Help! Just found out DD8 has an egg allergy

Cleokitty

Mouseketeer
AAAHHH. Just found out today that DD8 is allergic to eggs--any eggs, all eggs, brushed on for glaze, added to pancakes, egg protein added to shampoos, etc. Starting today we are supposed to eliminate ALL eggs from her diet. We leave for our trip on Sun, 12/12. I read somewhere (a few days ago) that if there is a severe food allergy, you can talk to the mgrs of the restaurants where you have ps's and they may be able to accomodate your dietary needs.

Anyone know anything else about this? I'm just so stunned. At least now we know why she's been so sick. I glanced through the posts on the disabilities board but didn't see anything food related. I have my info from the MD about her allergy, and he gave me some other sources to look at so I'm working on this from that end but now I just need to talk to some folks at Disney and see if she'll be able to get at least one good sit-down meal a day that is egg free.

Anyone have any info to share? Thanks for any help.

Kim

Call WDW-DINE and ask them for the phone numbers to the restaurants where you have your priority seatings. Give each place a call, speak to a chef or leave a message, and someone will get back to you. They will let you know what your DD can eat and will create something special for her, if necessary. You have to call ASAP since they normally like to hear from you 7 days prior. I have the numbers to just about every restaurant, so you can PM me for numbers if you want to save money.

P.S. Egg-free meals are very doable, my DS has egg and wheat allergies, which pretty much rules out breakfast at most restaurants, but at WDW, he is treated to gluten and egg-free Mickey waffles.

...contacting the restaurants where I have already made ressies. My DH was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago with Celiac, which is a gluten intolerance. I also spoke to AKL concierge, and they seem to be more than willing to help us out also! (that's part of the reason why we are doing a split-stay ~ so I can just prepar his meals while staying at the FT W cabins!)

My DS (now 5) was diagnosed with a severe egg allergy when he was 13 mo. I find that Disney and cruising (Carnival) are the easiest vacations for us. Don't worry - call the restaurants that you have PSs at and have them note the allergy. When you check in at a restaurant be sure to tell the hostess that a member of your party has a food allergy and a chef will come talk to you. We went several places without a PS in April (Chef Mickey's was one) and they were very accomodating. At the buffets a chef will come out and walk the buffet with you and let you know what is egg-free. If there isn't enough of a selection (for example Crystal Palace breakfast), they will get something for you - they got my son an egg-free waffle.

Of course we always carry the Epi-Pen and benedryl, but our experience at Disney was that every restaurant had someone able to help (unlike some of the places we went to off-site in Orlando - we had to leave more than one because it was too much trouble for someone to check ingredients on foods for us).

Good Luck

Thanks for all the info. I feel better now. The last few weeks have been some wild ride around here and we are all so looking forward to our much needed vacation. I'll begin calling tomorrow morning when I can think straight again. Thanks again.

Kim

...I know the anxiety and then, the release of the suspense and tension now that you finally know what is wrong. We wnet through that same thing with my DH for almost 2 years now. We live in a fairly small town, where he is pretty well-known, and people were wondering whether he had AIDS, or cancer, or something else just as horrible! Now that he has been diagnosed, yes, it's just an inconvenience to have to read EVERY label, and yes, it's a 'pain' to have prepare special meals, or modify some of my older recipes, but at least we can move forward. He has actually gained back about 7 lbs in the last 5 or 6 weeks (he lost over 38 lbs, yet was eating like there's no tomorrow!). That is why we really need this vaca; just to get rid of the stress that has been built up in the last 2 years! Believe me, WDW will work with you and your family, so you can all enjoy delicious meals and a memorable vacation! :teeth:

Kim

I know how scary it can be when you first find out about an egg allergy, but as others have stated WDW is one of the best places that you can go with a food allergy. They are by far one of the most accommodating places especially at the buffets. Our DS10 was allergic (severely) from birth until the age of 4 to eggs, but thankfully he has outgrown it and we actually celebrated with a trip to WDW. The most important things as others have said is to have Benedryl and Epi-pens with you at all times (Medic-Alert has a great red fanny pack that fits them perfectly along with any puffers if she has asthma too like my DS does). A Medic-Alert bracelet is also very important to have as well. Just a few suggestions that might help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter