• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help a first timer

Dreamer24

Mouseketeer
We are beginning to plan a trip for next spring, 8 days to be split between the big island and Aulani. We have 2 young children.

Where should we stay on the big island? We were looking Kona or Hilo bc there appear to be a lot to do in those areas but we should we consider a different place?

Besides this board, what are your other favorite sits for trip planning?

I would reconsider splitting islands if you only have 8 days. Remember, you are going to lose half a day to travel when you island hop. If you really want to add in the BI to your trip, stay on whatever side if the island has the most interesting stuff to you. The drive between Kailua-Kona and Hilo is about 160 miles round trip. So if you’re in Hilo and want to see something on the other side, that’s 4 hours devoted just to get there and back not to mention the drive time spent going from site to site.

Have you considered Maui or Kauai? They are more suited for short stays.

We just did four days on the big island followed by two days on Oahu. On the big island we stayed at the Military Camp in volcanoes national park. If you have ever served in the military and are honorably discharged you can stay there. I think we could have found something cheaper but staying in the park was a fun experience. My grandson loved it. Saw the lava at night - glowing- and walked a lot during the day. He earned 2 ranger badges. That said it rained every day in the park. We ventured out of the park and went whale watching which was a lot of fun and saw a mama and baby. We also stopped at the black sand beach and saw turtles and put our feet into the water. We also drove around to Kona and got Macadamia nuts and saw a lot of the waterfalls. The couple of days at the Aulani we swam and swam and visited with my mother, who lives nearby. When I ask my grandson what his favorite part of the trip was he says "Visiting Great Nanni and Stitch :)"

Have you been to Hawaii and seen all the major sites such as Pearl Harbor? If so, then I think you'll be ok with four days at Aulani.

My favorite area on the Big Island is Waimea, but there's nothing for tourists to do there. Still, if you are driving between Hilo and Kona, it's a nice place to stop for lunch.

Between Hilo and Kona, I prefer Hilo because it's very low key and is a good example of "real life" in Hawaii, albeit at a much slower pace than most other Hawaiian cities. Many of the families have lived there for generations and there are still a lot of mom-and-pop type stores and restaurants. The downside to Hilo is that the hotels are unimpressive. The Naniloa is arguably the nicest hotel in town (at least since Double Tree took over) and it's somewhere between a WDW value and moderate.

Kona is touristy and more commercialized, but you'll find deluxe accommodations on that side of the island. It's much sunnier and the beaches are nicer imo.

The only thing you DON'T want to do is commute back and forth between Hilo and Kona. Switch hotels halfway through your stay if you really want to see both side seats of the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter