedule, work schedule, or something? Are you able to really go another time if you put in for time off work, or is that time really the time you like to go?
I looked at availablility, and hopefully you will get your number in the next couple days, so can get on and reserve when you want. Go ahead and practice or try as soon as you get it. It is so exciting. Have fun, and let us know.

I would call MS they likely can give you the number now. I had to redo some of my paperwork, which caused my number to change. I called MS and had the number before the mailed documents. They also offered to make the reservation for me. Also some guides will offer to help too, though yours seems to have mentioned talking to MS only. But in a pinch he might be able to make the reservation for you if you can't get the number or MS won't make the reservation without the number.

As long as you paid your deposit you are supposed to be able to make reservations that day or the very latest next.

Also as for withheld inventory it was more prevalent before CCV was fully declared as the undeclared units were easy for Disney to grab. However, I was offered stays at different resorts if I wanted to book a Welcome Home but I made my guide get me that availability not MS. That process is taking rooms that Disney Reserved with their developer points (with the intention to sell for cash) and giving them to you (so not taking them from anyone else).

Well the welcome paperwork was waiting for me when I arrived home from work today.
Our 11 month date according to the calculator is this coming monday.
Date isn't completely locked in, but it's the closest option. Combination of wife's work schedule, my work schedule, son's hockey schedule(and mine as I'm the coach) , and school schedule, make it the ideal time. Crowds are usually lower than the week prior.
Next option is end of April.
We were just there a few weeks ago for the same time period.
Wife and I went to food and wine last year, but we used my marriott points for the swan.
So I think I'm ok. I believe I'm free to use the points as of today, and we agree to buy last Saturday. I was just a little surprised you can book before they've received the full payment. However, I suppose they could cancel on a deadbeat that avoids payment, so no risk for them I guess. I'm guessing they can manage to stay afloat as a company without my money for a few more days.

FWIW, the Welcome Home booking is not an 11 month booking. They will help you with a visit within 6 months of purchase for an initial booking, and can claw back cash inventory if they need to to help get you in.

You'll get your initial "Welcome Home" reservation that while there are no guarantees, Disney will go out of their way to make it happen, even bending the rules at times. I got website access and booked my first stay the day after putting down my deposit.

I wouldn't say they actually "hold back inventory" to help new purchasers...what it more than likely happening is either they are using what are technically cash rooms that have not yet been declared into DVC inventory, so are not yet part of the DVC system or they are pulling back rooms from DVCs retained ownership which are used for maintenance/cash rooms.

While they could help you with your first reservation, like every other company it depends on who you talk to. You will soon find out that DVC/Disney isn't very consistent and the more you know and the more that you make happen, the better your ownership experience will be.

I would contact your guide and ask for his help, tell him that all of this is overwhelming and that you are thinking of rescinding your contract. You will have your confirmed reservation in a studio at CCV toute suite.

:earsboy: Bill

Either way, I'll find out if any "magic" is needed on Monday as that would be our 11 month date. To my knowledge I'm cleared to use my points as of now. So that would be 5 days from deposit. Probably could have been quicker than that if I called.
I'll call Monday at 8am and see what happens and go from there.

Either way, I'll find out if any "magic" is needed on Monday as that would be our 11 month date. To my knowledge I'm cleared to use my points as of now. So that would be 5 days from deposit. Probably could have been quicker than that if I called.
I'll call Monday at 8am and see what happens and go from there.
Online at 8am, phonelines 9. For a CCV studio I'd be online at 8.

Online at 8am, phonelines 9. For a CCV studio I'd be online at 8.
Had it backwards.
So.....online at 8, if I can book what I want, no magic is needed. If I can't then wait until 9, call and hope for a little magic or failing that waitlist.

If you're booking right at 11 months, you should be just fine.

DVC owns at least 2 percent of each resort. If management is willing they can use that inventory for members.

Today is my 11 month day. I was online right at 8, maybe a minute or two before according to my pc time, and was able to book a weeks stay in a Studio without issue. Looked like there was availability the week before which is usually busier, but the weekend just prior to our res did not show any availability in the regular Studio type.

Guess I should call them and finish paying for it. :thumbsup2

So the timeline.
Week ago saturday, called and put a deposit on points.
Wednesday, had my paperwork and member Id(in theory able to book then).
Returned paperwork on Friday.
Today(monday), booked a studio at CCV on my 11 month out day at 8am.

So, 9 day turnaround from the first phone call to completed reservation, and could have been less.

I won't argue that direct is a bargain, but I can say at least it's not slow.

Now just waiting for addonitis to take grip.

Timeline seems right. We purchased at the end of February, and at this point we're just waiting for it to close (in 2 days!!) so I can set up my dues payments. Congrats on your CCV purchase!! Welcome home!

Today is my 11 month day. I was online right at 8, maybe a minute or two before according to my pc time, and was able to book a weeks stay in a Studio without issue. Looked like there was availability the week before which is usually busier, but the weekend just prior to our res did not show any availability in the regular Studio type.

The weekend just before February 25 is the Princess half marathon weekend, which is actually the highest DVC demand time that exists, particularly for studios, during any time between mid-Jan and late-Sep.

Also, rooms that are often given to new purchasers are not "held-back" inventory because they are not DVC member inventory. The reason the sales rep can often get a new purchaser a room that might not be available via a DVC reservation is because the room he can get for you is still in the developer's (DVD's) inventory, which is either part of the small percentage of the resort DVD keeps even when a resort is sold out or part of the resort that has not yet been declared into DVC inventory that can be sold.

Last edited:
Just for giggles, 4 days later, I looked at the same time period to book a studio, and only one day of the 7 had availability.

Wish I had looked later in the day on Monday.

Just for giggles, 4 days later, I looked at the same time period to book a studio, and only one day of the 7 had availability.

Wish I had looked later in the day on Monday.

I don't understand. Are you saying you did not get the time period you wanted? In your previous post, it sounded like you did. Why do you wish you had looked later in the day on Monday?

I got what I wanted, no problem.
I wish I looked later in the day to see if it sold out same day. I know it's sold out now, 4 days later....just wondering when it sold out. So lets say I waited until lunch to book, would I have been able to get a suite? Mostly curious for future bookings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!