help a first time grower of pumpkins

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
this is our first year growing pumpkins and we have a few plants that took off early and already (mid Aug) have 2-4 bright orange pumpkins on them. (they started turning in late july and by now are full orange top and bottom. ) the plants have all started producing new fruit and i am wondering if i should harvest the orange ones to give the new ones more plant energy. however, if i pick those orange ones this early will they still be around come Oct/Nov when we will want them around for fall decoration?

- lori

Pumpkins are mature when the stems connecting the pumpkin to the vine begin to shrivel. Pumpkins can be harvested whenever they are a deep, solid color (orange for most varieties) and the pumpkin rind is hard. If the pumpkin vines remain healthy, harvest in late September or early October, before heavy frosts.

Harvest pumpkins before the first hard frost. Cut pumpkins from the vines carefully, using pruning shears or a sharp knife and leave 3" to 4" of stem attached. Snapping the stems from the vines results in many broken or missing "handles." Pumpkins without stems usually do not keep well. Wear gloves when harvesting pumpkins because many varieties have sharp prickles on their stems.

In short, leave them on the vine as long as possible, as long as the vine is healthy. They'll keep longer. If you were going to try for larger fruit, you should have picked off all the flowers but one before they set fruit, then the energy would have gone into the one or two...but I don't think removing the pumpkins now would do much to the remaining pumpkins. If there are more coming, I wonder if they'll ripen by the time the vine starts dying, anyway. Don't sacrifice the ones you have to try to get more.

Do you know if I can grow pumpkins in Florida? I know Disney does, but they have pixie dust and can grow anything.

i love to eat pumpkins especially the flowers and unriped fruits.
we have a lots of pumpkins here in our backyard together with string beans and eggplant :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter